CB Canada New England 8/24-8/31

beckcab

Just off the CB today. What a wonderful vacation! My DD (14) and sister went on this cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze. We got to the port about 12:30 and were onboard by 1:00 PM We went to the Horizon Court to get some lunch and it seemed much more organized than embarkation day last year.

I had been reading about the Chef's Table for several months and one of my first stops was to see the Maitre D to request the Chef's Table. As several other writers had mentioned we were told we would receive a letter with further information. That letter came the next day saying an orientation meeting would be held that day at 11:00 AM--the same time as our CC meet and greet. I sent my sister to the Chef's Table orientation and I went to the CC meet and greet.

We had anytime dining and Sunday night the wait in both the Palm and the Coral was about 40 minutes. We went to Sterling's instead because we were hungry. The upcharge of $15/per person is definitely worth it. The shrimp cocktail and the filets are wonderful!

Monday August 25 was a sea day. We had gorgeous weather and very smooth sailing. We would never have known an engine or a generator was down.

The meet and greet was attended by about 40-50 people and it was nice to put faces with names. James Deering (Cruise Director) attended our M & G and talked about the engine problems, the upcoming dry dock, a new ship tour that was tested on the last cruise and will be started on the Ruby. Incidentally, formal nights on this cruise were Monday and Friday.

Tuesday we were in Halifax. We had arranged for a private tour with Jonathan at info@yourcab.ca. Jonathan met us at the port along with our guide, Glenn. Glenn drove us around the lovely city of Halifax and shared a lot of history with us. We went to Peggy's Cove and that was a lovely area. The lighthouse was nice, we had a great lobster lunch, and got some great pictures. On the way back we stopped by the cemetary where over 100 people who drowned on the Titanic were buried.

Wednesday we were in Saint John. We didn't plan a tour but walked to Reversing Falls--about 2 1/2 miles each way. We were met in Saint John by greeters who gave us roses. Thatnks especially to Sappert1 and Acey for all of the information on this port. We were able to see seals walking back from Reversing Falls. There is a nice shopping area and we enjoyed our relaxing day.

Wednesday night was the Chef's Table and what an experience that was! We met the Maitre D in the lobby at 7 PM then went to the galley where we put on lab coats and washed our hands. We went to an area in the galley where we had appetizers and champagne. We met the Commodore, the Executive Chef as well as several officers of the ship. We went to the dining room for dinner and dessert and wine. The menu was similar to the one that has been posted previously on CC. There were 11 of us at the dinner. (You can tell I'm a foodie so that's where the emphasis of my review is!). I would certainly recommend this experience. This dinner is $75 per person and includes a signed cookbook.

Thursday we were in Bar Harbor. I had never been to this port and really didn't know what to expect. It is a lovely city that has shopping and restaraunts close to the port (this is a tender port). There is also a free bus (supported by LLBean) that took us to Acadia National Park where we hiked. This park is beautiful and we certainly would like to spend more time there.

Thursday night we did the ultimate balcony dinner. We were worried that it might rain or be too cool but it turned out to be excellent. Truthfully, this dinner is the peak of the cruise for me! We did it last summer in the caribbean and wanted to do it again. There is a $50 charge per person. Two waiters set up the balcony and were very unobtrusive. The crabcake appetizer was wonderful as was the salad. My sister and I both got twin lobster tails and DD got a filet and lobster. We were all stuffed when it was time for dessert but we managed to eat some of the chocolate mousse and fruit. Again, highly recommended.

Friday was Boston. I had been to Boston several times but DD and sis hadn't. We took a cab to Faneiul Hall and walked around there and the Quincy Market Place. We walked to Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church then walked back and had lunch at the Union Oyster House. The Union Oyster House is the oldest restaraunt in the country. Afterwards we walked to Mike's Pastry on Hanover and had one of their wonderful cannoli's! We took a cab back to the ship as we were sailing at 4 PM.

Newport was Saturday and that was the only day that was less than ideal. There was some rain and a lot of fog. We actually took a tender back and just sat on the balcony and watched all of the sailboats.

The itinerary was great. I think Bar Harbor was our favorite port although they were all nice and unique. We didn't see any color change but we weren't expecting that.

The CB is a fantastic ship. James Deering said that she will be nearly totally rebuilt in drydock. We saw people painting, polishing, and otherwise maintaining the ship.

We saw a whale as we were sailing out of Halifax and another one as we were sailing out of Bar Harbor. The sunsets were spectacular. The seas were very calm.

We had an aft suite and it will be hard to go back to a regular cabin! We enjoyed the extended room service, the laundry service, and the afternoon tea. We had the cabin with the dreaded beam and it was a little annoying but certainly did not interfere with our use of the balcony. We heard no noise and there was no issue with odors. We loved the sound of the wake.

It's always sad when it's time to get off the ship! Disembarkation went very smoothly but the cab line was a little confusing. There was a lot of traffic with passengers being picked up as well as being dropped off for the next sailing.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Hi beckcab! It was so nice to meet you - I only wish we had run into each other more often onboard!

I'm working on my review now and should have it up shortly. (You beat me to it). We also had a wonderful cruise and are sad to be back home getting ready for the start of school this week.

Welcome back! I had hoped to go on the CB this fall in October but I switched vacations around. Hopefully next year I will do a fall foliage trip.

Bar Harbor is my favorite port on that cruise also!

Glad you had a great time!

Wonderful review! Thank you! We are on the 9/7 sailing, so I am very excited to see the first review of this itinerary. I see you did no cruise-organized tours. That is one area that we are still obsessing over - just can't seem to make a decision.

Is there anything that you would have done differently? Anything you'd wished you'd brought that would have made the trip better?

Thanks again for taking the time and being so prompt in writing about your experience!

Thanks for the great review. One question, did the ship pretty much arrive and depart on time, per the itinerary? We are sailing on the CB in December and, although Princess says the itinerary has been adjusted for the slower speed of the ship , I was just wondering what your experience was. Thx.

Which of the aft suites were you in? We are sailing in an aft suite on Dolphin deck in November. Since you mention the beam, I thought I'd ask. Glad to hear you didn't have the vent problem.

Thanks for the great review! We are looking forward to our cruise on CB.:)

We live close to Newport and were there that day the CB was there and yes, the weather was yucky (it was very New England-ish). It was good to see the ship again, though. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

-Andrew:)

You're right about James Deering. I realized that after I posted my review.

I obsessed about excursions and CC was particularly helpful with suggestions. We did four of the ports on our own and found each port with ample to do.

We were in C750. Our room steward was Renante and he was great. Very helpful but never in the way. I forgot to mention that the temperature was great on the ship--perhaps it had to do with the cooler weather up north.

We were exactly on time in every port. We did leave Boston 20 or 30 minutes late but I think that was because one of the ship's excursions was late returning (we saw a bus pulling up and we left shortly thereafter).

I can't really think of a thing that I would change. I hadn't been to four of the ports and it gave me a taste of each of them.

It's so much fun planning a vacation--now we'll just have to book our next one!

Thank you for the review, I always wondered what a non-Caribbean cruise would be like and you sound to have had a great time. We were on CB the week before you (the last Caribbean cruise) and I happened to be in Boston on Friday August 29th when CB was there. It was so strange to see people on the aft pool and know I couldn't go to my favorite spot. Who were the entertainers on your cruise?

Thanks so much for the review.

What time did you leave the ship in Bar Harbor? Did the tendering take much time. We have a a trolley tour at 10 AM and are to pick the tickets up at 9:30. Do you have a suggestion as to what time we should get in line for the tendering?

In Boston were the cabs easy to get near the pier? Wondering if we should do the Princess Shuttle or a cab.

Did you have long waits the other nights with anytime dining?

The only time we had a wait for anytime dining was the first night. After that I called and made reservations and there was no wait. The reservations staff were very helpful--you can make reservations up to 48 hours in advance.

I think we were off the tender in Bar Harbor by 9 or 9:30. We were debating on a tour and could have easily made either a 10 or 10:30 tour.

In Boston there were long lines for cabs so we walked outside of the port area itself and found a cab. It was about $10 including tip to Faneiul Hall.

Thanks so much for the review.

What time did you leave the ship in Bar Harbor? Did the tendering take much time. We have a a trolley tour at 10 AM and are to pick the tickets up at 9:30. Do you have a suggestion as to what time we should get in line for the tendering?

In Boston were the cabs easy to get near the pier? Wondering if we should do the Princess Shuttle or a cab.

Did you have long waits the other nights with anytime dining?

We had the same situation in Bar Harbor. We went down to immigration at 7:30 and there was no line at all. Then, we were issued tender tickets for 8:15, so we grabbed a quick breakfast, walked onto the tender at the designated time and were onshore at about 8:45. Plenty of time! If you're going with Oli's Trolley, it's right where the tender drops you off. If you're going with the Natl Parks tour (which we did), you have to walk up the hill a block or two to pick up your tickets. (less than 5 minutes further).

Wow thanks for the helpful replies!

With tendering in Bar Harbor can you request a specific tendering time when you get in line. We were going to eat breakfast first and then get in line for tendering (our itinerary is in reverse so no immigration needed). But it sounds like maybe we should get a tendering ticket and then eat?

Glad everyone enjoyed a great cruise, sharing your experiences is appreciated!

Wow thanks for the helpful replies!

With tendering in Bar Harbor can you request a specific tendering time when you get in line. We were going to eat breakfast first and then get in line for tendering (our itinerary is in reverse so no immigration needed). But it sounds like maybe we should get a tendering ticket and then eat?

Glad everyone enjoyed a great cruise, sharing your experiences is appreciated!

I'm not sure how they will issue the tendering tickets when there is no immigration needed. We got them as we exited the immigration area, and we were able to request a time based on our land plans. I mentioned that I had a private tour that needed to be met at 9:30, and was issued tickets for 8:15 (however, I was ashore about 45 minutes earlier than I needed to be). I had just enough time to eat breakfst between immigration and the tender.

Thanks for the great review!! We are sailing on 10/12.

I have a couple of questions.

Newport - Is there much to see in the tender area? we haven't booked a shore excursion, so we were wondering what there is to see right in town.

Customs / express check out - do they offer the express checkout on this itinerary? I know we have to go through customs, so I didn't know if they offered it. If so, do you know if Air Tran was part of the program? We have 12 noon flight out of LaGuardia and we are trying to expediate things when we get off the ship

I did the chef's table on this ship in March and LOVED it! Cant wait to do it again! Thanks again for the great review

Archived