Anything I Can Do

gebo

Bought my mom a cruise for her 95th birthday. The morning of her birthday, 5 days before cruise, she went to the ER with a fractured vertabrae. Surgery.

Needless to say, I had to cancel our 5 night bahama cruise.We had a cat 12 cabin on the Facination. I called Carnival and they credited my flower and fruit gifts. They gave me an address to write to, and I did, asking for a cruise credit. I have not heard anything. Should I just give up?

I know I should have bought insurance, and let them know that I understood they didn't have to refund. It would be great if they even gave us part of the fare back in credit. Any ideas.

I know, I know, insurance next time.

Bought my mom a cruise for her 95th birthday. The morning of her birthday, 5 days before cruise, she went to the ER with a fractured vertabrae. Surgery.

Needless to say, I had to cancel our 5 night bahama cruise.We had a cat 12 cabin on the Facination. I called Carnival and they credited my flower and fruit gifts. They gave me an address to write to, and I did, asking for a cruise credit. I have not heard anything. Should I just give up?

I know I should have bought insurance, and let them know that I understood they didn't have to refund. It would be great if they even gave us part of the fare back in credit. Any ideas.

First off, hope your Mom is OK. There is really no more you can do. You might get something back if someone is sympathetic but if word gets out that they do this people would just quit buying insurance and then apply for credit.

What an aweful thing to have to go through. I do hope the woman will recover quickly!

I did a quick check and travel insurance for a 5 night cruise worth $1,000 for someone 95 years old was between $150 and $200. Not sure what it covers but I suppose an accident like what happened in this case would be covered.

So as a goodwill gesture, the cruise line could give you some credit toward a future cruise but I would not expect anywhere close to a full credit.

If people could get help in emergencies, why pay money for insurance?

Hopefully your mom recovers, but at her age it might be v ery slow.

You are right. You give a cruise to a 95 year old and don't pay the extra for the insurance? :eek: Yes, you should give up. If you get anything it should go to insurance for your next cruise.:rolleyes:

A 95 year old, and no insurance. What if she needed a medi-vac while on the cruise? Could you afford the helicopter bill out of pocket?

At this point, I would just be thankful that it happened before the cruise, and not while on the cruise. I wouldn't focus on trying to scam the company out of more money.

Why do people come here and ask if they can get something when they have not purchased insurance. My lord that is what it is for. I'm sorry but if you choose not to buy it why should you receive anything. Everyone on here has a sob story as to why they had to cancel. Why would anyone buy insurance if the cruise lines refund cruise fares? If this sounds harsh well it is because I get tired of no one taking personal resposibility for their actions.

On another note I do hope your Mother is doing well and recovering.

I too hope your mom is doing well and I wish her a speedy recovery

However, I have to agree...you didn't buy insurance, so why should Carnival do anything for you?? that is just not fair to those of us who do buy it

If I drive without insurance and get in a car wreck would Ford kick in a car deal or help with repairs just cause they felt sorry for me??

If you purchased the cruise with a credit card, the whole cruise, you might be able to get something back. Check with your credit card company and see if they do anything like that...I hope your Mom is feeling better!!

Good Luck!!!

it s great that your mom would even consider a cruise at 95..my mom is

85 and there s no way she would want to go..:(

and i hope you do get your credit..it s just horrible..i think you ve done all you could..and maybe in a month you can call back to find out if the cruise credit is in place..

even if you don t get it..you ll know you did all you could do..no use

telling you about that insurance issue..you already feel bad enough..

Thanks all. Mom is in rehab and is remarkable; you'd never guess her age, and she loves to go. I've given her a birthday cruise for the past 5 years, it's become a ritual. A cruise is a wonderful vacation for the elderly and infirm, I've found the staff to be phenominal! Meanwhile I'm burning up the road between here and FL trying to take responsibilty for her, and my job.

Yes, I know no insurance was not a good idea. I'm not begging for a hand out; I figure money comes, money goes. A lot of people suggested I ask for a cruise credit; in my opinion anything is a godsend.

Today (go figure) I received an e-mail from Carnival saying that they were considering a credit. It would be a great goodwill gesture, and of course, word of mouth is the best advertising. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks all. Mom is in rehab and is remarkable; you'd never guess her age, and she loves to go. I've given her a birthday cruise for the past 5 years, it's become a ritual. A cruise is a wonderful vacation for the elderly and infirm, I've found the staff to be phenominal! Meanwhile I'm burning up the road between here and FL trying to take responsibilty for her, and my job.

Yes, I know no insurance was not a good idea. I'm not begging for a hand out; I figure money comes, money goes. A lot of people suggested I ask for a cruise credit; in my opinion anything is a godsend.

Today (go figure) I received an e-mail from Carnival saying that they were considering a credit. It would be a great goodwill gesture, and of course, word of mouth is the best advertising. I'll keep you posted.

Hopefully your mom does well in rehab and can cruise in the near future. Fingers crossed.:)

Archived