Honest feedback on new Elite perks!

ewynn07

I cant wait to try the new perks in dec. I would like to know if anyone is tipping?? If so; are you tipping daily or every couple days or at the end of the week?

thanks,

*sweet*

We enjoyed the Concierge Lounge very much when we were on Brilliance of the Seas, and we tipped the Concierge there (that was his title) on our last night. Many others did as well. I did not see any tipping going on on any other evening. The Concierge received his tips graciously and seemed pleased to receive them.

thanks rep for your response but i meant specifically for michaels club. Sorry i wasnt clear enough.

We handed out envelopes at the end of the cruise and saw a few others do the same. This was our own stationary -- no envelopes were provided nor was it suggested that we tip.

We enjoyed the Concierge Lounge very much when we were on Brilliance of the Seas, and we tipped the Concierge there (that was his title) on our last night. Many others did as well. I did not see any tipping going on on any other evening. The Concierge received his tips graciously and seemed pleased to receive them.

Do NOT (sorry, don't mean to shout!) tip the CC Host/Hostess on Celebrity! He is a salaried, uniformed Officer!

On our recent Connie cruise we very much enjoyed the Elite Lounge in Michael's Club. We were very well taken care of by the bar staff and tipped them at the end of the cruise.

We were served as many drinks as we wanted and since we often came in after 5 and were having lovely conversations with other cruisers, we were given an opportunity to order a last round just before 6. Since this was a Baltic cruise we were usually not wearing shorts or bathing suits. On our next cruise which will be in the Caribbean we probably won't have the opportunity to use the benefit as much because we like to spend as much time as possible at the pool. That's alright with me. It's my choice.

We used the internet benefit- 90 minutes for each of us and the free laundry. The new benefits really work well for us. In addition to the tangible benefits, I liked the recognition we got from the very personable Captain's Club host.

...I wonder why they don't call it the Iranian Garden since that is the modern name of Persia? Just wondering??

Denny

For the same reason they still call them 'Persian Rugs'. The old name conjures up a romantic atmosphere of centuries ago.

Now that I think about it, it's a good thing that the Burma name still existed 50 years ago: if not, the old road signs I grew up with would have read 'Myanmar-Shave'!

One suggestion I had while talking to the CC hostess was to make 4PM to 6PM for early seating, and 6PM to 8PM for late seating. But, there are a few conflicts with that also. :cool:

We did not use the Club on our recent 12 Med. cruise because we had early seating and we were usually rushed getting ready for dinner. We went for cappucinos one sea day. On our upcoming Caribbean cruise we will likely have more opportunity to use it because we will have "anytime dining."

I would think gratuities at the end of the week to the bar staff would be appropriate. My presumption is that the same bar staff is in Michael's Club each afternoon. Is this correct?

Yes, the waiters/waitresses are the same every day. For those two hours, they will get nothing if folks don't tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amerie viewpost.gif

Do NOT (sorry, don't mean to shout!) tip the CC Host/Hostess on Celebrity! He is a salaried, uniformed Officer!

Just to be clear for others that have questions about this issue, I was talking about the person who greeted and served in the Concierge Lounge on a RCCL ship. That person, who was called a concierge, was the only person serving 90% of the time, and he was definitely not an officer.

Possibly I should have refrained from posting my RCCL experience. I have no experience (yet) with the new perk available from 4-6 pm in Michael's on Celebrity ships, and was just relating what we experienced on RCCL, which I thought was basically the model for the Elite Lounge on Celebrity.

To be honest, I'm not completely sure that I understand the point you are making as a follow-up to my post. Are you saying that the person hosting during the Elite Lounge period in Michael's is the Captain's Club host/hostess? Sorry, I'm a little confused here. :o

I only dropped in twice. I went once the first morning of my cruise, and had a lovely cappuccino. I called again at 4 , but was told I could NOT have a coffee in the afternoon. I never went again. So they did not have much in tips from me. :rolleyes::D

Jennie, I don't understand why you couldn't have a coffee in the afternoon! I have not sail yet under the new elite perks (will do so in November), but on RCCL in the concierge lounge one could use the machine at any time. I guess there isn't a machine in Michael's, but I thought they did serve coffee drinks in Michael's even at night. That seems short-sighted that they'd give you alcohol for free, but not a cup of coffee (though I know you'd prefer a good cup of chocolate!).

Jennie, I don't understand why you couldn't have a coffee in the afternoon! I have not sail yet under the new elite perks (will do so in November), but on RCCL in the concierge lounge one could use the machine at any time. I guess there isn't a machine in Michael's, but I thought they did serve coffee drinks in Michael's even at night. That seems short-sighted that they'd give you alcohol for free, but not a cup of coffee (though I know you'd prefer a good cup of chocolate!).

Hi Gisele, they do have a coffee machine in Michael's Club , and they use it in the morning, but the reason I was told for not in the afternoon was, " The beans are taken away ". I have written an email almost a month ago to Captains Club, but received no answer , hence no explanation either .

I started a thread called " would you like a coffee in the afternoon in Elite Michael's club, and did from that find out you can get a soft drink , but as yet , no coffee.

I have not dared ask for a chocolate, its difficult enough getting one of those at dinner. On the last Equinox cruise I was asked to pay for my chocolate after my dinner , but after enquiries, it then came free. :D

, they do have a coffee machine in Michael's Club , and they use it in the morning, but the reason I was told for not in the afternoon was, " The beans are taken away ".I have not dared ask for a chocolate, its difficult enough getting one of those at dinner. On the last Equinox cruise I was asked to pay for my chocolate after my dinner ,

I am so sorry you had problems getting what you wanted. I had no problem getting almost anything I requested. I KNOW it's not my good looks and charming personality. :D I had drinks "off menu" in the Elite Lounge, and I had hot chocolate almost every night in the dining room. Wierd! :confused:

I am so sorry you had problems getting what you wanted. I had no problem getting almost anything I requested. I KNOW it's not my good looks and charming personality. :D I had drinks "off menu" in the Elite Lounge, and I had hot chocolate almost every night in the dining room. Wierd! :confused:

Hi , Texed. :)

It was no big deal Texed, and I certainly did not let it spoil my cruise for a minute.! Maybe I should have asked what I COULD have instead of alcohol, but on the other hand , no one, including the CC hostess who I asked " why no coffee ? " went out off their way to suggest an alternative.

The same thing happened to a lady I was chatting to in the cookery demonstration, she said she had asked for coffee , and been offered no alternative. To be fair, it was a tiny blimp in my excellent Celebrity experience , and it was a totally new experience for them also with Elite Michael's Club . Hopefully if all the coffee people keep asking, they will give us all " our Fix " lol.

A friend who is on board the Constellation Transatlantic is reporting serious teething problems with the program.

Over 200 elites and no room in Michael's. Change of venue.

Insufficient bar servers and food.

Consumption of free drinks way in excess of what was expected....

more to follow...

A friend who is on board the Constellation Transatlantic is reporting serious teething problems with the program.

more to follow...

Oh no, that's to bad. Sounds like some of the issues Royal has had in the past. Hope this snag is do to the TA cruise which usually attracts more seasoned cruises. Let's hope!!

Hi Everyone,

We just got off Century this past Sunday. Total of 22 Elites were onboard. The first night Michaels' was open for the Happy Hour, it was more than a "Private Function" as the sign in front stated. DH and I were the only ones there with 7 staff!! We were given a cheese sampler from the Murano's staff. By the last week of sailing, there were typically about 8-10 Elites with 2 or 3 staff members. Very nice atmosphere.

We were treated very well - let me repeat that- very, very well. Flowers to the room, behind the scenes tours to the Galley, Bridge, Engine Room, Backstage and dinner at the Captain's Table. The coupon booklet (love having the laundry done), elegant tea, wine blending, officers' cocktail party came thru.

Now I am wondering... On the larger ships there will be more Elites. Most likely that will translate to a small chance that everyone will be spoiled rotten. I like being spoiled rotten!!:D

more to follow...

Hi Xellent !

I suppose that's to be expected from time to time. Much of this will depend on how many Elite Members are on each sailing. I'm wondering how this will work in the Caribbean, as Celebrity usually has a very large number of Elite Members on those sailings.

As long as Celebrity has a back-up plan, and can implement it quickly.... hopefully, it will all work out. Please keep us posted.

We were on the connie on its previous cruise. According to the CC host there were 90 Elites on the ship. By the end of the cruise the lounge was busy, but there was always a place to sit and no problem being served.

I was told that there are 350 Elites on the trans-Atlantic. There is no way that 350 people can be accommodated in Michael's Club. I imagine that the lounge would be more heavily used than normal since there is much more time spent on the ship. I hope Celebrity figures out a way to make this benefit work on ships with many Elites.

What a shame. Michael's was such a lovely experience for us on Century a couple of months ago.

Rather than changing the venue in a situation such as this I would rather they think about splitting early and late seating folks so both groups are able to enjoy a cocktail immediately before moving on to dinner.

Sheila.

I'm sure Celebrity had to know this was a possibility. We've been on cruises where more than half the ship were Captain's Club members and a lot of Elites. Also the fact that the program is reciprocal with RCL - Celebrity had to know there were going to be times when the number of Elite guests would be very large. It's hard to imagine that they didn't have a plan worked out ahead of time.

more to follow...

I think the issue is not so much how many elites are on board, but what else is going on. On port intensive cruises, no-one is going to rush back to the ship for cocktails between 4-6 pm. However, on transatlantic crossings, or cruises with lots of sea days, people will likely drift to Michaels.

On our recent Med cruise, there were lots of elites, but we never made it to the "cocktail hour," neither did several other elites we know. However, the 8:00 pm Elite and Select members party was very well attended with over 200 persons.

Archived