? about a Carnival Capers entry

Luckysll

Just back from the Carnival Spirit to Alaska. There was an activity listed in the Capers program that had me a little baffled. It read:

Friends of Bill W/Jimmy K

Now, I know what "friends of Bill W" is, but what (or who) is Jimmy K and how does it connect with Bill W?

Just back from the Carnival Spirit to Alaska. There was an activity listed in the Capers program that had me a little baffled. It read:

Friends of Bill W/Jimmy K

Now, I know what "friends of Bill W" is, but what (or who) is Jimmy K and how does it connect with Bill W?

i had no idea, but i asked google... this was the first result...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Kinnon

James Patrick Kinnon (5 April 1911 - 9 July 1985, commonly known as Jimmy Kinnon or "Jimmy K.") was the founder of Narcotics Anonymous (NA), an international association of recovering addicts. During his lifetime, he was usually referred to as "Jimmy K." due to NA's principle of personal anonymity on the public level. He never referred to himself as the founder of NA, although the record clearly shows that he played a founding role.

never heard of NA either, but makes sense... ;)

• 1 year later...

Because of certain traditions, members are not allowed to list themselves as belonging to an anonymous group so using a different name such as "friends of..." allows us to advertise about meetings without breaking our anonymity. If you don't you are an addict, and you are asking yourself if you are one, chances are, you are. That's ok. We can help. Just know, you never have to use again.

Archived