Hey I have a few questions for fellow solo's.

TTEllis

Hey has anybody booked a cruise for this fall Nov./Dec.-ish?? Im just trying to get the best price on a fall sailing and "timing in booking" is EVERYTHING. The price quotes I've been getting are all over the board, once I book that is my final price, if the price drops I DONT get the discount I dont care what my TA says.:rolleyes:Anyway in the event one of you nice folks were to book a cruise this fall when would YOU do it?? Thanks alot Todd

Hey has anybody booked a cruise for this fall Nov./Dec.-ish?? Im just trying to get the best price on a fall sailing and "timing in booking" is EVERYTHING. The price quotes I've been getting are all over the board, once I book that is my final price, if the price drops I DONT get the discount I dont care what my TA says.:rolleyes:Anyway in the event one of you nice folks were to book a cruise this fall when would YOU do it?? Thanks alot Todd

I am sailing in December and I think I got a very good price from my PVP. I also am flying and prepaying tips. The price I paid in april has increased $70.00 I have found that the sooner you book the lower the price. With the rising cost of gas and airlines I would book now. I have never been denied OBC from my PVP

Todd, I'm sorry to say but the pricing just keeps going up, better to lock in a price early. I booked my 11/30 cruise last December and got a good price which is now a truly great price. I got a balcony cabin for a price that is $800 less than they are now charging for an o/v cabin. All the balconies are booked, there are only a few o/v and inside cabins left and we don't sail until November! Book early, it pays to lock in the price and since you are in the penalty (after final payment) time already, just get the best deal you can. BTW, your TA may not be wrong about getting a discount if the price goes down. The c/l may not reduce the actual cost of your cruise but might give you an OBC. Good luck and happy cruising.

Todd, I'm sorry to say but the pricing just keeps going up, better to lock in a price early. I booked my 11/30 cruise last December and got a good price which is now a truly great price. I got a balcony cabin for a price that is $800 less than they are now charging for an o/v cabin. All the balconies are booked, there are only a few o/v and inside cabins left and we don't sail until November! Book early, it pays to lock in the price and since you are in the penalty (after final payment) time already, just get the best deal you can. BTW, your TA may not be wrong about getting a discount if the price goes down. The c/l may not reduce the actual cost of your cruise but might give you an OBC. Good luck and happy cruising.

Hey Im looking at the Emerald Princess out of Port Everglades on 11/30 10 days Southern Carib. Explorer. that sailing has my name all over it. Everytime I check the price of the cruise the price keeps going down but air goes up a little. Anyway was going to go ahead a book it but everybody else keeps telling me to wait, regardless Im going to book it within the next 30 days and be done with it. Thanks alot Todd

Hey Im looking at the Emerald Princess out of Port Everglades on 11/30 10 days Southern Carib. Explorer. that sailing has my name all over it. Everytime I check the price of the cruise the price keeps going down but air goes up a little. Anyway was going to go ahead a book it but everybody else keeps telling me to wait, regardless Im going to book it within the next 30 days and be done with it. Thanks alot Todd

Todd, If the cruise you want is on 11/30 you can book it now and take advantage of price drops b/c you aren't near the final payment date until at least September--for my 11/30 cruise the final payment date is September 21. But you are right, airfare keeps rising so it would be best to book that sooner rather than later.

Don't know if you've been to the S. Carib before but you will love it!

Todd, I booked a cruise for later October at the end of January. I knew what ship,what cabin, what date and what ports I wanted to visit. My normal cruise agency offer great rates on cruises within 90 days of sailing, but alot of times they don't have the HAL sailings that I want.

I had noticed some drops in the price of my cruise in April, but was in fear of having to cancel and rebook. I want fixed dining on my cruise and had figured that since I've booked so early that I was at the top of the listing.

Prior to payment, I noticed on the online agency website that my cruise had a big price drop! When I call to make my payment, I asked the ta about a rate adjustment since her agency was the one offering it. A few hours later, I had a $698 price drop!! My cruise is now paid for in full months ahead of the trip.

As a rule, the fall (September until two weeks into December) is a great time for solo cruisers. I have sail as low as $600 on a seven day. I'm starting to get some fall rates now and they are reasonable. The only thing that might jack the pricing up is the fuel charge and port fees. I'm noticing a huge increase in that area. This can add an additional $150 to $400 to the total of your cruise.

If you are flexiable, wait until the end of July and early August. The cruiselines are trying to fill up the cabins for the fall. If you have your eye on a certain ship, you might want to figure when the closing date for final payment and check right after that for savings.

I hope this helps!

Happy sailing!!

Todd, I booked a cruise for later October at the end of January. I knew what ship,what cabin, what date and what ports I wanted to visit. My normal cruise agency offer great rates on cruises within 90 days of sailing, but alot of times they don't have the HAL sailings that I want.

I had noticed some drops in the price of my cruise in April, but was in fear of having to cancel and rebook. I want fixed dining on my cruise and had figured that since I've booked so early that I was at the top of the listing.

Prior to payment, I noticed on the online agency website that my cruise had a big price drop! When I call to make my payment, I asked the ta about a rate adjustment since her agency was the one offering it. A few hours later, I had a $698 price drop!! My cruise is now paid for in full months ahead of the trip.

As a rule, the fall (September until two weeks into December) is a great time for solo cruisers. I have sail as low as $600 on a seven day. I'm starting to get some fall rates now and they are reasonable. The only thing that might jack the pricing up is the fuel charge and port fees. I'm noticing a huge increase in that area. This can add an additional $150 to $400 to the total of your cruise.

If you are flexiable, wait until the end of July and early August. The cruiselines are trying to fill up the cabins for the fall. If you have your eye on a certain ship, you might want to figure when the closing date for final payment and check right after that for savings.

I hope this helps!

Happy sailing!!

This is some good advice I booked my Dec. cruise in Feb. and I got an excellent rate I did not notice that the first two weeks in Dec. was a good time to cruise I cruised solo last year and paid about 450.00.

I was just trying to avoid the 200% club this year and that doesnt seem like its going to happen, I REALLY want to go on this sailing, I have to have a balcony, and that balcony KILLS my credit card everytime. CHOMP!! Thanks and I'll let you know how it works out Todd

I was just trying to avoid the 200% club this year and that doesnt seem like its going to happen, I REALLY want to go on this sailing, I have to have a balcony, and that balcony KILLS my credit card everytime. CHOMP!! Thanks and I'll let you know how it works out Todd

I know what you mean about the 200% but hopefully the prices will continue to drop so it won't be so bad even at 200%. It if makes you feel any better, I have to have a balcony, too. :) Have a great cruise!

Todd,

I booked mine in February! I got a pretty good deal & the cabin I wanted for November out of NY. I think the trick is either book early or book late but the inbetween time seems to be most expensive. Cruise lines want to sell cabins so discounts are early or they are trying to fill unbooked cabins, hence savings closer to cruise date.

• 1 month later...
Todd,

I booked mine in February! I got a pretty good deal & the cabin I wanted for November out of NY. I think the trick is either book early or book late but the inbetween time seems to be most expensive. Cruise lines want to sell cabins so discounts are early or they are trying to fill unbooked cabins, hence savings closer to cruise date.

I always book a minimum a year out because the cheapest price is generally the day they first go on sale. ON RCCL I put down a deposit for the following year because I get a discount and/or onboard credit and Ive locked in the price. I can cancel for a full refund or move the deposit $$$ to another cruise I find up to 6 weeks before sailing without penalty, so why not lock it in when you have nothing to lose?

As for the "Hot deals" to fill the boat just prior to sailing...thats a gamble. Depending on where you are flying to/from, many times IF there is a flight available you eat your savings on a higher airfare. Or, if the only flights open are pre cruise, you have to spend savings on a hotel....just a thought

I hope this helps!

Happy sailing!!

I guess that this cruise is really meant for me!! On my final payment, the price had drop again!! My final payment was $76 less than what was listed on my payment form!!

I always found the best rates for sailing solo in the fall. Esp late September to the first two weeks in December. There are some great rates out there!! Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

I booked this November's cruise last December. I've been watching the price ever since and it hasn't varied more than $25 in either direction. I booked next year's cruise earlier this year and will be watching the price on that one too.

I've already booked and paid for my airfare since that keeps going up, although JetBlue will give you a credit if the price goes down.

I cruise during Thanksgiving week, so the price tends to be a bit higher than usual for the Fall sailings. I book early to make sure I get the cabin I want, then watch for price changes.

I guess that this cruise is really meant for me!! On my final payment, the price had drop again!! My final payment was $76 less than what was listed on my payment form!!

I always found the best rates for sailing solo in the fall. Esp late September to the first two weeks in December. There are some great rates out there!! Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

That is a fantastic cruise with all those ports! Have you cruised Holland America, specifically Maasdam before. I am checking out airfare to see if this is a possibility for me. What cabin deck are you going to be on? I have never done insides, but this price certainly is very tempting!:D :D

I know what you mean about the 200% but hopefully the prices will continue to drop so it won't be so bad even at 200%. It if makes you feel any better, I have to have a balcony, too. :) Have a great cruise!

I wish I could but, I like to cruise to much. So, I'll have to stick with the Carnival 1A's and when RCCL puts the SS at 150%

I used to cruise Carnival back in the 90's all the time(true fun), those 1A's everybody talks about those arent the infamous "incinerator suites" are they. Sardine can over the trash compactor down in the bottom of the hull directly on top of the engine turbines!! We met some folks back in '96 on the Sensation, they told us they thought there "cabin" was a broom closet with a mattress. I certainly hope thats not the case with those 1A's?? As a solo I cant imagine getting stuck in one of those for a week much less 10 days.

I used to cruise Carnival back in the 90's all the time(true fun), those 1A's everybody talks about those arent the infamous "incinerator suites" are they. Sardine can over the trash compactor down in the bottom of the hull directly on top of the engine turbines!! We met some folks back in '96 on the Sensation, they told us they thought there "cabin" was a broom closet with a mattress. I certainly hope thats not the case with those 1A's?? As a solo I cant imagine getting stuck in one of those for a week much less 10 days.

I had a 1A cabin on the Miracle in 2006. I was on the Rivera Deck near the elevators. I had two twin beds which the cabin steward put together. There were two chairs, a small coffee table for seating. There was plenty of closet and storage space. The restroom was with a shower.

There was plenty of room to move about. I loved being near the elevators because I was close to everything. I never heard any noise from them at all!

The best part of the inside cabin, great to rest!!

Now I know on some of the newer Carnival ships, there are 1A cabins with portholes. You can place an thread of the Carnival board and I know someone can tell you which cabins.

One reason I like Carnival is the 1A are great prices and who spend alot of time in their cabin anyhow??

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08!!

yes, I'm sailing solo!!!!:D :D

That is a fantastic cruise with all those ports! Have you cruised Holland America, specifically Maasdam before. I am checking out airfare to see if this is a possibility for me. What cabin deck are you going to be on? I have never done insides, but this price certainly is very tempting!:D :D

I cruise on the Oosterdam (2004),Westerdam (2005) and the Maasdam (2007) before. I'm on "A" deck this time with an outside cabin. Last year I was on the main deck with an inside cabin.

I picked this cruise mainly because of the ports. There are several that I really wanted to visit.

I noticed that the pricing has gone down quite a bit for this cruise. I went ahead and booked it earlier this year for two reasons. One was because of the ports and two, I know that some cruises go down in pricing, that's not always the case. This was the cruise I really want to take. I discovered last year on the Maasdam that I really like the longer cruises and I loved the ship.

Airfare is not a big issue for me since I work for an airline. I still have to pay for my baggage and my fare is a reduce rate. I do fly at least a day (sometimes) two ahead to make sure that I get there.

Happy sailing!!

Second time around and my 40th birthday cruise on the

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

CRUISES

Fascination (the one that started it all!!) 3 day Caribbean--Sept 2001

M/S Columbia ---Back to Back Alaskan Inside Passage Cruise --June 2002*

Oosterdam---7 day Western Caribbean--October 2004*

Westerdam---7 day Western Caribbean--November 2005*

Miracle--7 day Western Caribbean--April 2006*

Maasdam--10 day Southern Caribbean--April 2007*

Maasdam--14 day Southern Caribbean--October 2008*

2009???? I don't know yet!!:D

*Solo Cruise!!

Can someone help me with room choices? I want to go solo(it will be my first time doing this) and I want a 1a room with a port hole so that I can see out. Can any one suggest a room and on what ship do they have these? I would really like a balcony, but know that I can not afford it. Thanks for any help that you can give, kmbb

I'm really nerous about trying this by myself, so any help is appriciated.

Can someone help me with room choices? I want to go solo(it will be my first time doing this) and I want a 1a room with a port hole so that I can see out. Can any one suggest a room and on what ship do they have these? I would really like a balcony, but know that I can not afford it. Thanks for any help that you can give, kmbb

When you go to book your cruise you can see a layout of the decks and where the available 1A's are. There is a legend that will tell you which ones have windows or portholes. It's usually the ones way in the front on the Main deck that have the portholes and the 2 in the far back that have the windows. Unfortunately, Carnival has converted some of those 1A window cabins to 6A's so now they're the same price as any outside cabin, with the same supplement.

I just got one on the Carnival Victory for my first solo. Cabin 1202, priced like an interior, with 2 port holes and only about 70% of the two-person rate.

jpg1747--thanks for the information, I'll be checking into it soon. Kinda nervous about going solo, but I'll give it a try.

Leo jay--What ship are you going on and what time of year? Sounds like that would work for me, Thanks for the information, kmbb

jpg1747--thanks for the information, I'll be checking into it soon. Kinda nervous about going solo, but I'll give it a try.

Leo jay--What ship are you going on and what time of year? Sounds like that would work for me, Thanks for the information, kmbb

I was nervous too. I have done 2 solo cruises. The first one was an escorted singles cruise, but the second was a 17 Day Panama Canal. Both were wonderful. I am now booked for 3 more. Don't worry...Get Cruising:cool:

Having read so many of your helpful messages, it makes me green with envy at the prices you pay in North America.

I am in the UK and it's really pricey over here, but I have found after quite a lot of cruises it is best to book as early as possible. The cruise lines do offer discounts because it saves them on their advertising budget to be filled up sooner rather than later.

The rule over here is that you have to pay the balance 12 weeks before departure, so if the price has gone down, AND you have a travel agent worth their salt, they should be able to get the discount applied to your booking when you come to final payment.

Doing this gives you the best choice of cabins, dining arrangements and flights where needed. Also peace of mind knowing that everything you want will be there for you.

Booking late means that you will not get as good a selection of cabins, may not be able to choose which dining you prefer and the flights may be gone or indirect or more expensive, all things to be considered.

Besides, if you are a great cruisser, use the old maxim. Book early and often!!:D

-------------

Graham

Archived