Using Rum Runners for wine?

The box wine is a good idea, but I have a bottle that I was really hoping to bring onboard for sentimental reasons! This is our anniversary trip and it would be extra special to have this with us, but I was worried that the quality may be affected if I pour it into another container. Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

The box wine is a good idea, but I have a bottle that I was really hoping to bring onboard for sentimental reasons! This is our anniversary trip and it would be extra special to have this with us, but I was worried that the quality may be affected if I pour it into another container. Has anyone tried this? Thanks!

If you are only bringing one bottle, why use rum runners? Most cruise lines allow at least one bottle to be carried on board. Check with your cruise line policies.

Cheers,

Well, unfortunately we're cruising RCCL this time and I didn't know about their "no alcohol" policy until after we booked, so it isn't an option just to bring it onboard. We booked this last minute and I didn't research it like I do most of our vacations . . . too bad for me :(

And I know it's a "no-no" to repackage it, but I don't know that we have any other choice besides going without it and I'd rather not do that :p

Well, unfortunately we're cruising RCCL this time and I didn't know about their "no alcohol" policy until after we booked, so it isn't an option just to bring it onboard. We booked this last minute and I didn't research it like I do most of our vacations . . . too bad for me :(

And I know it's a "no-no" to repackage it, but I don't know that we have any other choice besides going without it and I'd rather not do that :p

You can order a bottle from the Gifts and Gear, it does cost a bit more but they will have it for you with glasses in your cabin. Or, at your table, they do give you a choice.

We smuggled a couple bottles on once, several years ago. We then decided it just wasn't worth the stress over getting caught and having it taken away. It's a stupid rule by RCI and one day I hope they rescind it, but that's a whole different thread.

I would say bubble-wrap it in your checked luggage. But from what I have heard, if they find it, they will confiscate it. :(

As long as it is in the original bottle, they will give it back to you at the end of the cruise if they confiscate it.

We have used Rum Runners with wine (red) with no problem. RR advertises that their flasks will go thru all dection systems. Fill the flasks per instructions. We put ours in an additional zip lock bag for extra protection, but unnecessary. When you get to your cabin put the RR in the frig. As you use from it, the RR will collapse similar to the bladder in the box of wine so it will not be air spoiled. We took wine on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise without problem.

Happy Anniversary!!

I have sailed both RCI and Carnival with a large bottle of wine in each checked bag. Great wine outlet in Pt Canaveral area. No problem at all, just remember the corkscrew. We plan to do it on Princess in 1/10 as well. Take your special wine with you end enjoy it!

• 3 months later...

Unlike hard liquor, wine has a limited shelf life. Oxygen will immediately begin affecting the fruit structure of a wine once it is opened. Much like an apple sitting on a counter after being cut and turning brown, a wine will oxidize in the same way, although at a slower pace as the alcohol in wine acts as a preservative but only for a limited amount of time.

I'm not concerned about the structural integrity of the flask, I'm concerned about the flavor of the wine. But thanks for your help, either way.

2 years ago we cruised Alaska on RCCL. I wrapped 2 bottles of wine in dish clothes and put each bottle into my UGG boots. They weren't detected and we enjoyed our nightly drink before dinner. We had decided to laugh it off if we were caught... it makes a good story either way. :)

I would bubble-wrap the special wine, put it inside a shoe in checked luggage, and then, purchase a cheap ($3 - $5) bottle of something (!) and put that in checked luggage (also bubble-wrapped) too. If you are "caught" then offer up the cheap stuff. I believe that the people who are after your wine do not know how many bottles you have.

Archived