Does not having a cruise scheduled change your personality?

FantasyLineAddict

I'm asking because there are quite a few people here who will pick fights on threads just so they can say the opposite or cut someone down. I've also seen some follow particular posters around so they can dispute or make fun of whatever that person writes.

It's quality, not quantity in that post count rotfl2.gif

If I were a first time cruiser and read this board, I would think I was walking into a lion's den rather than boarding a beautiful ship for several days of fun.

What gives? I can only come up with bitterness over not getting to cruise soon. It makes no sense why someone who is angry about everything and irritated with people in general would spend so much time doing this.

wow, I havent noticed anyone following someone around?? Are you sure its not just coincidence? I got lots of cruises booked ... glad its not me.

Well firefly you might be helping to prove this theory, you are nice and helpful and you have lots of cruises booked lol

It's not a coincidence.

I'm asking because there are quite a few people here who will pick fights on threads just so they can say the opposite or cut someone down. I've also seen some follow particular posters around so they can dispute or make fun of whatever that person writes.

It's quality, not quantity in that post count rotfl2.gif

If I were a first time cruiser and read this board, I would think I was walking into a lion's den rather than boarding a beautiful ship for several days of fun.

What gives? I can only come up with bitterness over not getting to cruise soon. It makes no sense why someone who is angry about everything and irritated with people in general would spend so much time doing this.

Just personal opinion, of course, but there are some folks who seem to have dedicated themselves to trashing anyone who expresses support for Carnival.

Most often, these are loyal cruisers from a competitive cruise line.

Now, I know that there are Carnival loyals who do the same thing... go to another board to badger folks and stir the pot. That's unfortunate but it's the truth.

I doubt it's driven by no cruise being booked. If it weren't for the fact that I sail in twelve days I'd be in a funk despite having three cruises booked!!!

:)

I have been relatively quiet on the boards until the last couple of weeks, and I have 2 cruises in my near future.

I think part of it is, well for me, getting tired of those that contine to slam Carnival, or cruising, based on what they hear and not what they have seen themselves.

I agree that the boards are for the purpose of sharing information and opinions. Opinions are and can be of great value to those that are new to cruising or even to those that have cruised several times before. However, opinions of value are based on actual experience, first hand knowledge, not that which is culled from reading these boards.

I love hearing and reading reviews of those that have been on a cruise. Getting info from those that have been on a ship and have experienced what that ship is like in means of decor, staffing, though staffing can vary from cruise to cruise, and other things that are related to that ship.

What I do not like, is when posters give an opinion based on what they have read or heard, but they themself has not experienced.

Some one commented about working at a hotel and offering information concerning places to eat. Having worked at a large hotel myself, I understand that we are asked where we would recommend for a particular style of food and we have not been there that we still need to give an answer. My response has been, when I have been in that situation, that I have not eaten at such and such but have "heard" this or that.

I have only cruised on Carnival, so I only speak on Carnival, and only on the ships I have cruised on. I do not condemn other ships or cruiselines I have had no first hand knowledge of. I have friends and relatives that have cruised on other ships and cruiselines,. If, and that is a big if, I happen to speak of a ship they have been on, it is prefaced with the info that I myself have not been on that ship and have just "heard" from others.

I enjoy these boards and reading of others experiences and getting info, if I did not I would not be here.

I agree there are some that just want to start controversy.

FantasyLineAddict,

I think the factors for why they don't have a cruise booked are the reasons they are more angry or irritable. Has their income changed and now they can't afford to cruise? Has someone close to them became ill or unable to cruise with them? Has friends that used to cruise with them became distant or unable to cruise?

Sometimes I will look deeper when I read negative comments and find posts either on this forum or even on other unrelated forums by the same individuals that explains their statements. Sometimes they seem to just have cycles of bad days.

I leave most of the negative people on here alone. I make mental notes to shove some of them overboard if I ever sail with them. :D Some I choose to leave in their ignorant bliss; one in particular disagreed with statements I made concerning swine flu testing a month or so ago. I had a lengthy reply prepared even though several other members had substantially corrected them. After giving it some thought, I decided my words would just anger them even though my words were all based on fact and not criticism of their stance. Sometimes I envy ignorance, because it must be the ultimate bliss. :)

Well firefly you might be helping to prove this theory, you are nice and helpful and you have lots of cruises booked lol

It's not a coincidence.

Well, there have been a few that Iv stuck my toe in wrongly and had to say the policy changed, when I checked. Someone said their PVP said they have 24 hours to transfer to a TA after booking with a PVP and I thought and said no way, that doesnt make sense, and had to eat my words. ... if you book after final payment you can transfer to a TA within 24 hours ... so there actually is a 24 hour rule... but I try and apologize when Im wrong and admit it.

I think most folks have an "online personality". Some of those personalities are very defined. There are some posters that will always react to the same issues.. tipping.. jeans..chair hogs...and there are some posters who will react sarcastically to just about any post. Some posters are just helpful and some posters are just friendly. There are some posters who think they are part of a exclusive inner circle and others who are more "welcome wagon".

I don't think having a cruise booked or not booked changes that personality. You may be happier with one booked but I don't think not having one booked causes rudeness. I think it is that online personality. JMHO>

Great replies!

I have been pretty good at ignoring much of it but there are some people who really ask for that zinger of a reply back to them, but like Paul said, for me, it would be in anger so I'd just be giving them more fuel.

No one has been bothing me (well there's one who I wish could walk the plank, but she's in a category all by herself lol), its the newer people that get slammed that gets to me, and the really helpful people who you know are getting slammed out of jealousy.

Newbies ask legitimate questions and someone replies with something meant to cut and has nothing to do with the question or information. I hate that! Just venting - I love this board so I guess that's why it bothers me.

Well, there have been a few that Iv stuck my toe in wrongly and had to say the policy changed, when I checked. Someone said their PVP said they have 24 hours to transfer to a TA after booking with a PVP and I thought and said no way, that doesnt make sense, and had to eat my words. ... if you book after final payment you can transfer to a TA within 24 hours ... so there actually is a 24 hour rule... but I try and apologize when Im wrong and admit it.

You're trying to give info that helps someone - that's worth being wrong here and there and we all know that what works for one doesn't work for the other when it comes to Carnival, especially the gray areas. There was a time when it seemed like they were changing the rules daily, but as long as someone comes along with the most recent info, it's all good.

I think most folks have an "online personality". Some of those personalities are very defined. There are some posters that will always react to the same issues.. tipping.. jeans..chair hogs...and there are some posters who will react sarcastically to just about any post. Some posters are just helpful and some posters are just friendly. There are some posters who think they are part of a exclusive inner circle and others who are more "welcome wagon".

I don't think having a cruise booked or not booked changes that personality. You may be happier with one booked but I don't think not having one booked causes rudeness. I think it is that online personality. JMHO>

I agree!!! And a couple of sarcastic posters come to mind immediately, hahahah.

I try the majority of time to be helpful, sometimes jokingly. There are a couple on the boards that just seems to want to go overboard on their responses. And then there are the puppet masters. Post something flaming and then sit back and watch the fun.

I took it as a compliment when a lady told me a couple of days into a cruise that I am in person just the way I am on the boards. Some people are complete opposites when you meet them.

Dave

I try the majority of time to be helpful, sometimes jokingly. There are a couple on the boards that just seems to want to go overboard on their responses. And then there are the puppet masters. Post something flaming and then sit back and watch the fun.

I took it as a compliment when a lady told me a couple of days into a cruise that I am in person just the way I am on the boards. Some people are complete opposites when you meet them.

Dave

Yes you do and thank you for helping me several times even if it was something I read and didn't respond to.

In 1997 I made several friends on an eBay forum and we've remained friends all these years even though none of us still collect the same items. Some of us try to meet every few years to this day and lots of us still do group emails. Anywho (getting to my point), in a group of about 50, they were all the same people online and in email as they were in person. Some maybe more reserved in person, but nothing major.

Sometimes I wish listing future cruises was a requirement just so I'd know which to avoid (joking - or maybe not! lol)

Dave

And there are some who are like sharks in a feeding frenzy.

One poster bites and the others seem to smell the blood and swarm in to get their bite in too.

Early on I posted something that sent the sharks into action.

For more than five pages I was made fun of a ridiculed because I said that I would not want to eat fruit bought in some ports. I was called troll, someone said that I needed mental health drugs and it was suggested that I should never cruise because I was too unwilling to experience other cultures.

It was a sort of a baptism by fire.

And what it really amounted to was a pile on by wacko people.

Things on here have definitely improved, believe it or not.

The moderating by Host Mach has had a lot to do with the improvement.

There are still a few around who probably also like to kick dogs and burn ants with a magnifying glass.

Some people are just so empty inside that being hateful brings them joy.

FantasyLineAddict asked:

Does not having a cruise scheduled change your personality?

OMG, I pray I am never in that situation and never find out! :D

Me either! Actually, I don't have one booked now so if you see me being mean to people, please call me out. I do have a general idea of when I'd like to be on one though.

Also wanted to say I didn't mean sarcasm, jokes or humor - I mean jaded attacks that border on personal attacks that have nothing to do with the subject and even nothing to do with having a different belief or opinion - just outright being mean to someone purposely.

- just outright being mean to someone purposely.

Like this:confused:

What is the purpose of posting something like that? Do you think it is cute or cleaver? Are you attempting to make a joke? Maybe you are copying something you have seen others posting?

I think you need to sit back and eat your popcorn if that is what you want to do and just avoid threads you think are stupid and stop trying to drag other people into you rude infantile behavior.

Me either! Actually, I don't have one booked now so if you see me being mean to people, please call me out. I do have a general idea of when I'd like to be on one though.

Also wanted to say I didn't mean sarcasm, jokes or humor - I mean jaded attacks that border on personal attacks that have nothing to do with the subject and even nothing to do with having a different belief or opinion - just outright being mean to someone purposely.

I'd want to be called on it also. But I include sarcasm.. I think it is so mean especially when directed at newbies.

What thread is that from? I don't know what it's about.

Maybe like this (sorry can't resist):

Kurbanfan

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygirl79 viewpost.gif

Not enough money ;)

:confused: That sounds like something and "ugly American" would say........

We were giving examples of ugly Americans.......

The other quote was in response to: I will pop the popcorn;)

Archived