New Orleans hotel ???

CMOTO

I would like to plan another cruise, we have been on the Holiday that left from Mobile. Now I want to leave out of New Orleans, my question.... has anyone stayed at a hotel and left the car so you didn't have to pay the 70 dollars at the pier, if so where was it and did it really save any money?? I love New Orleans so we would go down the day before. I just don't know if its better to stay the nite and park or just park at the pier and pay 70$$.

Thanks for any help!! My husband and I have been on one cruise and now we are hooked, I was told this would happen!!:D

You will probably have better luck getting an answer to this on the New Orleans port board. Here is the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=21

We have stayed in New Orleans 4 or 5 times but all before Katrina and never to go on a cruise. I will say it is a great city to visit if you enjoy history.

Have a great next cruise.

I don't know if they still have it, but the Drury Inn had a cruise special that included free parking for the time you were at the hotel and on the cruise. It was in a gated lot. I think rooms were about $100 a night, and well worth it. Great hotel, good evening snacks and cocktails and a great hot breakfast that included scrambled eggs, bisuits and gravy, sausage or bacon, and french toast. You could also make your own Belgian waffle, and there was the usual assortment of cereals, bagels, muffins, pastries, juice, coffee, milk, etc. The only down-side of this hotel is that there is very little in the way of restaurants near by. Mother's is the closest that I saw, and it's definitely worth a trip there for lunch or dinner! You are quite a ways from the FQ (I saw that as a good thing) but there is a trolley stop on the side of the hotel and you can take that down if you want to get to the FQ.

Most of the hotels are going to charge a daily fee to park so not sure if you come out ahead. I have heard about the Drury. The area around across from Harrah's has been made into a patio of sorts with a few restaurants and there are several others in walking distance. I will try to keep an eye out the next time I am there to see if there are any signs about cruise parking.

thanks for your input...i agree with last post, its hard to leave nawlins!!!! We leave for Mexico(land trip all-inclusive) in October and I am trying to talk my husband into another cruise in December. I can't believe how much we really like cruising, its soooo awesome, wish we could do one every month!!!!:p

I would like to plan another cruise, we have been on the Holiday that left from Mobile. Now I want to leave out of New Orleans, my question.... has anyone stayed at a hotel and left the car so you didn't have to pay the 70 dollars at the pier, if so where was it and did it really save any money?? I love New Orleans so we would go down the day before. I just don't know if its better to stay the nite and park or just park at the pier and pay 70$$.

Thanks for any help!! My husband and I have been on one cruise and now we are hooked, I was told this would happen!!:D

Most hotels charge $10-20 /day for parking, so I suspect you wouldn't want to do what you're suggesting.

We saw cruise parking for a 7 day at $96 at the pier)that was the price this past January). The free parking at the Drury was well worth it. It is walkable, but it's long. If you have much luggage, elderly or children, some one might drive down, drop luggage and most people, go back and park and walk. It's about 12 blocks, I think. Then when you get back, someone goes to get the car while others wait. Worked out well for us.

At the end of Poydras (I think thats the name of the street), there's a mall (from the Drury, walk toward the river). There is a seafood restarant to the left of the mall. Past that seafood restaurant is the Aquarium of the Americas. There are also a couple of opportunities to go out on the might Mississippi - the Cajun Queen is one and I forget the other. The Cajun Queen is right between the mall and the seafood place.

Archived