Lurkers?

If I am reading this correctly, they just can't use their business name as their cruise critic user name. It doesn't sound like it prevents them from listing their business name, just not the location etc.

It also sounds A LOT friendlier than LauraS' email to you, saying that TAs are annoying!

Hello Ultidisc, that is what CC is all about, helping everyone who has a question, :). The fun thing about the M&M & I will admit, my DH & I did our very 1st one this past Oct, was to get acquainted with our fellow CC Members. It doesn't mean one has to take part in all the activies planned. As a matter of fact, except for the M&M and activites we chose to do, we saw only but a few of our Roll Call friends. We were busy meeting others onboard. Each and everyone of us, have times we enjoy doing our own thing so to speak. What is helpful many times, by joining the Roll Call for your Cruise, you and another couple or two can plan out things for yourselves on the Ports you will visit. I personally felt bad for the young lady who came to our M&M, & not noticing her sooner, as she appeared to be alone, and would have liked for her to have joined in.

Gay

Travel agents absolutely CAN and are ENCOURAGED to identify themselves as such. They simply aren't allowed to name their agency or post any information linking to it.

actually they can post their agency as there are a few who do just that...(at least one..there were 2 that i know of, but one i think deleted it after much controversy)...i was told that they can by CC admin....i think they can't use both names or their city...but they can put their company in their siggie :confused:

frankly i don't see the difference...they can't technically advertise, but they can put "anytown travel" in their siggie, which, IMHO is advertising.....

oh well, back to the game.

I will also come out as a "lurker". I work for a large cruise line. Yes we do monitor cc, to see how we are doing, what's on our guests minds, what works and what doesn't. It also helps me do my job when I get calls about a location I am not familar with, I can refer to cc and the numerous people who have experienced the world farther than I have been able to. I also refer new cruisers to cc for the exact same reason. For the wealth of infomation available from experienced cruisers. I have been reading cc for several years now and this is the first time I have posted due to fear of the ridicule I have heard about and seen in other posts.

I'm a lurker. :eek: :o Posted a question, but didn't really get into the Meet n' Mingle thing. For me, it's not so much shyness as it is feeling like I won't really contribute anything. This will be my wife and I's first cruise (YAY!), and when I went to the roll call, there were over a thousand posts. So I kind of felt like "Well, I could post, but about 3 people would read it before it got lost among the other 1200 posts." I hope that doesn't sound bad; lurking has been wonderful, we've learned an immense amount, and have come to learn that cruisers are their own unique brand of human (that is COMPLETELY intended as a compliment! ;) ).

All that to say, we lurkers don't mean it as bad at all, it's more just kind of waiting until we feel like we're "in the groove" of the community. But for any potential passengers of the 9/17 Explorer Canada/NE cruise, we look forward to seeing/meeting you all!

- Corey from AL

Hi Corey,

I know exactly what you mean. And I'm shy so as much as I'm excited about meeting a bunch of people who are cruising wih me I'm always nervous about it to. But sometimes when the role call is very active the people on it will be super friendly. A few years ago I joined a role call that had been very active for 10 months. Everyone welcomed me and asked me about myself. We exchanged pictures and made all kinds of plans for when we were cruising. Sadly I had to cancel the cruise but over 2 years later several of us still post regularly. I really hope to cruise with some of them at some point.

Enjoy you cruise. I would love to do that cruise at some point to. Maritimers are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. And Canada's East Coast is one of the prettiest spots. We loved New England too:):):)

Meaghan

I can tell you for sure that RCI monitors these boards. When we were finalists in the Name That Ship contest, I posted about the call a little early ( I was sooo excited!) and someone from Royal called me at home and told me to stop posting :o...so they are reading these boards for sure! ;)

Hi alpha, where in Rhode Island are you, we met a couple from Cumberland on our last Cruise and our family were all born in RI, as were my sister & I. We left for calif when we were little but have made several trip back in the past few years. Beautiful State as is all of NE.

Hi there :) I am up in northern RI...Cumberland is right next door. :)

I love it here...born and raised....sometimes I consider leaving (especially in February when it's 20 below with a wind chill factor) LOL, but I would miss all that makes this area so wonderful I'm sure.

I would think that the lines do "lurk" on these boards but remember that cc members are only a tiny percentage of all the cruiser out there. Hard to believe but true LOL.

~Connie

Agreed. I was cruising for over 10 years before DW found CC and got us started.:eek:

Here I am with that same bad habit of "Inquiring minds want to know" stuff. Here is the answer from LauraS the Community Board Manager:

"At times travel agents that say they are travel agents are a bit annoying, it isn't outside of our community guidelines to do so. We do allow ALL travel agents to identify themselves by including their company name (only) in their posts."

I really appreciated her getting back to me so quickly, she is the BEST!

Though it isn't against the guidelines, ENCOURAGED is not what I would call it....more like "barely tolerated" In my time on this board it has been my experience that it is a few TA's who spread the most misinformation on here with their built in bias for partiular cruise lines..... I tend to question their every statement....

Archived