Just Called Carnival Re: My Letter for a "special gift"

kellyccz

Well, I know I have seen other posts about this, so I thought I would post. After my March 2003 cruise, I wrote a letter to Carnival about our wonderful servers in the dining room we had that week, and about our great poolside waiter we had all week (we always pick one and only use them throughout the cruise). I had a complaint about an issue with our room steward too. Carnival sent me a letter letting me know the compliments would be passed onto supervisors along with the complaint, and that they would take any necessary action to make sure the same things didn't happen again. The letter had a 10% off next cruise (within 18 months) and also said to call 45 days prior to next cruise, as they would like to "extend a special gift". Today is 45 days and I just called. I had heard previously others have been told the gift offer also expires within 18 months, but nothing was said to me about that. Anyway, they offered me a choice off a list that they have. My choices were:

1. Sparkling Wine and Champagne

2. White or Red Wine

3. Non-Alcoholic Wine

4. Fruit Basket

5. Snack Tray

6. Sun Wear

7. Chocolates

8. Photo Coupons (3-5x7's or 2-6x9's)

9. Soft drink coupons

10. Flowers

I asked about drink coupons just for kicks, but was shot down. So, I took the Sparkling Wine.

This isn't the same thing, but:

About a year ago, I sent BDickinson an email complimenting the particular PVP I always use. I rec'd a nice email back from him (someone in his office, I'm sure), saying it would be passed along to her supervisor, and that they would like to send something to my cabin on my next cruise. That was it.

Well, a coupla weeks ago, when talking w/my PVP about the upcoming cruise, I mentioned that email. (She had already thanked me for the recognition she rec'd in a meeting last year.) She said she didn't have any clue about the 'something to my cabin'.....but would I like a bottle of champagne or wine? Sure. So, I'm assuming I'll have a bottle of white wine in my cabin on Nov.1. We'll see. (I probably should have called Guest Services, but I didn't keep a copy of that email.):confused:

This is good to know. I too have one of those letters and will get my "special gift" when we sail the Liberty. This is the first thread I've seen where the gift could be chosen.

I would definitely like a bottle of champagne or wine rather than say photo coupons or flowers.

Yeah, that's why I chose the wine. I figured if they won't give me drink coupons, i might as well get some alcohol then. I figured the photo coupons were ok, but when you think about it, you can't buy those smaller size pictures until you first by the 8 x 10. And, if I buy an 8 x 10, I can scan it at home and make my own 5 x 7's or whatever, so that's really no big deal.

I had a letter from a cruise in 2001 that I had a problem with and used it on my cruise this past August. She asked me if I wanted a bottle of wine and I said I did not drink wine. In addition I told her that hte problem that I had was related to my childrens' room and they could not have wine. She had 12 soda coupons sent to my 3 children and 16 drink coupons sent to me and my husbands room. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought maybe they would sent 4 of each coupon. They have restored my faith in Carnival. In additon I had wonderful room stewarts and wait staff this time. Last time my room stewart was great but she was the same one my girls had and was rude and obnoxious to them. I had a suite and they had an outside room.

• 2 weeks later...

We received the bottle of champagne. I left it for the cabin steward. I had sent in an e-mail complaining only about the costs of the photos! Which, by the way, are still way too expensive. I have been on 11 Carnival cruises- loved them all!! :)

We too got 15% off on our next cruise (within 18 months) and the letter says to just present it to my travel agent at the time of booking. When I was checking on-line agencies, I asked if I could apply the 15% off to their lowest quote and was told no - they couldn't give an additional discount because of their "low, low rates."

I haven't talked with my usual agent yet as she is on a cruise, but I'm wondering if she'll say the same thing...Does this eat into their commission or something? Anyone else had a problem using one of these???

Thanks -

When I returned from my May 2003 "first" cruise, I wrote Mr. Dickinson as well, complimenting my PVP, entire experience and wonderful 50th birthday vacation. He did write me back, and thanked me for my e-mail and wished me a happy birthday. He did not offer me anything, nor do I expect anything. I wrote because I think when someone does a good job, their supervisor should know.

Once again, I booked through the same PVP and followed his advice on doing a guaranty, which was upgraded to a higher level. That's great! Don't need anything else but another wonderful experience! :-)

Karen

I have done this twice. the first time we got photo coupons. The second time was for our cruise this past Sept. They asked what we wanted (they never used to) so I said chocolates. We did not get anything and after 2 days we complained. Luckily we brought the letter along. The pursers desk made a copy and said she would contact headquarters and after they authorized it and said it was authentic they would get us chocolates or something else. Later that day a small box of chocolates was delivered to our room. They did not taste that great (maybe stale? or just plain not as good as others). Either way, BRING the LETTER on your cruise just in case!!

Archived