Barcelona Itinerary Feedback

tjljsc

So, we're in Barcelona for a day in October (7am-7pm). I definitely want to see La Sagrada Familia, La Boqueria and Las Ramblas. I have no clue how much time I should plan to dedicate to each and whether or not I should try to fit in more sites (and, if so, which ones).

Thoughts?

Also... what's the process of port to city center here?

Thanks!

So, we're in Barcelona for a day in October (7am-7pm). I definitely want to see La Sagrada Familia, La Boqueria and Las Ramblas. I have no clue how much time I should plan to dedicate to each and whether or not I should try to fit in more sites (and, if so, which ones).

You will definitely have enough time for all of that (and more).

My advice is to get up early and make the most of your day. When you dock at 7am, you will have the option to take a shuttle to the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas. From there, I would walk up Las Ramblas exploring the stands and shops all the way up to La Boqueria. Plan on skipping breakfast onboard and instead "eat" your way through the market, trying the fruits, breads, cheeses, meats, and pastries. It makes La Boqueria much more enjoyable. The walk to La Boqueria should take no more than 15 minutes but could take all day if you want to look at every stand. Regardless, see as much as you can see by 8:45am.

From Liceu station, hop on the metro to Sagrada Familia, which opens at 9am. I recommend getting there as close to 9am as you can to avoid lines. A thorough visit - including time to listen to the audioguide and a trip up the bell tower - should take about 2 hours. You can certainly spend less time if you wish.

So now you're at about 11am on your day and you've already seen everything you listed. There are TONS of other things to see so you will need to decide what you are interested in. Look into either Gaudi house (La Pedrera/Casa Mila or Casa Battlo), the Picasso Museum, the City History Museum, Palau Musica (for a tour and/or performance), Barri Gotic (Gothic Neighborhood, including the cathedral and/or the beautiful Santa Maria del Mar church), Parc Guell, Montjuic, Barceloneta (for beaches), Poble Espanol, a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus if you just want a city overview...as you can see the list is long! A good guidebook will help you determine what fits your interests best so you can have an enjoyable day. There is something for everyone in Barcelona.

Regardless, stop your plans at 5pm to head to Placa Catalunya to walk down Las Ramblas all the way back to the Columbus statue where you will re-join the shuttle to the ship. Spend the final hour of your day before reboarding the ship by watching the street entertainers, maybe doing more shopping, maybe enjoying a glass of sangria on the street...Las Ramblas is a whole different animal in the afternoon/evening so it is worth going twice since you mentioned you were interested in it.

Assuming you have from 11am-5pm between Sagrada Familia and returning to Las Ramblas, I would recommend selecting two other attractions and spending 2 hours at each along with a nice 2 hour Catalan lunch. Overall, I think that would be a nice day in Barcelona - busy, but with a nice break in the middle to relax and enjoy the Spanish lifestyle a little bit.

**final thought - If you are a shopper (I am definitely not), you can easily change your plans to include only one other attraction in Barcelona and return to Las Ramblas earlier in the afternoon for more time to shop/explore.

My advice is to get up early and make the most of your day. When you dock at 7am, you will have the option to take a shuttle to the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas. .

Sorry to interject into the conversation but you seem to know your way around Barcelona. I have always wanted to see the Plaza Espanya area including Poble Espanol - can this area be done in a couple of hours???

Wow! What great info, bqkali! Thanks so much. I think I'll add the Barri Gotic and then spend more afternoon time on Las Ramblas. We'll be here towards the end of our cruise, so something less structured (and some opportunities to sit and people watch) will be a welcome change.

Sorry to interject into the conversation but you seem to know your way around Barcelona. I have always wanted to see the Plaza Espanya area including Poble Espanol - can this area be done in a couple of hours???

The audioguide for Poble Espanol is 60 minutes of audio + whatever time you spend loitering, but you could see the "village" in 90 minutes or less. I'm not sure what else you are interested in? Montjuic Park is in that area if you want to walk around or go to a viewpoint, maybe head to the Montjuic castle, take the cable car...I didn't see much of interest near Placa Espanya - the magic fountains are there (best for an evening show) and the art museum, but otherwise not much other "touristy" stuff right in the plaza.

How much time you need will depend on what exactly you are looking to do.

(All this Barcelona talk makes me want to return soon! :rolleyes: What a great city!!!)

My advice is to get up early and make the most of your day. When you dock at 7am, you will have the option to take a shuttle to the Columbus statue at the foot of Las Ramblas. From there, I would walk up Las Ramblas exploring the stands and shops all the way up to La Boqueria. Plan on skipping breakfast onboard and instead "eat" your way through the market, trying the fruits, breads, cheeses, meats, and pastries. It makes La Boqueria much more enjoyable. The walk to La Boqueria should take no more than 15 minutes but could take all day if you want to look at every stand. Regardless, see as much as you can see by 8:45am.

From Liceu station, hop on the metro to Sagrada Familia, which opens at 9am. I recommend getting there as close to 9am as you can to avoid lines. A thorough visit - including time to listen to the audioguide and a trip up the bell tower - should take about 2 hours. You can certainly spend less time if you wish.

So now you're at about 11am on your day and you've already seen everything you listed. There are TONS of other things to see so you will need to decide what you are interested in. Look into either Gaudi house (La Pedrera/Casa Mila or Casa Battlo), the Picasso Museum, the City History Museum, Palau Musica (for a tour and/or performance), Barri Gotic (Gothic Neighborhood, including the cathedral and/or the beautiful Santa Maria del Mar church), Parc Guell, Montjuic, Barceloneta (for beaches), Poble Espanol, a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus if you just want a city overview...as you can see the list is long! A good guidebook will help you determine what fits your interests best so you can have an enjoyable day. There is something for everyone in Barcelona.

Regardless, stop your plans at 5pm to head to Placa Catalunya to walk down Las Ramblas all the way back to the Columbus statue where you will re-join the shuttle to the ship. Spend the final hour of your day before reboarding the ship by watching the street entertainers, maybe doing more shopping, maybe enjoying a glass of sangria on the street...Las Ramblas is a whole different animal in the afternoon/evening so it is worth going twice since you mentioned you were interested in it.

Assuming you have from 11am-5pm between Sagrada Familia and returning to Las Ramblas, I would recommend selecting two other attractions and spending 2 hours at each along with a nice 2 hour Catalan lunch. Overall, I think that would be a nice day in Barcelona - busy, but with a nice break in the middle to relax and enjoy the Spanish lifestyle a little bit.

**final thought - If you are a shopper (I am definitely not), you can easily change your plans to include only one other attraction in Barcelona and return to Las Ramblas earlier in the afternoon for more time to shop/explore.

:pWe will disembark the Celebrity Summit in Barcelona on November 28, flying home the next morning. Could you recommend a hotel convenient to drop off our luggage before doing the itinerary you have outlined? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

:confused:

Wow! What great info, bqkali! Thanks so much. I think I'll add the Barri Gotic and then spend more afternoon time on Las Ramblas. We'll be here towards the end of our cruise, so something less structured (and some opportunities to sit and people watch) will be a welcome change.

For the Barri Gotic - it can be fun to just wander aimlessly - but I would recommend also getting a walking tour to learn more about the history while you're in the area. There are actual guided tours (10-15 euro) or you can get a guidebook & map or print some directions off the internet. The cathedral is nice, but my absolute favorite was Santa Maria del Mar church. You'll have time for both as you walk.

Also, don't be shy and take some time to hit one of the pastry shops for a delicious treat!!

:pWe will disembark the Celebrity Summit in Barcelona on November 28, flying home the next morning. Could you recommend a hotel convenient to drop off our luggage before doing the itinerary you have outlined? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Sorry, I don't have much to offer. I've actually only stayed at the Renaissance hotel near the airport. It was a nice hotel but the location is a little inconvenient. We made it work since we had lots of points for free nights :)

I know there have been many recommendations for hotels here on the Spain Ports board.

Thoughts?

Also... what's the process of port to city center here?

Thanks!

I suggest not wasting too much time on Las Ramblas. It is just a wide street fulll of a sea of humanity , where the pickpocketrs have a field day with unsuspecting tourists. la Boqueria is on Las Ramblas and that is a definite must see. It is also nice to walk in the Barrio Gotico and visit the Cathedral there. I would also leave some time for a nice lunch.

I suggest the Atrium Palace on Via de las Cortes Catalanes, near Paseig de Gracia ( where some of Gaudis buildings are)and Plaza Catalunya. It is a modern 4 stars that usually offers good rates in their website.

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest not wasting too much time on Las Ramblas. It is just a wide street fulll of a sea of humanity , where the pickpocketrs have a field day with unsuspecting tourists. la Boqueria is on Las Ramblas and that is a definite must see. It is also nice to walk in the Barrio Gotico and visit the Cathedral there. I would also leave some time for a nice lunch.

I'm hoping for a less crowded experience in October vs summer. That said... I'm an avid people watcher and my spanish professor swears that there is so much to see and enjoy in the area. After many rushed ports, we want to take a more leisurely pace in Barcelona and really just enjoy the day.

I'm hoping for a less crowded experience in October vs summer. That said... I'm an avid people watcher and my spanish professor swears that there is so much to see and enjoy in the area. After many rushed ports, we want to take a more leisurely pace in Barcelona and really just enjoy the day.

Yes, there is a lot to see and enjoy in Barcelona. While you seem to have strong preferences for taking it easy that day and spending a lot of time on Las Ramblas, I would also recommend pushing yourself a little more to see some of the other (more worthwhile) sites and spending only a moderate amount of time on Las Ramblas. Is it possible you could do more strolling/people watching in another port so you have more energy in Barcelona? Just a thought...

I am certainly not advising to skip Las Ramblas altogether; rather that three hours would be HUGELY plenty - one hour for strolling, one hour for La Boqueria, and one hour for sitting on the street with sangria and people-watching. :) I would recommend having a backup plan to check out another attraction in case you find yourself bored :rolleyes: I think you will find yourself disappointed if you miss all that Barcelona has to offer because you scheduled almost all day for Las Ramblas. The only reason you would need hours here is if you were a shopper, planning to stop in all the little stores and stands, but that doesn't seem to be your plan for the day (which is fine because there is better shopping elsewhere in Barca.) Even if your main goal is people-watching, I'd break it up - you will see many different types of people and interactions depending on what neighborhood you are in, so there's no need to limit yourself to watching tourists. Head to Barceloneta or Eixample or elsewhere to observe the Catalans :)

All right, now that I've said my piece, I'll shut up and let you make your own decisions ;)

October should be a beautiful time of year for Barcelona. I went in April, also the shoulder-season, and found plenty to do without the extreme crowds and heat! Enjoy your visit!!

I agree that Las Ramblas requires only an hour, maybe two, unless you plan to take time in La Bocqueria which we, unfortunately, missed both times in Barcelona. Before the cruise, we got to Las Ramblas too late in the day and after the cruise, it was Sunday. The street performers are fun to watch as you walk down the street (just keep watch over your valuables). Look out for the naked man. Completely terrified by 12-year-old son but what local color!:eek: I also highly recommend the Barri Gotic. I think that it was my favorite place. The cathedral is beautiful and the narrow streets and little walkways are so different from what we used to in the states. Tons of places to grab a quick bite.

Also, don't discount using the Metro. It was super easy, well marked, and cheap. The only time we had any issues was getting to Parc Guell which required transferring to a bus and we got kind of lost but did find it. It was worth the trip.

We're planning a return visit to Barcelona in Nov/09 to meet our transAtlantic cruise. We've already seen many of the top spots so we want to see things we missed before. Would appreciate feedback on the following choices:

Inside visit to EITHER Casa Mila OR Casa Battlo. Which & why?

Evening show at EITHER Montjuic Fountains OR Tarantos Flamenco.

Any tips on these or other activities appreciated.

My personal favorite was Casa Battlo aka House of Bones. There are no straight lines or corners in this house. The theme of the construction was the sea, and you really do feel this, as well as the structure of the whales ribs. The rooftop has the decorative chimney's, and a closer look at the dragon spine front of the home. It was a really terrific place.

Casa Mila probably has more to see inside, particularly if you have a strong interest in the elements of architecture. There is a museum with some short films, an apartment (each is built as a circle around the inside courtyard), and of course, the rooftop with views of Sagrada Familia,and "The Suppository".

It is totally possible to walk from one to the other, as they are only a couple of blocks apart on the same street.

I agree that Las Ramblas requires only an hour, maybe two, unless you plan to take time in La Bocqueria which we, unfortunately, missed both times in Barcelona. Before the cruise, we got to Las Ramblas too late in the day and after the cruise, it was Sunday. The street performers are fun to watch as you walk down the street (just keep watch over your valuables). Look out for the naked man. Completely terrified by 12-year-old son but what local color!:eek: I also highly recommend the Barri Gotic. I think that it was my favorite place. The cathedral is beautiful and the narrow streets and little walkways are so different from what we used to in the states. Tons of places to grab a quick bite.

Also, don't discount using the Metro. It was super easy, well marked, and cheap. The only time we had any issues was getting to Parc Guell which required transferring to a bus and we got kind of lost but did find it. It was worth the trip.

Ok, you have my attention...the naked man. When we were there, we saw 2 naked men in the vicinity of Columbus Circle. My husband said that if I hadn't told him to look, he would not have believed me. They were totally naked except for shoes (not sandals) and they were walking like they had someplace to go. Any info on this?

I disagree with that Las Ramblas is not a great place to see. It is true there are many pickpockets, I always wear a money belt in Europe the the sea of humanity with the "little birds", the mimes and other entertainers is a must see in Barcleona.

I think we've determined that we'll add Barri Gotic to our itinerary. Now, it's a challenge to determine the order of things. La Sagrada Familia, Barri Gotic, Las Ramblas and La Boqueria. Thoughts? If we do metro... anyone remember which lines/trains/etc.?

Our transfer picks us up at 11 a.m. on 10/11 and embarkation is at 1 p.m. Would we have time, after we're settled on the ship to take a taxi to Parc Guell, look around there for a bit and take a taxi back to the ship by 4:00 p.m.? I have no idea how far anything is and if it is possible to do. This is our first cruise, so we have no idea what to expect, but we hate the thought of wasting all of Sunday without seeing more of Barcelona. Thanks for your input!

Our transfer picks us up at 11 a.m. on 10/11 and embarkation is at 1 p.m. Would we have time, after we're settled on the ship to take a taxi to Parc Guell, look around there for a bit and take a taxi back to the ship by 4:00 p.m.? I have no idea how far anything is and if it is possible to do. This is our first cruise, so we have no idea what to expect, but we hate the thought of wasting all of Sunday without seeing more of Barcelona. Thanks for your input!

Is it possible for you to cancel your transfer and plan on heading to the port later in the afternoon?

It would be easy for you to take a taxi (or bus) to Parc Guell in the morning and spend some time there. Then return to your hotel, collect your luggage, and take a taxi (or re-booked transfer) to the port to board the ship. The Voyager doesn't leave Barcelona til 7pm, so even though embarkation might begin at 1pm, you don't need to be onboard until 5 or 6 if you would rather use the day to sightsee.

Both Parc Guell & the port are quick, easy taxi rides from the city center.

Is it possible for you to cancel your transfer and plan on heading to the port later in the afternoon?

It would be easy for you to take a taxi (or bus) to Parc Guell in the morning and spend some time there. Then return to your hotel, collect your luggage, and take a taxi (or re-booked transfer) to the port to board the ship. The Voyager doesn't leave Barcelona til 7pm, so even though embarkation might begin at 1pm, you don't need to be onboard until 5 or 6 if you would rather use the day to sightsee.

OT...bqkali, welcome back:D...how was the cruise???:) Will you post

something over on the Solo forum for everyone?

Thanks...back to the subject at hand:)

Unfortunately, RCI said it cannot be changed since they're picking up people from different hotels. We just might cancel it, get up early and look around and then take a cab later. Only problem is the luggage. We'll figure it out. Thanks for your input!

Unfortunately, RCI said it cannot be changed since they're picking up people from different hotels. We just might cancel it, get up early and look around and then take a cab later. Only problem is the luggage. We'll figure it out. Thanks for your input!

Most hotels are happy to hold your luggage at the front desk (usually they have a secure room) after check-out. You would most likely need to pack up and check out in the morning before you leave for the day, then stop by the hotel at any point to reclaim your luggage and taxi to the pier. Barcelona is very compact so a taxi will get you pretty much anywhere quickly :)

Archived