Which is better itinerary?Boston,Halifax,Quebec,Charlottetown,Sydn ey or St. John....

My husband and I have been reading and trying to decide which NCL cruise to take and would love to hear from others. We have never done a New England/Canada cruise.

The first is a 7 day on the Dawn leaving from NY to: Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor, Boston, and Newport with one sea day.

The other is a 10 day on the Jewel leaving from NY to: Boston; Halifax; Quebec City; Charlottetown; Sydney with 4 sea days.

Boston and Halifax are the only two ports that they both have in common.

Also, the 2nd option is Oct 20th - 30th. How cold can it get in the part of the country at the end of Oct? Can we still see the fall foliage or is it too late?

Thank you.

10 days is almost always better LOL. I like sea days, and I like the ports offered on that one better and I think the ship is newer. It's a personal preference, but financial and time constraints aside, I'd be on the 10 day itinerary. It will no doubt be pants and jacket weather at that time, but I have no idea on how the foliage would be since I have never paid attention even around our area when the leaves change or how long they last.

The leaves tend to peak in our area (Saint John, Halifax, Charlottetown, Sydney) around the 10th of October. After that how long they last depends on how soon we get a big storm. They won't be at their best during the last week of October. I can't say for sure but I would suspect that the leaves peak earlier in the Gaspe area of Quebec as that is farther north and it is the cold that makes the leaves turn.

There will most likely be frost in the mornings during the last week of October but if the days are sunny it should warm up to the high 50's or, if we get an Indian Summer as we sometimes do, it could get into the high 60's. In any event it will be cold at sea---it is very cool at sea even in the summer.

I agree with all of the above. 10 days is better than 7 and also has a better itinerary IMHO but the leaves won't be at their peak (maybe all fallen) and the temperature will be cold (wear a warm jacket and bring mits, scarf and even a winter hat to make sure you can enjoy the outside for a good period of time).

Archived