Boudicca - 18th December 2009 - Anyone going

Sunnydale

We're going! Very much looking forward to it, it's our first ever cruises.

Despite hubby working for Fred Olsen for nearly 2 years now, we've not yet taken advantage of the discount he gets but decided it was about time we did so have booked this one to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

I've been looking in to getting to Bruges from Zeebrugge, but public transport options seem fairly limited. Does anybody fancy sharing a taxi? If it's 90 euros for a round trip with up to 8 people, it would be a reasonable price if everybody clubbed together? Much cheaper than the price FO are proposing to charge, and you only get 2.5 hours in Bruges as well if you go with them.

Anyway, hope everybody enjoys it. Can't believe it's only just over a week to go now!

:)

Good to hear from somebody else on the cruise - its our first with Fred Olsen and as you say just round the corner.

Yes, will will share a taxi to Bruges and there are four of us - have already looked at the public transport option and decided not to risk it with the short time in port and turning dark early. We have emailed a taxi company but still waiting for a reply, the alternative would be to pick up a taxi at the dock but far better to agree a price and duration in advance. Although we are on late sitting out intention is to be back on board prabably by 6.00pm to allow for traffic delays or other problems, unless its their own tour Fred Olsen will not wait and we do not want to be left standing on the dock.

Hi Childrenanddogs

We would like to share a taxi with you too, and we are also on 2.nd.sitting, so then we would be 8 incl. Sunnydale.

I can guarantee you it will not be your last cruise, you will be bitten by the bug, like most people.

We are Maybritt and Ted from Suffolk, How will we meet up, any suggestion?

Mayted :)

Hi Childrenanddogs

We would like to share a taxi with you too, and we are also on 2.nd.sitting, so then we would be 8 incl. Sunnydale.

I can guarantee you it will not be your last cruise, you will be bitten by the bug, like most people.

We are Maybritt and Ted from Suffolk, How will we meet up, any suggestion?

Mayted :)

Brilliant, so we can fill a taxi between us and if it's only 90 euros then that's not too bad - more expensive than the train but a lot easier and quicker than walking to the station and potentially waiting 55 mins for the train that only goes once an hour at the weekend!!

That's great. Sunnydate, have you emailed the company mentioned earlier in the thread or another one? I can email the one above if you haven't already contacted them.

As a complete newbie, I've no idea how we can all meet up, is there somewhere obvious on board that we could meet? And what sort of time will we be disembarking if we are due to dock at 12pm? We're also second sitting, so the proposed timings work for us. From what I can gather, it's 20-30 mins in to the centre of Bruges from the port by car.

And Ships Cat, really sorry to hear it. I hope that you manage to get your tests done before, and hope it's nothing serious. Fingers crossed for you.

It is around a ½ hour drive from Zeebrugge to Bruges. Make sure you know the exact name of the dock. Last December on Aurora we left two passengers behind. The taxi had taken them to the ferry dock and they couldn't get back round to our berth in time, even though the ship waited an extra ½ hour!

Sorry I won't be with you all as I had to cancel today. Hope you have a lovely cruise. I will have to try Boudicca another time.

Hi Childrenanddogs,

It was my daughter who emailed a taxi company but not sure which one as she is out tonight - but as there was no reply you go ahead and email your contact and make a booking, even if its more than 90 euros its still a good deal compared with the alternatives.

I would suggest we meet beforehand, probably in one of the lonuges, either on the Friday afternoon/night or mid morning on the Saturday, and we can decide a meeting point for the taxi and swap mobile phone numbers and cabin numbers.

In fact, if you (and mayted) want to email me with your telephone/cabin number then I will return the email with ours - would be a shame to loose contact as soon as we are on board.

hunt.m5@sky.com

As far as I can tell, with dock in Amsterdam with good public transport near the dock so we will use it - there is a hop on hop off bus that covers most of the sights.

Sunnydale

Hi Childrenanddogs,

It was my daughter who emailed a taxi company but not sure which one as she is out tonight - but as there was no reply you go ahead and email your contact and make a booking, even if its more than 90 euros its still a good deal compared with the alternatives.

I would suggest we meet beforehand, probably in one of the lonuges, either on the Friday afternoon/night or mid morning on the Saturday, and we can decide a meeting point for the taxi and swap mobile phone numbers and cabin numbers.

In fact, if you (and mayted) want to email me with your telephone/cabin number then I will return the email with ours - would be a shame to loose contact as soon as we are on board.

hunt.m5@sky.com

As far as I can tell, with dock in Amsterdam with good public transport near the dock so we will use it - there is a hop on hop off bus that covers most of the sights.

Sunnydale

Thanks Sunnydale, I have emailed you our details, and have emailed the contact given earlier in the thread. I'll let you know when I've heard back from them. Any idea what sort of time we'd want the taxi for if we're due to dock at 12pm? Being a cruise virgin, I have no idea how long we should allow for disembarkation!

Sorry I won't be with you all as I had to cancel today. Hope you have a lovely cruise. I will have to try Boudicca another time.

Really sorry to hear that, I do hope your hospital tests go ok and you can enjoy another cruise very soon.

FO sent me the joining details for the wrong cruise. What time is check-in at Portsmouth on Friday. I don't want to get there too early.

Ours says 4pm if that helps?

:)

Hi Childrenanddogs,

The email has not arrived yet, but will reply when it does.

With Royal Caribbean it was within the half hour of docking, but the taxis were all there ready and waiting - perhaps you shoud just tell them to meet the 12.00pm docking of Boudicca then they will know what dock to go to, we could meet you on the deck the overlooks the docking area just before 12.00pm and as soon as we see passengers being allowed off go down ourselves.

Hi Navaleye,

Good to hear from you, we are first timers with Fred Olsen and understand that unlike some of the larger ships they board by deck - we have been given a boarding time 4.30pm (Atlantic Deck 4)

Booked it yesterday, first time on Boudicca looking forward to it. Any other solo's going?

Well, I was going - I guess you got my cancelled cabin :(

Have a great time.

Children&dogs - there will be a general announcement when passengers are cleared to go ashore - usually around ½ hour after berthing. Thanks for the good wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas

and a very good 2010 to all of you.

Hope you all got safely home. It was really nice to meet up with you: Childrenanddogs and Sunnydale, shame we did not meet the others too.

Unfortunately we did not manage to meet up again to wish each other a merry christmas, we were confined to our cabin from saturday night until we left the ship, a touch of the Norovirus. I think it came from the kitchen. Missed out on Amsterdam, but have been there before, so could have been worse. All that handwashing didn't help in the end.

Mayted

Archived