Shopping in New York City??

waiting2retire

I just love this board :D. I don't post here much because I have very little to add, but I love learning from the great fashionistas here and looking at the beautiful cruise fashions people seem to find at great bargains!

I am going to be in NYC next Monday and Tuesday before my ship sails on Wednesday, and I would really appreciate some tips on where to shop in Manhattan. In the past, I have found DSW at Union Square (shoes are my passion since they don't "shrink" like my clothes do :o) and Century 21 near Ground Zero.

Can anyone recommend other good discount/bargain stores or let me know if there are any good sales going on now that I should check out? I read on another site that Macy's will give an extra 11% discount to Canadians on presentation of a Canadian passport, so I will check that out.

Where do you ladies like to find your bargains in Manhattan??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I guess I should add that I am early 50s, in a plus size top/dress and work fulltime, although my wardrobe really needs more casual (country club casual?) clothes.

Bonnie

I really like Filene's Basement. There's a couple in Manhattan including one in Union Square. Filene's is probably a good choice since it's typically a pretty big store and carries a lot of brand names at discounted prices.

www.filenesbasement.com

Another store is K&G Fashions.. They also have brands at discounted prices. This store seems to be hit or miss. www.kgstores.com

The Macy's on 34th street is awesome! It's just so big and has the typical Macy's sales.

Hope this is helpful- I'm not a big NYC shopper since I live in NJ and we don't have any tax on clothes. :)

If you have a few minutes, here's a fun attraction in New York.

www.230-fifth.com It's a rooftop bar that looks straight out to the Empire State Building. No charge to go up to the top. Drinks are expensive, but worth it for the view.

Enjoy your trip!

I just love this board :D. I don't post here much because I have very little to add, but I love learning from the great fashionistas here and looking at the beautiful cruise fashions people seem to find at great bargains!

I am going to be in NYC next Monday and Tuesday before my ship sails on Wednesday, and I would really appreciate some tips on where to shop in Manhattan. In the past, I have found DSW at Union Square (shoes are my passion since they don't "shrink" like my clothes do :o) and Century 21 near Ground Zero.

Can anyone recommend other good discount/bargain stores or let me know if there are any good sales going on now that I should check out? I read on another site that Macy's will give an extra 11% discount to Canadians on presentation of a Canadian passport, so I will check that out.

Where do you ladies like to find your bargains in Manhattan??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I guess I should add that I am early 50s, in a plus size top/dress and work fulltime, although my wardrobe really needs more casual (country club casual?) clothes.

Bonnie

I really like Syms for brand names at discount prices in a wide range of sizes.

The one I've been to in the City is on Park Ave in the lower 50's (I think). They do have a web-site which you can use to find their location. Think it is http://www.syms.com

Jane

Daffy's can be fun if you're in the area. I don't know that I'd make a special trip for it -esp if you're already planning to go to C21. But there area few locations around Manhattan. On our lst trip to NYC, my husband spent hours in B&H (Cameras) was downtown at C21 - and everyone is happy:D

http://www.daffys.com/

If you are willing to travel about 45 minutes outside New York City

I would recommend Woodbury Commons Outlets. They have some great bargins. I just bought a pair of Fendi shoes for $99 and a pair of Pradas for $100 last weekend.

I know there is a bus that leaves New York City that goes to Woodbury. It so worth the trip.

Thanks so much for the great recommendations everyone! I thought I had heard that Filene's Basement had closed, but obviously I was mistaken... glad to hear it :D

If I had more time (maybe next trip) I would take the bus trip to Woodbury Commons Outlets, but my SIL has never been to NYC so we have to pack in some sightseeing and a Broadway show as well. Hate to miss out on deals like the ones you got!

Now all I have to do is get a map and figure out an orderly shopping spree so that we make sure we don't miss any bargains ;).

Bonnie

Before I retired I was in NY a few times a year and I loved shopping there. 7th Ave is the fashion capital of the country. I don't remember the name of the store, but there is (hopefully it is still there) at 2th and 7th Ave. Because many of the stores in the area are owned by Orthodox Jews, they are closed on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath but open on Sunday. Also, if you want to go to the Lower East Side there are some excellent stores with great prices. Fine and Klein is a great source of purses and Giselle on Orchard St has outstanding but expensive clothes.

Daffys is great but since your are going to Century 21 or is it 21st Century, that is even better.

If you like "knockoffs" go to Canal St for ersatz Coach, Chanel, Dooney and Bourke etc.

Have fun and stop shopping just before you drop!

Because many of the stores in the area are owned by Orthodox Jews, they are closed on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath but open on Sunday.

Yep - that's why we had to plan around B&H's schedule. All the camera & electronics stores my husband orders from have the Orthodox jewish schedules, and will close early on Friday afternoon (around 1 or so) but reopen Sunday. If you're only in town for a weekend, it makes it difficult to shop there! However - when you're doing mail order from home and can call on a Sunday afternoon, it's GREAT:D

Archived