LIVE from the Star - 8/30/09 Alaska

mariakitty

We are having a fabulous time on the beautiful Star Princess. The weather has been spectular until today - we are in Skagway and it's our first day of rain. Embarkation was a breeze in Seattle. We stayed at the Red Lion with their cruise and park package, and a Town Car took us to the pier (part of the hotel package). We arrived around 11:30am and were on the ship by noon. We were very impressed and quite relieved at how easy it was at Pier 91.

Monday was formal night and we ate at Sabatini's. I read about how much food is served, yet I was still surprised! It was a lovely meal and we are very pleased we spent our anniversary dinner there. The piazza and International Cafe are favorite spots on the ship, and I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of food in the buffet. Definitely better than on previous ships.

The only negative I have found so far is the beds, but that is usually a problem for me. :) Our cabin steward is so helpful and aims to please. We have been fortunate to sit with a wonderful group of people at dinner (2nd seating). We are always the last table to leave the dining room because we are having too much fun!

My internet minutes are ticking away, so send me your questions and I will gladly answer. More later!!

Maria

Yesterday we were in Skagway and it rained. We stayed on the ship and enjoyed the hot tub and the quiet. Very relaxing! The weather improved upon leaving Skagway and had some wonderful view of glaciers, waterfalls and even a blue whale! We have enjoyed listening to the naturalist and have learned quite a lot from her.

Last night was Alaskan King Crab in the dining room and it was superb! Tonight is formal night with lobster. We are at sea today and the seas are choppy and a bit uncomfortable. The seas are supposed to improve later today.

Maria

I see you are from Grants Pass. We were on the Star two weeks ago and we shared a table one night with some folks from Klamath Falls.

We had rain in Skagway as well. Perhaps it's a pattern.

This was our first cruise and I guess I was spoiled by the first several days in the Inside Passage when it was so smooth. We awoke Friday morning to rough seas and a rocking boat and it caught lots of us by surprise. I wish we could have stayed closer to land on the return leg. It calmed down a lot by Saturday afternoon and our arrival in Victoria, where it was beautiful.

Thanks for the "Live from .......". We're sailing on the Star in under 9 days and are so excited. We can't wait to see Alaska for the first time!

How are the temperatures? We're still trying to firm up our packing plans.

Keep the posts coming. please.

Archived