Inappropriate arcade games on cruises

chiguypaul

I was recently on a RCL cruise and was unhappy about two of the games in the arcade. They were both games that involved the gunning down and slaughter of people. The post has gained quite a bit of attention in the RCL board where I posted it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1051538

The message was posting there because it was specific to RCL, but it really applies to any of the cruise ships that promote themselves as "family" oriented.

Thought you might find it interesting to read.

Inappropriate video games is in the same shade of discussion as inappropriate formal / elegant night wear, or inappropriate swim wear ;):D:eek:

You really think that simulated killing of people is in the same league as inappropriate formal wear or swim wear? I don't get it...

You really think that simulated killing of people is in the same league as inappropriate formal wear or swim wear? I don't get it...

I don't think they're anywhere near the same level, but I do have a question. Is the arcade only for children/teens or are adults allowed in there too? If it is for children only, then I agree that any games like those should not be included at all. If not, then you are asking that everyone, adults and children alike, abide by your standards of what is appropriate for children.

The fact is that the cruise line doesn't say it's "family oriented." The cruise lines advertise themselves as family friendly, but not that families with children "own" the cruises or that everything will be geared toward what specific families believe is appropriate. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep showing how cruising is wonderful for weddings and honeymoons, anniversaries, romantic getaway, fun times for adult friends traveling together, etc. There are things for children, things for adults, and things for everyone. What's right for one family isn't necessarily the right thing for another.

I personally think that arcade games which involve simulated killings, mutilations, gang behavior, criminal activities, assaults on women (or others really), and so on are inappropriate, period. I do not care for those kind of games, find them offensive, believe they do contribute to increased violence and anti-social behavior in society, and wish they didn't exist at all, but I also know that I don't get to decide for everyone what should or should not be allowed on a cruise ship.

beachchick

My comment wasn't one about whether the games were appropriate it was more that the subject of discussion was the same slippery slope and shade of grey debate that clothing generates on this board.

Nothing will material change what happens on the ship or what people do.

I for one agree that shoot them up games are not the most productive or tastefully form of entertainment, but ever watch a bunch of boys play? I've seen plenty and many a boy has come over when my boys were young having not been exposed to video games, play guns, its funny what they will do with sticks and lego's or other improvised things.

If things are "family" oriented perhaps we can also discussed the numerous other unsuitable family things I see on family oriented cruises, everything from what people wear, act or what entertainment / jokes we get etc. etc. BTW I'm not dishing these, I'm saying the discussion is a bit of a waste of energy.

Lets not start about what might be inappropriate or etc. I could argue that the all you can eat leads to what is the largest and biggest impending financial time bomb problem that will be soon facing the western culture ;):D:eek:

I for one agree that shoot them up games are not the most productive or tastefully form of entertainment, but ever watch a bunch of boys play? I've seen plenty and many a boy has come over when my boys were young having not been exposed to video games, play guns, its funny what they will do with sticks and lego's or other improvised things.

The book "Raising Cain" (which was made into an interesting PBS documentary/study) points out that playing like this is very different than the violent video games the OP talks about. I'll spare you all from me getting on a soap box, and let people know that this and the book "Video Games and Your Kids" are great resources for learning about the negative impact these things can have.

This poster already got a ton of responses on his (her) first thread, most of them saying essentially this: If you don't want your kids playing those games, then be ready to teach them not to, and supervise them if/when they go into the arcade. My opinion: Censorship -- and this is censorship-- isn't acceptable. Next thing you'll want to advocate is banning the bars, making them only serve soft drinks and/or coffee, because kids have to go to the bars to get a soda and you don't want them near liquor. Checking out the library to make sure there are only kid-friendly books in there in case your child finds her way into the library and might pick up something you consider inappropriate. And so on. Isn't going to work.

This poster already got a ton of responses on his (her) first thread, most of them saying essentially this: If you don't want your kids playing those games, then be ready to teach them not to, and supervise them if/when they go into the arcade. My opinion: Censorship -- and this is censorship-- isn't acceptable. Next thing you'll want to advocate is banning the bars, making them only serve soft drinks and/or coffee, because kids have to go to the bars to get a soda and you don't want them near liquor. Checking out the library to make sure there are only kid-friendly books in there in case your child finds her way into the library and might pick up something you consider inappropriate. And so on. Isn't going to work.

Well said. Not sure why the OP brought this discussion over here, as they already have the same thread going on another board and don't see any useful purpose for having it here.

I agree with the cruiseline. Don't like the games, don't walk your kids by them. I have several children myself, we didn't let them play what we felt were inappropriate games and explained why. I hardly think your children will be scarred for life because they walked by them.

IMO, a total non-issue. There are much bigger things as a parent that I would be/am worried about than this. Take a deep breath and let this one go.

Call me crazy but

How about you worry about supervising your children and making sure that they're only playing games that you approve of instead of trying to censor everyone else because you find something inappropriate.

Are you also outraged at the books in the young adult section in the library?

Archived