Mysterious $70 credit from RCCL

I just got off the Voyager, and we received a letter on the 3rd night explaining the refund. Here's the gist of it:

On March 10, 2008, RCI decided to eliminate its fuel supplement charge for any bookings made before November 16th, 2007. This was "after working closely with the Florida Attorney General's office".;)

Quote:

• Guests booked before November 16th 2007, who have paid the fuel supplement and have taken their cruise will receive a refund through the form of payment used to purchase their sailing.
  • Guest booked before November 16, 2007, who have paid the fuel supplement and are currently sailing will receive their refund as an onboard credit during their cruise.

We checked our account using the interactive TV in our room, and sure enough, there were two $35 credits on our account. (Actually, my travel agent had already informed me of the refund just before we departed, but it was nice to get the official statement)

I just got off the Voyager, and we received a letter on the 3rd night explaining the refund. Here's the gist of it:

On March 10, 2008, RCI decided to eliminate its fuel supplement charge for any bookings made before November 16th, 2007. This was "after working closely with the Florida Attorney General's office".;)

Quote:

• Guests booked before November 16th 2007, who have paid the fuel supplement and have taken their cruise will receive a refund through the form of payment used to purchase their sailing.
  • Guest booked before November 16, 2007, who have paid the fuel supplement and are currently sailing will receive their refund as an onboard credit during their cruise.

We checked our account using the interactive TV in our room, and sure enough, there were two $35 credits on our account. (Actually, my travel agent had already informed me of the refund just before we departed, but it was nice to get the official statement)

Yep, we got that nice bonus $70 OBC as well. I really had no complaint since I actually booked the trip after the deadline but because my original booking was in October then changed ships we still got the OBC. :D

I'm pretty sure that you will see the surcharge on your outstanding bill you received when making your deposit. However, since you haven't paid the balance due, it will be removed.

I booked before November 2007, but paid in full before they announced they would refund it. Therefore, I'm getting an OBC. Personally, if I paid cash, they should refund it that way, but I'm happy overall.

Stupid question. But what if you made your booking before Nov 2007 but have not paid the balance in full yet. The balance is not due for a month. Will I have to pay the fuel surcharge? My sailing is in June 2008 but I made my reservations in July 2007.

If you check your on line account with RCCL, you will see it was reversed, or removed.

I have a similar situation but I used an online TA, not direct with RCCL. I booked in Oct 2007 for Oct 2008 FOS. I got an email from the TA informing us of the fuel surcharge, however I have not gotten anything to advise of this reversal. We have only paid the $500 back in Oct when we made the booking, balance is due in August. So do we avoid this surcharge?

I have a similar situation but I used an online TA, not direct with RCCL. I booked in Oct 2007 for Oct 2008 FOS. I got an email from the TA informing us of the fuel surcharge, however I have not gotten anything to advise of this reversal. We have only paid the $500 back in Oct when we made the booking, balance is due in August. So do we avoid this surcharge?

Yes, since you booked before November 16th, when you go to make final payment the fuel surcharge will not be included in your final payment amount.

Archived