Sensation to Bahamas - music?

beemergal

I haven't sailed to the Caribbean in many moons and it was on the Norway, but one of the things I loved was the live steel drum and Caribbean music played on deck. I am on the Sensation in November and would love to know if I can look forward to the same type of music. It really set the tone for the sailing. Gosh, I hope so! Can anyone confirm or deny?

I don't think it was a steel drum band, but there was almost always music around the pool/Lido on the Inspiration (also a Fantasy Class Ship). Sometimes it was a small band, sometimes, just piped in music. Not sure this helps you out, sorry. I know before our cruise in April someone asked a similar question, try doing a search for it, maybe? Good luck!

Music is super important to me. When we went on the Inspiration, they had an incredible reggae band onboard.

When we went on the Legend, I was hoping for the same or better (bigger ship, longer itinerary) but it wasn't reggae/calypso/steel drum at all and to be honest I was bummed.

I am going on the Sensation in October so I will let you know after.

Crossing my fingers for good music. Nothing like laying by the pool for hours with many pina coladas listening to calypso. Ahhh I can't wait!!

I sailed the Glory in January. There wasn't a steel drum band, but there was a good 2 member reggae band. I struck up a conversation with the singer. He said there used to be 4 guys, but due to the sluggish economy they had to drop to 2. It was all good though.

I honestly couldn't tell you either. The CD Stephanie said at somepoint - Debarkation talk? - that they had recently cut some of the music staff. The music during the Captains reception was terrible - reminded me of Lawrence Welk show. The music during the singles meet and greet was good but other people kept coming in (including families at 10:30 - i think it was late) to listen so it was not a singles meet.

• 1 month later...

Beemer, not sure if you are still around but I said I would reply when I was back.

Even tho I didn't like this cruising experience as much as others, the Sensation did in fact have a 2 piece Calypso band which was actually pretty darned good.

I liked them a lot.

There was also a younger black man, very hip-cat look... looked very much like Ben Harper if you know who that is. His sound was incredible. He played at the piano bar a few times and we LOVED him!

The Piano bar with all the hands, eh... didn't like that so much. We walked in and it was just THICK in smoke, and very off key. We turned right around.

There was also a very talented guitar player on board, we saw him every night where the photo op's were.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.. I am curious what your experience will be.

:)

We sailed the Sensation last October, whenever we hung out at the lido deck, they were so busy playing trivia games, or hairy chest contest, that I don't remember hearing any music, just noise. When we are on the Legend in Jan/Feb, I too hope for steel drum music, but that is more of an eastern caribbean sound. Heads up for music though...Ron Jon surf shop offers at least 10 steel drum albums(CD's) may be on line. However I bought them down in port Canaveral.

Archived