Bay of Fundy

dopanate

You want to be there shortly before low or high tide and spend time sitting there waiting for the flow of water to gradually reverse itself. We were there once and only for 15 minutes or so, so all it basically looked like was rapids. One thing though. Take a picture of the ship's gangway when you get off, then again when you get back on, and notice how much higher or lower the ship is against the pier. We re-boarded one deck lower than the one we left from as the tide was rising over the time we were off the ship.

Many people go to the Reversing Falls mid-tide and don't see anything special. People selling tours and people on your ship will tell you otherwise. Stand your opinon!

You want to be settled in a good spot before the change so you can see the reverse. The times of the tides change daily so what was a good time last month won't be this month. You can look it up online.

It's a few miles away by road. You can take a cab. We were on an excursion, and it was 8 years ago, so I can't remember where the best place to see it is. I wanna say we were on the east side of the river looking across at the paper mill, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure the cab driver would be helpful in this situation.

If it is a nice day you can walk to the falls along Harbour Passage. It will take about 45 minutes if you are docked at Pugsley and about 30 minutes if you are docked at Long Wharf.

The volunteers at the dock will point you in the right direction.

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=10&screen=373

I was there in June and we took a private excursion through Freedome Tours and our guides were Trinna and Sharon. They had the schedules so they knew when to get us where. The took us to the Bay of Fundy and we were the only ones able to get into the sea caves that day because the ships excursions do their tour in one direction and don't alternate. It was amazing how we were in the caves one minute and the guides said get out or you better be able to swim in this really cold water and by the time we got out the caves were covered up.

Archived