Photo orientation on television

Travelight

Does anyone know why vertical photographs displayed on my television through the SD card on the Blue-ray disc player are oriented horizontally?:confused:

I've read the manuals and cannot find any information on this. I've also looked all through the set up menus for the Blue-ray player and the LCD tv. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any info! :)

Does anyone know why vertical photographs displayed on my television through the SD card on the Blue-ray disc player are oriented horizontally?:confused:

I've read the manuals and cannot find any information on this. I've also looked all through the set up menus for the Blue-ray player and the LCD tv. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any info! :)

Most photo viewer software packages can read the orientation of the image that is written into the JPEG by the sensor in the camera. In the case of an older camera (pre-2005-ish) that doesn't have the orientation sensor or a viewer that can't read the EXIF, you may have to manually rotate the images with a utility on the PC first (IrfanView has a great lossless JPEG rotation feature that can do batches). Another option is to use Picasa or one of the dedicated DVD or CD slideshow creation packages to put together a quick show with transitions. That is my favorite way to display images. So much a favorite that I seldom print anything smaller than 8x10 anymore and very few of those.

Dave

Quote: "Another option is to use Picasa or one of the dedicated DVD or CD slideshow creation packages to put together a quick show with transitions."

Thank you, Dave!

I have a Canon Rebel, and I thought I had it set to rotate the image. I must be doing something wrong :(.

Actually, though, I really like your idea of doing a DVD. Do you make and order it on Picasa? Can you add music to it, also?

I also like to print my favorites in 8 x 10 - so much easier to see!!! But I use so much printer ink. Sometimes I print one that isn't as sharp as it should be - what a waste! Seeing the image larger - as on the tv - would help me decide whether I should print it or not.

Thank you again for your valuable advice!

Linda :)

Quote: "Another option is to use Picasa or one of the dedicated DVD or CD slideshow creation packages to put together a quick show with transitions."

Thank you, Dave!

I have a Canon Rebel, and I thought I had it set to rotate the image. I must be doing something wrong :(.

Actually, though, I really like your idea of doing a DVD. Do you make and order it on Picasa? Can you add music to it, also?

I also like to print my favorites in 8 x 10 - so much easier to see!!! But I use so much printer ink. Sometimes I print one that isn't as sharp as it should be - what a waste! Seeing the image larger - as on the tv - would help me decide whether I should print it or not.

Thank you again for your valuable advice!

Linda :)

You may well have set it to rotate the image, but that usually refers to rotating it on the LCD display when reviewing in-camera. (Not knowing which Rebel, I'm not 100% sure on that.) It's more likely that the player is expecting you to play only horizontal images to maximize the hi-def display. Another case of keeping the photographers out of the design meetings! :p

Actually, Picasa will burn a cd or dvd right on your computer. Since most computers and laptops come with a burner, I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed that yours did. If not, you can get a plug-in external one for about $50 which, for the cost of a couple dozen prints, will provide you with endless photo to big-screen fun!:D

Picasa has a nice, easy-to-use utility that does a good job. It allows you to add music and even output a full HD video of the slide show. For really nice DVDs with custom menus and music editing, you might want to look at products like Corel DVD Movie Factory. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1173965700889#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab1

As for printing, if you end up using Picasa as an organizer (its primary function), you can easily zoom in to check focus and other small details before printing. It also features a printing utility that lets you print multiple images at a time with two 5x7, one 8x10, four 3½x5 or nine wallet-size images on a page. You can print multiples of the same photo or multiple photos. Quite handy, really.

If you're not using Picasa, you may want to download it (free!) and check it out. I have a link and instructions in the C.C.P.I.C.S. Class 1 article here: http://pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/class1.htm

Dave

Thank you for the link to download Picasa. I'm soooo glad that it's free!

It sounds like a program that I'll use a lot.

This weekend I'm going down to Austin, Texas to take some engagement photographs of my daughter and her fiance'. Do you have any suggestions for some really awesome photo ideas?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Dave, I hope you all are safe from all the wildfires! Take care!

Thank you for the link to download Picasa. I'm soooo glad that it's free!

It sounds like a program that I'll use a lot.

This weekend I'm going down to Austin, Texas to take some engagement photographs of my daughter and her fiance'. Do you have any suggestions for some really awesome photo ideas?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Dave, I hope you all are safe from all the wildfires! Take care!

Get the traditional poses but after you've got that covered, have fun. I did some graduation pics for a friend's nephew and we chose a park. After all the dignifies poses in the suit and gown, we got out the baseball stuff (he's an avid player) and just had fun. They ended up using one of the ones with him in the gown holding a bat across his shoulders.

Heads together over coffee at a café.

Head on shoulder on a park bench.

Hugging while standing in a fountain with pants rolled up.

Just let your mind roam.

Thanks for the concern. We're about 15 miles from the closest one and in no immediate danger. Out thoughts go out to those on the front lines, both residents and the firefighters.

Dave

That was some lucky graduate to have you take his pictures!

I like those ideas. (Mugs of steaming coffee - heads together - holding hands) Hopefully, we'll have nice weather to get outside and explore areas. I was thinking of a silhouette type picture, too. I'm not too sure how to do it. I hope I can pull it off. :rolleyes: It'll be fun trying anyway.

Thanks, Dave. I'll send you a link to see them, if they turn out ok :o

Archived