Barcelona Itinerary Feedback

tjljsc

The audioguide for Poble Espanol is 60 minutes of audio + whatever time you spend loitering, but you could see the "village" in 90 minutes or less. I'm not sure what else you are interested in? Montjuic Park is in that area if you want to walk around or go to a viewpoint, maybe head to the Montjuic castle, take the cable car...I didn't see much of interest near Placa Espanya - the magic fountains are there (best for an evening show) and the art museum, but otherwise not much other "touristy" stuff right in the plaza.

How much time you need will depend on what exactly you are looking to do.

(All this Barcelona talk makes me want to return soon! :rolleyes: What a great city!!!)

Great info, thanks. Since you seem to know a lot about the city, I would like to know if it's possible to do some day trips to surrounding towns. We'll be in Barcelona for 4 days, 2 days before, and 2 days after our cruise. Would love any recommendation I can get. Thanks.

Debbie

Great info, thanks. Since you seem to know a lot about the city, I would like to know if it's possible to do some day trips to surrounding towns. We'll be in Barcelona for 4 days, 2 days before, and 2 days after our cruise. Would love any recommendation I can get. Thanks.

Debbie

My standard recommendation is usually for 3 days in Barcelona - but congrats on having a 4th day! I'm jealous ;) Day 1 is the best choice for your arrival into Barcelona, but the other 3 days can be done in any order.

Day 1: Intro to Barcelona

This day gives you a good overview of the city after a long flight and allows you to adjust to the time difference. It can be a short day if you just quickly walk through each part or you can spend hours getting to know the intricacies of the city...depending on how much energy you have!

-Drop off your luggage at the hotel and DO NOT NAP - GO DIRECTLY TO THE CITY :D:D

-Head to La Boqueria to explore and eat lunch. Maybe buy some fruits or other snacks for later in the afternoon. (About 1 hour needed)

-Continue down Las Ramblas, watching the street performers, shopping a little, etc. I do not suggest stopping for sangria since it will only make you tired. If you want to stop and people-watch, grab a fresh-squeezed juice on the street. (About 1 hour needed)

-Wander the Barri Gotic with quick stops in the cathedral and Santa Maria del Mar church (30 minutes each is probably sufficient unless you have a huge interest in old churches). Print a self-guided walking tour from online or sign up for a guided walking tour. (About 2 hours needed)

-Within the Barri Gotic - if you have time and energy - you can stop in the Palau de la Musica, City History Museum, or Picasso Museum. All are worthwhile, depending on your interests. See one, two, or all three depending on how much time you have. Chances are you might have time to return on a later day. (About 1 hour for each stop)

-Return to Las Ramblas for a touristy, but yummy, dinner/tapas. Las Ramblas is entirely different after dark and is worth a second look. (About 2 hours needed, including dinner)

Day 2: The Gaudi Loop

Gaudi's architecture is crazy, and enjoyable even if you don't normally find architecture fascinating.

-Start with the Sagrada Familia, before it gets too busy later in the day. If you can get up early enough, get there when it opens at 9am. (About 2 hours needed to see it thoroughly but 1 hour is ample)

-From there, continue on to Casa Battlo and nearby Casa Mila/La Pedrera (order doesn't matter) and eat lunch somewhere along the way. (About 5 hours needed, again less is okay if that's how it works out)

-Head up to Parc Guell for walking, touring, photo ops, and a stop in the Gaudi Museum (2 hours needed but you could spend all day if you like to walk around)

-Now you can nap if you need to (and have time)!! If not, it's a great time to sit outside somewhere in the city sipping wine/beer/sangria and people-watching. Or check the other options I have listed below.

-Have tapas, and then see a Flamenco Show.

Day 3 - Montserrat

Absolutely not to be missed if you have the time!!

-Check out post #8 on this thread for an overview: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1021206

-End the day with a show of the Magic Fountains

Day 4: Options!!

There is tons to do in the city itself on a 4th day, or you can go outside the city on a daytrip. Mixing & matching between options is perfectly fine!

Option 1 - Check out more museums. There is a Contemporary Art Museum, Maritime Museum, Aquarium, Poble Espanyol on Montjuic, a zoo, a Catalan History Museum, Natural History Museum...and if that's not enough...check out the Olympic Village area as well...I've probably forgotten several as well.

Option 2 - Get some insider insight by taking a guided tour. I've read great reviews on Fat Tire Bike tours.

Option 3 - Shop! Yes, there are stores everywhere...

Option 4 - Head up to Montjuic by cable car, see the castle, get great views of the city, etc.

Option 5 - Head to Barceloneta to walk (or sunbathe) on the beach. You could also day trip to nearby Sitges for more beaches.

Option 6 - Day trip to Figueres, especially if you like Dali. There's a huge Dali museum, along with a toy museum and a regional museum. Or just go for the smaller-town atmosphere and a chance of scenery :)

Option 7 - Day trip to Girona for the old architecture, winding streets (NOT easy on the knees!!), and ancient walls.

Archived