Now We'e Off to Carnival

Ships R Great

I think you picked a good ship.

Spirit class of Carnival is the best class in term of design. (Pride, Spirit, Miracle, Legend) We were docked next to the Legend and pool areas looked so much nicer than the ones during our cruise on Liberty.

Enjoy your cruise...

That is nice to know because we booked a family reunion cruise on Carnival Legend and are looking forward to it. What is interesting is that the prices of their balcony cabins are very comparable to balcony cabins on Celebrity Solstice but their suites were quite a bit less. Since a few of us will be booking suites we decided to go with Legend.

They did swing open out, but noisy? I'm not sure what you mean by that. They don't slam shut if that's what you're saying.

Yup, I specifically asked about this on the Carnival board a while back, and quite a few people remarked that the door do have a tendency to slam, especially if particularly inconsiderate people are involved.

If you don't mind telling me, what particularly didn't you like on the Monarch? We're sailing the Mercury (our first time on X) next week and since both ships are the smallest and oldest in their respective fleets we're expecting the experience to be similar to what we've had previously on MOS.

If the food was your problem, well I agree RCCL is becoming pretty dreadful in that area. The new Celebrity menus are apparently in place and I'm a little "underwhelmed" by what I've seen of them, however I'm surprised to be reading on this thread that Carnival food is being regarded as "better" than Celebrity?

Any direct comparison you can make using the Monarch of the Seas as an example would be very helpful for us. Thanks in advance.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Monarch is a lovely ship and the crew, overall, very good. It was a culmination of little things that disappointed me, i.e.: not a single fresh plant on the ships (plants, flowers on tables---all plastic!), singers and dancers were not as polished as X, late entrees every single night (we were almost the last to leave DR every night), buffet choices not as good, no pasta bar, small, very small cabins, waiter placed a used salad knife on table for re-use with main course (yuk), not as many daily activities as X, yada-yada-yada. Would I book RCL again? Most probably not. But then, I have booked a Carnival cruise.

As to Mercury---I am booked on her for a B2B and looking forward to it. We have sailed her before. She is not as glitzy as newer ships but we don't look for that. What we want is a "grand old dame", with great service. I know we will get that with Mercury.

Our Friends that we cruise with alot, Just sailed the Triumph,,,and hated they prefer RCCL and X way more. It varies ship by ship!

We have been on the Triumph twice. It is what is it Carnival. However their food has greatly improved. If you are a big group of friends or family is it good. Just becareful where you sail from. RCCL sucked for us. The Explorer of the seas was way too big and at times I felt like they were hearding cattle. The service was teribble, no wine someliers and the food well Carnival was better.

Celebrity is by far our favorite but sometimes for a fun getaway Carnival is well priced.

Well, we booked a Balcony Guarantee. First got assigned to an obstructed view on deck 5 and then yesterday we were moved to cabin on deck 8 (with a little help from our TA). As you know we can't talk directly to them if we used a TA. He came through for us. Of course, we have been booking with him for 5 years. Anyway, a 5 level upgrade from our first assignment so I am happy about that. We'll see what happens once we are on board. We are expecting a great cruise and 99% of the time that has worked for us.

Whenever I see "you get what you pay for" I realize that different things are important to different people.

Our suite on Carnival Legend will cost more than a balcony cabin on Solstice but less than a suite on Solstice. However, we decided to pay more for a suite on Carnival Legend than settle for a balcony cabin on Solstice even though it would have cost less.

We have sailed on RCCL, Princess and Carnival and are trying X for the first time this December. We have enjoyed all of them for different reasons, but the price on Carnival cannot be beat, especially for the Caribbean sailings during the summer.

You must try the Chocolate Melting Cake on Carnival. It is to die for!! (the food on Carnival is quite good- gained 7 pounds in July!)

Enjoy!

If you don't mind telling me, what particularly didn't you like on the Monarch? We're sailing the Mercury (our first time on X) next week and since both ships are the smallest and oldest in their respective fleets we're expecting the experience to be similar to what we've had previously on MOS.

If the food was your problem, well I agree RCCL is becoming pretty dreadful in that area. The new Celebrity menus are apparently in place and I'm a little "underwhelmed" by what I've seen of them, however I'm surprised to be reading on this thread that Carnival food is being regarded as "better" than Celebrity?

Any direct comparison you can make using the Monarch of the Seas as an example would be very helpful for us. Thanks in advance.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Hi Annette,:) I just returned home from Mercury yesterday

and the food topic is always subjective.

The food (in my opinion) was wonderful:D...new menus

in place and lots of choices:)...fantastic wait staff too:)

I wish I was back on board the ship:(

Hope you have a good time:)

I have sailed The Pride and X....

The main differences are X is much more sedate. Not so many poolside games, and of course one of the reasons I love X... no overhead announcements constantly. I thought the food on Carnival was ok. My only other observance was there are a lot more people on a CCL ship than an X ship.

Good news about the Pride it does have stablizers so in rough weather it does well. (although we have hit rough sailings on both lines)

Enjoy your trip... and if you get a chance try Michaels the pay restaurant.

Nope. I meant to tell all of my fellow X-cruisers that I am trying yet another cruise line. RCL did not deliver. Now we will find out about Carnival. Great price/balcony for the Cheasapeake sail. Will I regret it? We'll see.

I dont think you will regret it we are also loyal Celebrity cruisers and felt the same never on Carnival but we were wrong we were on the Pride out of Baltimore this summer and enjoyed the cruise. In my opinion all lines are cutting back I have noticed this on Celebrity not the same as when we first started cruising on them but we still will cruise because we love it in fact we will be on the Mercury out of Baltimore 11/9/09

I believe the pay restaurant on the Pride is called David's, actually. You gotta try it, it's wonderful! $30 per person. The most elaborate desserts I have ever seen.

You are right it is David's Supper Club we did it one night it was terrific the filet mignon melted in my mouth.

I have sailed The Pride and X....

The main differences are X is much more sedate. Not so many poolside games, and of course one of the reasons I love X... no overhead announcements constantly. I thought the food on Carnival was ok. My only other observance was there are a lot more people on a CCL ship than an X ship.

Good news about the Pride it does have stablizers so in rough weather it does well. (although we have hit rough sailings on both lines)

Enjoy your trip... and if you get a chance try Michaels the pay restaurant.

Can you tell me---our cabin is on the starboard side. will we see Annaoplis? Is that a good side for viewing, etc?

Maybe I'll surprise my DH with an evening at David's.

Archived