Zuiderdam Review 12/23/04 Cruise

Stevedan

My family and I returned from the 12/23 Zuiderdam sailing yesterday afternoon. Although it took about 1-2 days to feel at home aboard the ship, we all had a wonderful time. For some perspective, we were a group of 6 (ages ranging from 6 1/2 - 65) and are experienced cruisers. We have cruised before on Celebrity, HAL, RCCL, Princess, Cunard, Carnival, Home Lines, and a few others. While the ship did have its flaws, we had a great time and would return to HAL. However, we all felt that Princess was slightly better than HAL.

Here are some random thoughts about the ship and the complaints/rumors I read about so much here:

1. We were seating on the second floor of the dining room, toward the back. There was little vibration. The only time I felt vibration was the first night at dinner (the ship left late at 8pm due to delayed incoming flights) when the ship got underway. I think the vibration was only during the several turns it took to get out of the harbor.

2. There was a faint but definite smell of sewerage just forward of the ship's location map on Deck 3. Nothing overpowering, but there.

3. The crew was just about the friendliest I have come across in recent years. Everyone had a smile on their face and said hello. Please look out for Okey Dokie and Hunkey Dorie in the Lido - they make everyone smile. This was an incredibly emotional week on board as 40% of the crew comes from Indonesia. The majority did not know whether their family was alive or not. As of 12/29, the last day of the cruise, our cabin steward told us that 3 cabin stewards were able to confirm deaths in their families. They were being flown home on 12/30 at Holland America's expense. The rest did not have any news. The Indonesian crew show brought tears to alot of eyes when the crew sang God Bless America and the Indonesian National Anthem and waved a big Indonesian flag. It was incrediable that these nice people were able to put a smile on their face and do their work as if nothing had happened.

4. While just about any ship is better than not being on a ship, I have to say that this is just about the ugliest ship I have ever sailed on. The use of bright colors that don't match right next to each other was jarring and gaudy. None of the public rooms made me say "wow, this is beautiful". I felt there was no class at all in the decor. The use of so many different colors of vinyl in the public rooms looked like something cheap and out of the 1960s. The ship was also extremely worn. The railings in the glass elevators were all worn down to the underlying fibers; signage was scratched; the flooring in the cabin bathroom was peeling; the back of the drapes next to the cabin verandah was torn. I was surprised to see an HAL ship in need of an "extreme makeover - ship edition". I prefer the more open and bright Princess Grand Class ships. The ceilings on the Zuiderdam in the public areas were low and the lounges too dark for my taste. The beds were, however, the most comfortable on any ship I have sailed.

5. The lines at the shore excursion desk the first afternoon were long and slow moving. They need alot of help at that time. I stood on line for about 1 hour to get a 5 minute question answered. Very frustrating.

6. The food was very good for the most part both in taste and presentation.

7. The Cruise Director, Rebecca Hannam, and staff (esp. her assistant Troy Anderson) were excellent.

8. The last day or so of the cruise were extremely rough (the Report from the Bridge on the TV said 12-18 waves). Although I have not had this done any other ship, I would have been nice for the Captain or other officer to announce what the weather was expected to be and for how long they expected the rough seas. The motion does not bother me, but it would have been nice to tell my children about how long the it was expected to last.

9. Half Moon Cay was wonderful. We had a great time there. Tender lines to go ashore were long, however.

10. It would have been nice to have some spirited Carobbean music around the pools, esp. during the deck party. Any Caribbean music was recorded. The live music by the pool tended to be jazz (not bad, just not my taste).

11. It was very thoughtful of the Captain to delay sailing from Port Everglades for 3 hours so only about 20 people whose flights were late could get to the ship.

These are just my random thoughts about the cruise. I was not intending to complain, as we all had a great time. I would pick HAL again, but would give the edge to Princess. I was just giving my impressions. I would be glad to answer any specific questions. Please email me directly as I can respond quicker that way. Happy New Year to all!

Intersting review, we sailed on Zuiderdam in July and had some of the same concerns. I agree that te ship is not very attractive, nt just in style, but I thought it lacked a compfortable feel, we did not find a place to sit for a Martini that was cozy. The staff on the ship was probably the worse we have ever had, so maybe they had switched crews by december.

That was our first cruise on HAL and although I was not overly impressed, I would sail them again just to go back to HalfMoon Cay, and to get a second opinion.....

Thanks for the review, glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip

Stevedan, you mentioned that you had a 6 1/2 year old in your group. Did they use the Kids Club? If so any information on it would be helpful. Was it opened on the first night? We want to eat in the Pinn. and are sure our kids would not want to.

Stevedan, you mentioned that you had a 6 1/2 year old in your group. Did they use the Kids Club? If so any information on it would be helpful. Was it opened on the first night? We want to eat in the Pinn. and are sure our kids would not want to.

My children did not want to go to Club HAL, the kids' club, so I cannot really comment. All children aboard seemed to be having a great time, though. My children were disappointed in the video arcade. It was small and many of the games did not work.

Archived