Is NO ONE booking ship shore excursions???

gramwii

Maybe because you have never gone DIY! Different strokes and all that. Personally I am unwilling to pay triple or quadruple the prices I could see the same sites for myself. . .and do it at my own pace, with the stops I want, and not be forced to stop at particular shopping areas. But if you are happy with it, more power to you, and I am sure your cruiseline loves you for it!

Cathy

Don't just assume that DIY will be less money than all ships tours. In looking at ships tours to Tauromina last fall, had it been just my DH and I it would have been a "Break even" proposition to take the ship's tour there as it was to rent a taxi (because of the day/time we were in port, taking the train or other public transport really wasn't an option) -- Since DD was with us, the taxi was less than three of us on the ship's tour.

The kind of travellers we are, we enjoyed doing it "on our own" more than we would have enjoyed the ship's tour -- so we got additional value from our DIY trip, but not everyone likes DIY.

And there are times/places where a formal guided tour is appreciated.

Don't just assume that DIY will be less money than all ships tours. In looking at ships tours to Tauromina last fall, had it been just my DH and I it would have been a "Break even" proposition to take the ship's tour there as it was to rent a taxi (because of the day/time we were in port, taking the train or other public transport really wasn't an option) -- Since DD was with us, the taxi was less than three of us on the ship's tour.

The kind of travellers we are, we enjoyed doing it "on our own" more than we would have enjoyed the ship's tour -- so we got additional value from our DIY trip, but not everyone likes DIY.

And there are times/places where a formal guided tour is appreciated.

No, if you are using a taxi then I would not imagine it would be cheaper. I was referring to using public transportation--buses, metro, train and my own two feet! I know on our last cruise, Rome on Your Own, where they just take you into Rome on a bus and leave you there, was $89; the train fare r/t is 9 euros.

Cathy

We have only cruised the caribbean so far and have done some wonderful excursions that were't ship sponsored and never had any problems. I am now researching our Mediterranean cruise in 2011 and it is a little overwelming because there are so many things to see.I guess we have to decide which is most important and alsojust want to spend some time doing local things.

When we first started cruising we booked our excursions through the cruise line. It didn't take us long to venture off on our own, something we like to do, are able to do and consider part of the adventure.

We've been to Europe on land vacations a few times, but our next trip will be on a cruise, and the best part is that it's paid for by my husband's company as a "thank you" for 20 years of employment. The catch is that the money has been deposited into the account of a travel agent, who will make all the arrangements for us. Yes, it's a catch-22! We'd love to have the freedom to book our own excursions, but instead find ourselves straining to spend every single $ on wine packages (not a problem!), pre-paid gratuities, nice flights and excursions. The excursions is the tough part for us. We know we'll wait in line to board a bus, to follow the umbrella, and all the other negative aspects of cruise ship excursions. We will be part of the herd, but we'll manage :)

We have one port (Florence...Livorno) where we are free to do our own thing! Yeah! We've been there and to the surrounding areas a few times, mostly due to the fact that we had a daughter who studied in Florence while she was a junior in college. She later moved there for a year, which gave us more excuses to visit. We'll find something, figure out a way to see something off the beaten path.

Bottom line: know yourself. If you feel more comfortable with someone else managing the details and knowing that you'll be taken care of, then booking through the cruise lines ensures that level of comfort.

On the other hand, if you're comfortable reaching out to people on CC and/or booking an excursion mentioned here under Ports of Call, then I do believe you'll find a value and an experience unrivaled by anything the cruise line can deliver.

I just might be one of those disgruntled guests standing in line to complain about an excursion.......but, you know what? I've never been on an excursion that I didn't enjoy. It's not work, it's play, vacation, FUN and we always enjoy that special time:o

Bottom line: .......but, you know what? I've never been on an excursion that I didn't enjoy. It's not work, it's play, vacation, FUN and we always enjoy that special time :o

Yep, that's our philosophy. We'll sail with you guys anyday !!!

We had excellent tours wit Remo and Roberto of driverinrome. They are very professional, know their stuff and are fun to boot.

On our cruise last fall we never found a ship's tour that was less expensive than a private tour. In addition with the private tours we chose what we wanted and were able to avoid the time consuming shopping stops.

We had a 12 day cruise from Venice to Barcelona in the spring of 2009. As we were boarding a shore excursion in Barcelona, other passengers were wining, "We're so ready for this cruise to end. They herded us around like cattle. All we did was ride on buses and wait in lines."

I thought, 'They should have been with us." I spent hours going through threads on the internet trying to find the right excursions for our party of 7.

(7 was the perfect size in Italy. That provided the lowest rate per person on private excursions - such as those we took with RomeInLimo. That was the largest size they could take. On the other hand, 6 was the most they could take in Barcelona, so we were stuck with a shore excursion through the cruise line.)

In Rome, vehicles with more than 7 passengers (plus driver) aren't allowed to let passengers off within a very long distance of the sights they want, while vans can drop off passengers at the door to their sights (like the Vatican) or at the nearest intersection (like the Coliseum ).

The private tours provide personalized tours for your own particular group - and give you special insight. Loved It!

Archived