Our Excellent European Adventure - A Gem Review With Pix!!

mapsmom

At 4:30 the last game for the bingo cartel – DC1 won the cruise for two!!! She plans to donate it to a hospice care auction she chairs each year.

ry%3D400

It was DM’s birthday, so her cabin got decorated, and another cake was ordered for dinner. We all reminisced about our great adventure, and how it all came together so nicely, with everyone from around the country able to make it.

Bright and early the next day, we left our cabin for the last time, self disembarking around 7:15. No trouble finding a cab – 30 minutes to the airport. There was a very short line for our 10:30 flight, which went to Paris. Then a four hour layover before the flight home to JFK. I didn’t want to take the chance on an hour and a half stopover just in case the flight was delayed. The flight from Paris to New York was on a 747 – they still fly those things?! It was old, old, old, and to make matters worse there were several screaming babies, whose parents didn’t bother to walk them up and down the aisles. They just let them cry. My mantra was, “it’s only eight hours, then you are off the plane. You can survive this!” Our flight arrived pretty much on time, but it took forever for the bags to come. We ended up getting home at around 10:30.

DD1 had college classes beginning the next day, so she slept until 3:30 and then a friend drove with her to Penn State. DH and I woke up a 4:30, and drive with DD2 upstate to her college to move her into her apartment there. Anyone recognize the town? Hint: There is a fountain with a bear on it build by the two founding brothers.

ry%3D400

I kept thinking, what a juxtaposition. I was swimming in the Med 48 hours ago, and now I am in upstate New York cleaning out kitchen cabinets and unloading clothes. Back to reality!

All in all, it was the trip of a lifetime. The itinerary gave a taste of everything, so that you know what you want to come back to and explore a little more. Can’t wait for my next adventure…

Wow, thanks for the great review...sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I'm even more excited about our cruise now! Glad to hear you enjoyed all the ports especially the time spent with Romeinlimo. We're using them too for all the Italy ports.

When I see tourists sightseeing in August I always feel great admiration seeing them sweltering in the heat. It can be draining.

Believe me, it can be veeeeeeeery hot . You were here in the very hottest week of the summer and this August was the hottest for a number of years.

Did you go to Upper Barakka Gardens - it is relatively cooler there and has a lovely view over the Grand Harbour and your ship ? It's a welcome break having a cold drink there.

MAPSMOM...

i want to tell you that i apologize for not reading your entire review, but i have a good excuse. you know that saying "a picture says a thousand words"...

well i think you are well over a million in words!!! i can't get over the photos! just brilliant! eventually i'll read the review...but those are some fantastic pictures. personally i like the limoncello pic...all those bottles...mmmmmmmm.

Sorry my first few forays into uploading pictures didn't come out well - I am going to try to upload them again later today, so you can see Barcelona.

To hat776 - Yes, it was very hot - and in my heat stroke state, I forgot about Barakka Gardens - next time!:p

To Zone HPH - WE ARE...PENN STATE!!! I have two students there. Are you an alum?;)

To MJ1010 - Loved RIL - just remember that if you deviate from the "standard" tour, to make sure that Jany acknowledges and knows it, otherwise you will end up locked into the standard timeframe and itinerary.:)

Sorry my first few forays into uploading pictures didn't come out well - I am going to try to upload them again later today, so you can see Barcelona.

To hat776 - Yes, it was very hot - and in my heat stroke state, I forgot about Barakka Gardens - next time!:p

To Zone HPH - WE ARE...PENN STATE!!! I have two students there. Are you an alum?;)

To MJ1010 - Loved RIL - just remember that if you deviate from the "standard" tour, to make sure that Jany acknowledges and knows it, otherwise you will end up locked into the standard timeframe and itinerary.:)

i will NEVER read your review once you get the Barcelona pics! you are killing me!

yes...Biology 1994. i'm also have my own little network for tickets. send me a hello at nittanylions94@vtext.com and yes...i'll be going up to the opening game this wknd with my DW.

EDIT: already started cooking for our tailgate!

So, where do you stay when you go? We usually end up at Days Inn since parking in town is a problem. We only go to parents' weekend - never got tickets for a game....DD1, who is a junior there, will be going to all of the games this year. I vow that we will go, at least once,before she graduates.

Sorry about the pix, but Barcelona is so amazing you have to see it!!

So, where do you stay when you go? We usually end up at Days Inn since parking in town is a problem. We only go to parents' weekend - never got tickets for a game....DD1, who is a junior there, will be going to all of the games this year. I vow that we will go, at least once,before she graduates.

Sorry about the pix, but Barcelona is so amazing you have to see it!!

we stay close to Williamsport (1hr away). can't justify the outrageous prices during football season. (2night mandatory stay...paid in full for the whole season...YEAH RIGHT).

i have my own little network of football tickets (close friends who are also season ticket holders). but the big games are hard to come by...even for us.

can email you more details on that. i work in union sq. and i can also be found on www.psunj.org. under events chairperson.

Thanks - I KNOW that DH would be especially interested. We can always stay in DD's place off campus!

How did you see so quickly that I posted? Is there a special place to look?

just hit refresh. it's just hit or miss. the green light is on by your name...so i know you are logged on. and quite frankly, once PSU people find one another...an instant bond develops.

too bad you aren't driving up this wknd. i'm cooking for 35 people.

Wow, thanks..I wasn't aware of that. I thought we could just let our driver know the morning of our tour. I have 8 passenger vans booked but we are 3 separate groups so I figured we could just decide each morning. Guess I have a little more work ahead of me.

One more question....did you purchase all your tickets in advance? We have a private guide in Pompeii and the Vatican but I haven't purchased any tickets (not sure what time we'll be in each spot). When I e-mailed Jany she told me that our drivers would assist us with tickets and most likely wouldn't have to wait in lines. In Florence we don't have a guide, just our driver but I know we're going to want to see the David and I don't want to miss out on something because I didn't purchase our tickets in advance.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Zone HPH - Wow! Sorry I won't be there!

greenwave - If you are talking about the ship itinierary, Western med, Barcelona, Malta, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa, and Cannes. If you are talking about RIL - I was referring to their tours as posted on their website.

mj1010 - RIL makes reservations for Accademia (David), Uffizi, and Vatican. When you book with them no worries, but make sure you specify a time, if you don't want their standard, i.e., 1:30 Vatican, 2:30 Uffizi, 9:30 Colosseum, 11:00 David. If you make your own ressies for Florence - do it quite a lot in advance, especially if traveling in summer.

Pictures are coming when I get home fromwork tonight!!

Here are the Barcelona pictures that I prviously tried unsuccessfully to publish:

ry%3D400

That's us at Can Manel la Puda eating paella...fun place

ry%3D400

All 19 of us!

ry%3D400

Sagrada Familia - the nativity facade.

ry%3D400

On top of Montjuc

ry%3D400

Parc Guell and the ergonomic bench - the tiles that sitck out actually support your back!

ry%3D400

DN, DB, and DS in infinity pool at Grand Hotel Central.

Yes, the outlet is grounded.

This is what you get when you order one beer on Las Ramblas:

ry%3D400

...and a glass of Sangria

ry%3D400

and a small tapas platter

ry%3D400

This is a view from the elevator at Sagrada Familia:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ontheotherhand - you are right, the bear is holding a lantern. Did you go there?

To school there? No, but I recall it from one of my driving trips in western NY years ago (when gas was cheap and plentiful :D); I don't even recall the name of the town, but it was somewhere in the Genessee Valley as I recall (we might have even gone to that area seeking a Genessee Cream Ale brewery (it was long time ago) and I don't even recall if I found one (so maybe I did)).

I do remember the bear fountain though, and probably even have a picture of it somewhere. As I recall, it was kind of a tourist attraction, and you could even buy the usual touristy stuff with the bear (like a plastic statue of the bear holding the light, or the bear and light in a snow globe). I haven't thought of it for years, but somehow it stuck with me.

Beautiful downtown Geneseo - yup, that's where DD2 goes. I just love that town. It is so cute. Too bad the winters last for eight months! DD loves it there. She lives in an apartment above the stores on Main Street, where the fountain is. She also has a sterling silver bear lantern charm necklace. The Wadsworth brothers, each of whom had a home on opposite ends of Main Street, built that fountain (originally designed as a horse watering trough) in honor of their mother. No one seems to know the significance of the bear. I am not sure about Genesee beer - where that comes from.

Hi mapsmom--

Just checking in on your review, and see that it is FABULOUS!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your adventures on the Gem. We LOVED our Med cruise on her last year, and reading your review reminds me of all the great things we did as well. Isn't the cruise too short though? You're in, you're out, and before you know it, you're back in the USA doing laundry and the whole thing seems like a dream.

CeleBrat

Archived