Sunset House or Eden Rock Dive Center for Snorkeling

princesk8

what's your definition of better?

search Sunset House and you'll find many posts and reviews here and over in the SCUBA and SNORKEL threads

or check their web site

Sunset is the same basic area, just about 1/2 mile south. Depending on your skill level you might appreciate their sea pool for ease of entry/exit

and there's My Bar for libation w/out crowd

We snorkeled at both places on our last trip to Grand Cayman (about a year ago). We thought the snorkeling was much better at Eden Rock....entry into the water was equally easy in both places....ladders into the water. We saw more varieties of fish and other sea creatures at Eden Rock, plus it is closer to the tender terminal. But Sunset House was nice too and the people were very friendly there too. We had snacks and drinks at Sunset House and it was not crowded at all. Both are within easy walking distance.

• 2 months later...

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for your interest in Sunset House.

People who are not staying at Sunset House are still welcome to snorkel from our property,

Snorkel vests are rented out at $5 u.s each for the day.

The pool is for Sunset House guests only as are the dive equipment lockers. If we have one available that is not being used by one of our guests you will be able to use one.

Our house reef starts at about 12 feet from the shore and gradually gets deeper. The coral sits at about 30 feet and the mermaid statue is at 52 feet. There is no low water.

Just wanted to say thanks for the information and help from this thread. We did walk down to Sunset House to snorkel. We had a great time. It was my husbands first real snorkel...we snorkeled at the fort in Key West a couple days before. There were four of us and it was just us out there snorkeling. A couple of divers were getting ready to get in down at the sea pool while we were getting ready. Really nice guys. We had a good conversation with them. After we were done we enjoyed spending some time at My Bar. We all made the comment that this was what paradise was all about!

We will do this again next time in Grand Cayman.

I was still toying with what to do in Grand Cayman. After sharing the info I got from Sunset House on this thread, I received RoyalTMom's post about the good time she had there.

My mind is made up....Sunset House here we come!

I was a bit disappointed to learn that we couldn't use the pool there unless we were guests, but time permitting we may take a cab to Cabbage Beach to relax a bit after snorkeling at Sunset.

We went to Sunset House this past Feb. and I thought the Snorkeling was not very good at all. Dead looking coral and few fish. I know at times the weather/clouds affects the view but we saw very few fish. I have snorkelled in Grand Cayman before with Cap'n Marvin and saw tons of fish and colorful coral. I have snorkeled in Key Largo, Peurto Rico, Belize, Cozumel, St. Thomas, Barbados, and, Antigua and every place was better than Sunset House. The people were very nice and the spot is lovely. I think this time we will go to Cemetery Beach and try our luck there unless we do an excursion. Just my opinion though. Good luck.

Archived