Quick question (Cane Garden Bay)

Me&Steenie

I sailed on the Carnival Freedom the week of August 15 to 23. My daughter and I went to Cane Garden Bay, and I was shocked that the water was so rough, with big waves! :eek: (I assume it was because Hurricane Bill was in the area). The weather was sunny and beautiful though.

Is the water always so rough here? I wanted to go somewhere with calm, clear water, and from travel books and Cruise Critic boards I thought I made the right choice. But holy cow! I'd like to know for future reference in case I'm ever in Tortola again, because it is a beautiful beach. I'd just prefer a place with calm water. Thanks!

Come on, you're not serious are you? Yes CGB is normally calm but you must realize no one can control the weather or the seas. The islands still sit in the open ocean and conditions at the beach can be altered by storms and other situations many miles away. You can never count on any ocean beach being calm all the time. I've seen lakes with bigger waves then CGB but that doesn't mean they're always that way. For that matter, I've been on cruises where the pool had bigger waves due to sea conditions. :D

It would not have mattered which BVI beach you went to at that time if a storm was in the area, it would have probably been very similar conditions.

Another thing just for future reference. The winter months bring north shore swells to the BVI. Carrot Bay for example, can be flat & smooth in the summer (barring weather) but it's a surfers beach in the winter months because of the waves.

• 2 weeks later...

When I visited Cane Garden Bay, the waves were a bit on the high side, too. I loved it!!!!! I'm from the East Coast and grew up riding the waves of the much colder Atlantic. What a treat to be in that beautiful warm Caribbean water riding the waves--I didn't want the day to end. I hope it's like that on my next visit.

Archived