What to do in Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel

cpa62

My wife and I will be going on the Pearl 1/4/09. We did the same ports last year and did cave tubing with Major Tom. Since zip lining is out of my wife's comfort zone after reading about the recent death, and I'm not one for bus rides to ruins, what has anyone done at these ports that does not involve diving or scuba that was a GREAT time?

We were on this cruise October 12. We skipped Roatan because of the civil unrest. We were supposed to do a shrimp fest at the beach.

In Belize we did the Al Tun Ha ruins which wasn't a bad bus ride. Just remember in Belize to bring gallons of Off Bug spray.

In Cozumel we went to Xcaret. This is a beautiful park. We did an underground cave swim. It was very relaxing. You kind of just float down a river. Some people rent snorkeling equipment. But we just floated around. We actually wish we had more time there. If you take the Ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen take a dramamine before you go the water can get rough.

We were on this cruise October 12. We skipped Roatan because of the civil unrest. We were supposed to do a shrimp fest at the beach.

In Belize we did the Al Tun Ha ruins which wasn't a bad bus ride. Just remember in Belize to bring gallons of Off Bug spray.

In Cozumel we went to Xcaret. This is a beautiful park. We did an underground cave swim. It was very relaxing. You kind of just float down a river. Some people rent snorkeling equipment. But we just floated around. We actually wish we had more time there. If you take the Ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen take a dramamine before you go the water can get rough.

Thanks for the info. Did you book through the ship and if not with whom?

We'll be on the Pearl the week after you. :)

In Roatan, we're using Victor Bodden, and we're hoping to start the day with a dolphin encounter and round out the afternoon with a zipline. His service basically provides a guide and they take you wherever you want to go.

In Belize, I can't help you, since our previous stop there involved snorkelling and our upcoming stop involves scuba, and I know that's not what you're looking for.

In Cozumel, we've booked a day sail on a trimaran called the Tucan. They've had nothing but rave reviews, and after an amazing day sail in Acapulco on our last cruise, we made a point of finding one to share with our friends on our next one. We'll be there on my birthday, too, which makes it even better. The day includes the sailing, of course, plus a little fishing, spinnaker rides if the wind cooperates, a stop at a secluded beach, lunch, drinks, and swimming/snorkelling opportunities.

We tend to lean towards excursions and activities that involve the water since we're landlocked here at home. The advice I've given the friends who are travelling with us is to have a look at the excursions NCL offers in each port. You may choose not to book with them, but it will give you a good idea of what's available, and then you can do more research if something appeals to you. The destination boards can also be a great resource.

Cozumel - The first time we went to Cozumel we rented a car and drove around the island the back side is interesting and quiet. The park is a must Canakanaab or something like that. Nice snorkeling and amenities. Then of course end the day buying some Mexican pottery.

Belize - We went to Lamaini and enjoyed it. However it was a long way from the ship and we had no time for shopping or anything else. I would go to Altun Ha if we go again.

Roatan- In Roatan we visited an orphanage with donations we took with us. After this we went snorkeling. Just hire a cab for the day and they will take you whereever you want to go. It is a beautiful ilands and the snorkeling is awsome right off the beach.

I would love to go back to any or all the these location have fun.

In Cozumel, if you want to relax by a beautiful beach, have an open bar of top-shelf drinks, a crystal clear swim-up bar with hot tub and a tasty prepared lunch either in the restaurant or brought to your own lounge chairs and palapa, google Cozumel Beach Break at Nachi Cocom. You'll take a cab (not expensive) from the cruise ship, but the nice thing is the resort only accepts 100 people a day. It's $49 pp for adults and much less for kids. You can also pay extra for a snorkel trip, jet skis, para sailing, floats and massages.

We had a great day there in January. LOVED IT!

did you book through the ship or a private company?

I don't want to get in trouble for advertising the website.. yes it is private. If you google what I wrote above, you'll find the website. If you want me to email you the information, let me know.

Oops.. I thought you were asking me.

i agree about nachi cocom...one of the best days EVER! service is outstanding. for our cruise, cozumel was the last port. by the time we got there we were ready to be spoiled with a great day of excellent food, drinks, sun and sea. nachi is discussed, regularly, on the cozumel port-of-call.

we did lamanai and the river safari, in belize. we thought is was outstanding, our tour guide was our 2nd best tour guide we have ever had. she knew the area and was easy to talk to. it is a long day, we didn't care if we missed shopping or not. as i walked around lamanai, i caught myself daydreaming to a indiana jones adventure: monkey in the trees, ruins that were not all crumbling, jungle all around.

I second the idea of Lamanai, even if you say you don't like bus rides to ruins. It does take the whole day, but it's a relatively short bus ride to the river, and then a boat ride to the ruins site. The boat ride was a lot of fun. We saw alligators, howler monkeys, and a bunch of birds.

We are doing this itinerary on the Pearl at the end of the month.

Roatan: Fins and Flippers beach day - it gets great reviews

Bellize: Bannister Island (through NCL just so we don't have to tender)

Cozumel: private charter of the Tucan sailing adventure (it gets great reviews and is usually open for individual bookings)

We were at those three places in September. We did cave tubing in Belize, shopped and then stopped at Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel, and went to Fins and Flippers in Roatan.

I can't recommend Fins and Flippers highly enough. It was a 4 minute boat ride from the pier. The island was beautiful. Cindy, the manager, was fantastic! The pool was refreshing, and from what I was told, the snorkeling was killer. We spent about 4 hours just hanging out, sitting on the beach, or floating on my float in the water. At one point my BF said he felt like he was sitting in his own private Corona commercial. High praise indeed!

One of our all time favorite cruise destinations so far!

Silc

Thanks much Mush. You said "if" you take the ferry. Does that mean there is another way to get there? I checked shore excursions on NCL and did not see Xcaret listed. Who did you book with? Thanks again, Mike (cpa62)

Thanks much Mush. You said "if" you take the ferry. Does that mean there is another way to get there? I checked shore excursions on NCL and did not see Xcaret listed. Who did you book with? Thanks again, Mike (cpa62)

We booked Xcaret through NCL. We booked it once we got on the Pearl. You can only go there through the ferry. I meant if because not everyone leaves Cozumel. If you stay in Cozumel you don't have to take the ferry. They ferry brings you from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen when you take a 15- 20 minute bus ride to Xcaret.

Here it is Mike:

Cozumel Shore Excursions

#activityDetailImages img {display: block; width: 156px; float:left;} #activityDetailImages br {clear:both;}CZM_25_Xcaret-(2).jpg

Xcaret

Approximate Duration: 6 hours

Activity Details: shorexLegnd_2Moderate.gifshorexLegnd_FamilyFriendly.gif

Adult Pricing From: $69

Xcaret is a beautiful eco-archeological theme park that offers a naturally tropical exploration of the Caribbean jungle. Once you enter Xcaret, you're on your own to explore. There's a museum, a bird sanctuary, stables, botanical gardens, restored Mayan ruins, a replicated Mayan village, beautiful beaches and natural pools. Enjoy a snorkeling experience through the mysterious underground river and swim with the friendly dolphins. The dolphin tour carries an additional charge and operates on a first-come, first-served basis (reservations are not available). Note: Tour includes a 45-minute ferry ride to the mainland.

If you go to Xcaret dot com you can see pictures of this place. It was awesome.

No I'm not angry, I'm FURY-ous. I'm talking about the Catamaran Tour on the Fury in Cozumel. They take you out on this HUGE Cat, and serve you--encouraging double-fisting, mind you--as many margaritas and local beer as you care to drink. You go snorkeling--not scuba-ing, about 25 minutes away from the boat. They take your picture (which they, of course, want you to buy) as you get back on the boat. Then they cruise for another 15 minutes or so--more double-fisting is encouraged, until you get to a beach. You get off the boat at a beautiful white sand--no rock--beach where you can buy silver trinkets and a decent hamburger. After that, they take you back--one more round of double-fisting ensues until you get back to the boat. Doesn't that sound fun?

The other one in Cozumel we enjoyed was the Jeep Tour. They actually pair you off with other couples and let you drive your own Jeep to the other side of the island, where you snorkel a little, and they feed you a lot, right on the beach--and what a beach! Then you tour some Mayan Ruins and buy some Cuban Cigars and go back to the boat... Doesn't THAT sound fun?

Just got back Sunday.

Cozumel did Nachi Cocum and woudl recomend it. Good beach and nice pool. Food was very plentiful and plenty of drinks. Restrooms were just a bit rough but not really that bad.

Belize ended up on Bannister Island. Originally booked Captain Your Own Boat through Hammerhead Watersports/Coral Breeze Tours. Canceled due to high river levels. Bannister is OK at best but if you do it I strongly suggest the ship version sicne it tenders directly over.

Roatan is Fins and Flippers for sure. I will try and post pictures if i can figure it out. A GREAT value. Very close to the ship, it will take all of 5 minutes to get there. Beers were $2 and food was good as well. Really lush grounds with a great pool and beach. You can snorkel right off a dock.

DSCN0818.jpg.2bc91a4accb30c8a650a79315f61a2e5.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg.789b15c942d09886dde8ab165d5d74f9.jpg

DSCN0821.jpg.d5b735599cb579db3bc4cf0b9ea1be3f.jpg

No I'm not angry, I'm FURY-ous. I'm talking about the Catamaran Tour on the Fury in Cozumel. They take you out on this HUGE Cat, and serve you--encouraging double-fisting, mind you--as many margaritas and local beer as you care to drink. You go snorkeling--not scuba-ing, about 25 minutes away from the boat. They take your picture (which they, of course, want you to buy) as you get back on the boat. Then they cruise for another 15 minutes or so--more double-fisting is encouraged, until you get to a beach. You get off the boat at a beautiful white sand--no rock--beach where you can buy silver trinkets and a decent hamburger. After that, they take you back--one more round of double-fisting ensues until you get back to the boat. Doesn't that sound fun?

The other one in Cozumel we enjoyed was the Jeep Tour. They actually pair you off with other couples and let you drive your own Jeep to the other side of the island, where you snorkel a little, and they feed you a lot, right on the beach--and what a beach! Then you tour some Mayan Ruins and buy some Cuban Cigars and go back to the boat... Doesn't THAT sound fun?

LOL Pianoman ~ Even though those 2 excursions aren't my taste, I'm absolutely SOLD because you explain them so well!! If you're not in sales, you've missed your calling!

CPA 62, We are also cruising the same itinerary on Dec 7. We booked Victor Bodden for a tour of Roatan and he will do whatever you wish. He is inexpensive and there will be four of us at $25per person. . We want to tour the Island, shop, lunch etc. and maybe spend a few hrs. at the beach. Belize we are scheduled for a cave tubing excursion with Major Tom. Cozumel(at the moment haven't decided) probably will just spend the day on the some beach.. I hope this info helps... Go to the boards on CC click on Belize, Roatan etc. Tons of things to do!!:confused:

CPA 62, We are also cruising the same itinerary on Dec 7. We booked Victor Bodden for a tour of Roatan and he will do whatever you wish. He is inexpensive and there will be four of us at $25per person. . We want to tour the Island, shop, lunch etc. and maybe spend a few hrs. at the beach. Belize we are scheduled for a cave tubing excursion with Major Tom. Cozumel(at the moment haven't decided) probably will just spend the day on the some beach.. I hope this info helps... Go to the boards on CC click on Belize, Roatan etc. Tons of things to do!!:confused:

We're going on Dec 7 as well - but we must be on a different ship (?!) as Roatan was replaced with Costa Maya on the Spirit's itenerary. (Last year we DID go to Roatan and LOVED Victor Bodden tours - they were excellent!) My SIL is really bummed as the prettiest water we saw was in Roatan, at West End, I believe....

Terrific thread and lots of interesting excursions to choose from - cool. Since we just booked a January cruise on the Pearl, the suggestions will come in handy.

During our September Carnival cruise we did the following excursions - all booked through the ship since this was our first time to each of the ports and because we decided at the last minute what we wanted to do each day.

Cozumel - Tour of Tulum. Tons of information, beautiful place. Watch out for iguanas; like cats, curiosity can get the best of them, too...at least for the one coming to check me out while I sitting down for a couple of minutes :eek:.

Belize - Zoo tour. Tons of information, got to see animals native to the country - Scarlet Macaw, Jaguar, Tipars, Kinkajous, Stork, Crocodile, Howler Monkey, Eagle, and a lot more.

Loved visiting the zoo!

Tips: Bring and apply lots of insect repellant on exposed areas and on ankles and feet. Wear closed-toe shoes. Many people on the tour, my hubby included, wore sandals without socks and got bit by fireants. The people that had tennis shoes on didn't have a problem.

After we got back home, I ran across a book in the gift shop at the local zoo. The book, The Last Flight of the Scarlet Macaw One Woman's Fight to Save the World's Most Beautiful Bird by author Bruce Barcott. We had seen this woman's name at the Belize City Zoo, so I bought the book. The book may have been for sale in the gift shop there, but I overlooked it :confused:.

Roatan - Tabyana Beach. Loved this beach!!! I heard that it may be owned by Carnival cruiseline, but don't know for sure :confused::confused::confused:. Read that you had to be booked through the ship to get in, but a poster said they'd gotten in and hadn't booked through the ship...so ???????

Thinking maybe Fins and Flippers this go round if unable to do Tabyana again. The snorkeling is awesome at this beautiful island :cool:.

Archived