QM2 Quads - Beds Together configuration?

6502programmer

We booked an inside (D5) quad for a RT from NYC in July. In researching the inside quads, it appears that the lower berths are only available in a twin / beds apart configuration, based on the pictures I've found. Is it possible to put the beds together in the D5 quads, or do we need to go to a higher category inside or an OV (C2/3/4) to do that? Thanks!

Mike

I think it would be difficult getting in or out of the upper beds, if the lower was in the "put together position". With 4 persons in the room, I think that in any cabin it will be "difficult" to move around, unless the lower bed is in the "singles" position.

I am sure if you think about you will realise that staying "as is " is the only possible thing, unless you go up into a suite.

I think our four year old would be happy to be lifted into bed, and our bed at home is in a corner, so I'm accustomed to acrobatics to get in (and I'm an almost impossibly sound sleeper). I just wanted to see if it was possible to get the lowers put together.

There's always the option of adjoining cabins, but then we'd lose out on the "kids sail free" promotion for the return leg of our RT, as it's only good on 3/4 fares.

From what I understand, the reason that the lowers must be single beds in a 3/4 pax situation is because of the way the upper bunks are made.

1) The ladders to access the upper bunks must be able to reach the floor, and if the lower beds are together, that's impossible -- the floor area beneath the upper bunks is filled with the lower bed.

2) It would be very tough to get into the lower bed, as the upper bunks would be then covering the floor area to the sides of the lower bed, basically reducing the ceiling height by half.

Basically, it's just not compatible with the layout of the inside cabins on QM2. I think the outsides are the same -- I've never seen one, but I understand they're the same layout with a window.

Without wanting to hijack this thread, what about if you only needed to use the room as a triple ie only using one pullman bunk. Could you put the lower two together then against the other wall and still have the ladder down?

Cheers

The thing that's missing (for me) in the pictures is the ladder placement. Can the ladder be used at the food of the beds, or does it need to be placed on the sides? From the picture, it appears possible to put a ladder at the foot of the beds, depending upon how the ladders work. Do they need to be used on the sides of the uppers, or can they be attached to the end?

The thing that's missing (for me) in the pictures is the ladder placement. Can the ladder be used at the food of the beds, or does it need to be placed on the sides? From the picture, it appears possible to put a ladder at the foot of the beds, depending upon how the ladders work. Do they need to be used on the sides of the uppers, or can they be attached to the end?

Looking at the situation whilst in bed this morning, the dressing unit may block the access on one side of the room for the ladder, whilst at the other side, there is a chair and small table. You would then have to remove these and perhaps put them in the small 'hallway' which would then be a hazard for a quick exit. I would imagine that there are health and safety reasons for whichever way the beds are configured.

Archived