Where to stay in Honolulu that isn't too expensive?

sdgary

The Ohana hotels are nice and reasonably priced ($96 on a weekend). I found that booking the Ohana Waikiki Islander was cheaper to book through expedia or other travel site, rather than booking from the Ohana website.

I have read mixed reviews about the Ocean Resort and I think if I were going I would check them out. Their website offers some very reasonable rates and its located in an area that we stayed in that I loved. Its at the park (east) end of Waikiki which is quieter and less congested and its not too far from the beach itself.

I have found that the best place to stay was the Waikiki Beachcomber. They have great rates. Senior discounts, bed and breakfast, stay and drive, just to name a few. Just across the street from the beach. Right next store to the shopping area, ( I think its called the international bazaar. ) Nice rooms.

:cool:

If you or your spouse are retired military, or if you're travelling with a family member who is on active duty, don't count out the Hale Koa. It's right next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and it costs about 1/4 of what a comparable hotel on Waikiki Beach would cost.

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked four rooms for the night before our cruise through Priceline. We got the Radisson Waikiki Prince Kuhio 3 star hotel for $68 per night per room. Couldn't find it online anywhere for less than $159 a night, so we're happy with it!

I just booked four rooms for the night before our cruise through Priceline. We got the Radisson Waikiki Prince Kuhio 3 star hotel for $68 per night per room. Couldn't find it online anywhere for less than $159 a night, so we're happy with it!

You should enjoy the Radisson. It's a nice hotel for the price and only a couple of blocks from the beach. We found it to be a very convenient location. You'll also find two tour desks in the lobby (Outrigger & Pleasant Hawaiian) as well as an NCLA representative on the second floor. Kitty-corner from the Radisson is the Marriot where NCLA has its desk. Make sure you take your documents and IDs over there with you and take advantage of the pre-checkin. We did it a couple of days in advance, but you can do it anytime before 10A on boarding day.

If you want some good shaved ice, head to the right (facing Waikiki Beach) two blocks. There's a great little cafe that serves shaved ice.

The Radisson offers some very good happy hour specials by the pool if that's something you're interested in!

Enjoy!

Lando: I don't know if you've been to Kailua before, but we loved it. We enjoy Waikiki/Honolulu for "busy" stuff, but prefer to stay where it's quieter and more relaxed in atmosphere. Kailua beach is by far one of my favorite swimming beaches of all time. It's just fantastic. I suppose it may be partly because it was my first Hawai'ian beach--tucking my toes into the fine white sand, warm water washing over them (our part of the Pacific never gets over 60 degrees F, no matter what anyone thinks). It was love at first swim. Anyway, we found the Kailua area wonderful and the people very welcoming.

Congratulations and have a wonderful time.

beachchick

As soon as you can, go to Kailua beach park (afternoon is lovely). It's good sized with great facilities and very popular with the locals. Take a refreshing beverage of your choice, walk down to the water, gaze out over the ocean, and then walk partway into the surf and let the water welcome you to the islands. If you are swimmers, I highly recommend it at least once a day. (The day we were leaving for Maui, DH had to drag me out of the water so we could get to the airport on time.) :D

beachchick

We are staying at the Ocean Resort for the second time. Their drive and stay package gets you a nice room with a rental car for around $90.00 per night. They are one block from the beach and most rooms have at least a partial ocean view. You pickup the car at the airport and return it when your done.

We are sailing from Honolulu in April and are going to need a hotel for one night that isn't too costly. Does anybody have any recommendations for a hotel that is nice?

Which sailing are you on? My DH and I are sailing on the April 9 cruise. It's my DH's first trip to Hawaii - my second cruise there.

Just do your research. A lot of the bargain 4-7 day trips with air are aimed at high school and college kids and can be pretty rough. My sister actually walked out on one she had in Honolulu, just too dirty and worn to be comfortable in for two single women. They found another at a nearby nice hotel for just a little bit more than the special they had booked months before.

Archived