Hey I have a few questions for fellow solo's.

TTEllis

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am going to cruise for the first time solo and I would like to know if anyone has any insight on which cruise line might be best for me. I fly into FLL on the 13th so departure date would like be the 15th or 16th and the port could be either FLL or Miami. I have looked at HAL (Westerdam) and Carnival, both the Liberty and the Valor.

I am a 52 year old female who would like to meet some people, relax, have a few laughs, and enjoy some entertainment. Although I would enjoy dressing up for formal nights I wouldn't want to feel I had to every night. While I enjoyed my cruise last year I do not wish to do the freestyle dining this time around as I did not find that it was easy to meet people as would assigned seating.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

PS I work in emergency services (Supervisor in a 911 Centre) and it will be so nice not hearing any phones ringing ;)

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am going to cruise for the first time solo and I would like to know if anyone has any insight on which cruise line might be best for me. I fly into FLL on the 13th so departure date would like be the 15th or 16th and the port could be either FLL or Miami. I have looked at HAL (Westerdam) and Carnival, both the Liberty and the Valor.

I am a 52 year old female who would like to meet some people, relax, have a few laughs, and enjoy some entertainment. Although I would enjoy dressing up for formal nights I wouldn't want to feel I had to every night. While I enjoyed my cruise last year I do not wish to do the freestyle dining this time around as I did not find that it was easy to meet people as would assigned seating.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

PS I work in emergency services (Supervisor in a 911 Centre) and it will be so nice not hearing any phones ringing ;)

Sailing solo myself, Carnival has always delivered a great cruise for a great price, considering the single supplement us solos pay. I'm doing the Liberty out of Miami December 13 and the price was too good to pass up for an oceanview. With the exception of formal nights, people usually dress fairly casually the other nights. No lack of entertainment on Carnival either. I have always met many singles and solos on CCL and loved each trip.

Good luck with your search:)

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know of some good sailings leaving Galveston/Texas area for solo cruiser in 2009? I am considering taking my 1st solo cruise that year and not really sure how to go about finding a good cruise without paying 200%.

Thanks!

I am planning my first solo cruise in 2009 as well. Carnival seems to have the most attractive single supplements. I am leaning towards RCI even though I'll be stuck paying the 200%. If you can book within 60 days of sailing, there are some bargains to be had.

Anyone know of some good sailings leaving Galveston/Texas area for solo cruiser in 2009? I am considering taking my 1st solo cruise that year and not really sure how to go about finding a good cruise without paying 200%.

Thanks!

Carnival has a ship sailing from there, check out the 1A cabins which are around 150% for a solo.

Carnival has a ship sailing from there, check out the 1A cabins which are around 150% for a solo.

Do you know which ship? I have been on the Escasty and was not impressed with it. Any info as to what cruise and the best rates would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Do you know which ship? I have been on the Escasty and was not impressed with it. Any info as to what cruise and the best rates would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

All the ships have 1A's. The Esctasy is an older ship as it's part of the Fantasy class so it sounds like you may enjoy one of the newer ships. The Miracle is part of the Spirt Class, the Splendor is the newest but that's in England than going to Florida than to the West coast and the second newest is the Freedom which is in Italy but going to come back to Florida in November I believe. The rates always depend on the dates and other factors. But you can go to thier site, check the dates and the pricing. But the best prices will be in the 1A's.

The key to finding the 1A's is to click on "Do you have a fare code? Click here " when you're at the pricing screen because the prices that you see don't take into account the 1A's.

For instance, I just went to the 11/22 sailing and the 1A for a solo person was $748.50 +taxes and surcharges for an 8 day cruise.

-Mark

I Usually go with Carnival, but was able to find a 15 day TA with RCCL for $399.00! So, as a single, I am paying $524.00....woo-hoo! I think you have to get on everyone's e-mail list and just keep watching the sales.

I just can't affort to sail if I have to pay 200%! BTY..this will be my 2nd solo......I am hooked :)

Thanks in advance.

The Carnival Conquest sails out of Galveston. A number of the 1A's have portholes as well. Some very good deals for solo sailors...good luck! :)

The key to finding the 1A's is to click on "Do you have a fare code? Click here" when you're at the pricing screen because the prices that you see don't take into account the 1A's.

-Mark

This is indeed one of the keys to finding the 1A fares ...unfortunately the CCL website is very unfriendly about giving up all the available fares, ...you have to know how to manipulate it and it's not obvious how to do that.

If you can't find the 1A fare, or even if you CAN, it's a good idea to call the cruise line and ask for the best fare, because sometimes there are fares that don't show on the website (1A, residency, senior, fireman, military, etc.).

On a personal note, hey "teach2travel", where in "sunny California" are you? I'm in Oceanside (north of San Diego); and also I have teaching in my background. Would love to chat maybe: enigmasd2003 at yahoo . com.

• 6 months later...
I had a 1A on my last cruise - room 2217 on Carnival Valor. Loved it. So much so on my Nov 09 cruise I am going to try for the same room.

I'm glad I found your old post about Valor 2217 because I just booked it for November 1, 2009. I got scared bc I saw your were trying to get it for November 2009.... Then I saw your future cruise is already booked Novermber 8, 2009. So I'll keep it nice and clean for you!!! I was worried about the room because I got a great deal and I was suspicious that there was something wrong with it!!! This is my first solo cruise so I am a little nervouse. Have fun:)

Hiya

I'm booked on Nov 30 on RCI Brilliance of the Seas. I'm paying about 170% for the solo penalty. I have a few more payments. I booked through a TA. If the price drops, do I have to call them to get a lower rate or is it automatically applied? If the price drop is substantial, does it make more sense to cancel and rebook?

I'm excited to go on a long cruise, bummed about paying double fare because I'm alone and worried that I should have waited longer to book as the prices drop. What would you experienced solo-ers do?

D

Hiya

I'm booked on Nov 30 on RCI Brilliance of the Seas. I'm paying about 170% for the solo penalty. I have a few more payments. I booked through a TA. If the price drops, do I have to call them to get a lower rate or is it automatically applied? If the price drop is substantial, does it make more sense to cancel and rebook?

I'm excited to go on a long cruise, bummed about paying double fare because I'm alone and worried that I should have waited longer to book as the prices drop. What would you experienced solo-ers do?

D

D, RCI will honor price drops right up to sailing, as long as they aren't part of a "new booking only" special. I've caught a number of price drops for both my 2009 Alaska and Caribbean cruises--$925 so far for the Caribbean, including a $325 C&A certicate which they honored at full value. The Alaska cruise dropped about $500, including a resident's discount. Keep checking and when you find one, have them apply it. Check the main RCI board, Sabbo has a software that will automatically check for price changes. It is free and works really well.

Happy cruising.

Thanks Ginnie,

Wow, downloading Sabbo now! THANKS!

D, glad you found it. it is a wondedful little bit of software, isn't it? and you can turn it off (it starts up with your computer) if you don't have cruises booked. What am I saying? When don't we have cruises booked?? LOL

I'd love to hear what you think of Brillance.

D, RCI will honor price drops right up to sailing, as long as they aren't part of a "new booking only" special. I've caught a number of price drops for both my 2009 Alaska and Caribbean cruises--$925 so far for the Caribbean, including a $325 C&A certicate which they honored at full value. The Alaska cruise dropped about $500, including a resident's discount. Keep checking and when you find one, have them apply it. Check the main RCI board, Sabbo has a software that will automatically check for price changes. It is free and works really well.

Happy cruising.

How do I find that Sabbo site? I tried google and it didn't seem to show up.thanks..:)

How do I find that Sabbo site? I tried google and it didn't seem to show up.thanks..:)

Sabbo is the screen name for a guy who posts regularly on the RCI board. Go there and search for Sabbo or cruise shark (the name he gave his software) and you'll find it. When I downloaded it it only tracked RCI cruises but I know he has been updating it.

Just an FYI, he has provided this for free to whoever wants it but on the website there is a place to contribute a little cash if you so desire.

Happy cruising.

I have noticed some of the expensive luxury lines/expedition ships have no single surcharge. Do any of the mainstream lines have no single surcharge?

No, they don't.

The expensive lines don't have a high single supplement because

actually, the price of the actual cruise is very high.

(well, its high to me anyway).

I prefer to just deal with the supplement and thankfully

can afford it. After being on my own for over 25 years,

sailing solo is the only way for me to go.....I value my

own space too much to give it up.

Sometimes you can find 140% supplements but as for

00%, I have never seen that on any of the mainstream lines.

Hey has anybody booked a cruise for this fall Nov./Dec.-ish?? Im just trying to get the best price on a fall sailing and "timing in booking" is EVERYTHING. The price quotes I've been getting are all over the board, once I book that is my final price, if the price drops I DONT get the discount I dont care what my TA says.:rolleyes:Anyway in the event one of you nice folks were to book a cruise this fall when would YOU do it?? Thanks alot Todd
What do you mean you don't get a discount with a price drop. I just recieved a little over 39% of the total price I paid as a refund AFTER final payment from Royal Caribbean.

the SS chg as part of the price..my DH being an airline emp allows me toget the interline rate, whic almost irradicates it. I book g'tee cabn so I take what I get and am often upgraded

I have noticed some of the expensive luxury lines/expedition ships have no single surcharge. Do any of the mainstream lines have no single surcharge?

MMDown, none of the mainstream cruise lines have eliminated the single supplement, so you will always pay some supplement but sometimes you can find reduced single supplements. As an example, Holland sometimes has inside cabins at 125-150% but not on all cruises. My two Royal Caribbean cruises for this year are both now priced at lowered than 200%, although when I booked both were at 200%. I also get further discounts b/c of RCI's loyalty program, C&A certificates and Next Cruise program which has brought down the cost of both cruises significantly. I would suggest shopping around, a lot, especially in this ecomomy.

Happy cruising.

Archived