Need Advice

TeacherJenn

My husband and I are taking our 2 1/2 son on NCL during the holidays to the Mexican Riviera. I am starting to stress out about taking him to Mexico. How safe is it? What are the better excursions for 2 year olds in Cabo, Matzatlan, and PV? I am contemplating staying on the ship in Maztalan because things don't seem kid friendly. Any advice would be appreciated. A

I haven't been to Mazatlan for a long time, and when we did the MR on the Star, it was an 8 day that didn't stop there. From what I remember, though, the beach is really nice there, and if Joe's Oyster Bar is still around, they'll have popular music playing. Unfortunately it's been so long since I was there, that's about all I can tell you.

I can tell you a bit about the Star though... assuming that's the NCL ship you'll be on... It's a WONDERFUL ship!! It's been our favourite so far, including the Kid's Crew. Of course, that was almost two years ago now, so the 'crew' of the Kid's Crew will have changed, but hopefully the activities will be similar. All the kids your son's age had a blast, and they even had fun at the kid's talent show (something we only saw on the Star). Even if you do decide to stay on board, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful stop because it's such a great ship. :)

If you do a search of these boards and on the ports of call boards for those ports, you'll see what others have done in Mexico. My toddlers have been there five times already because it's such an easy place for us to go and so kid friendly.

Puerto Vallarta - We walk to the Krystal Resort

Cabo - You can do a short cruise along coast (and see seals); water taxi or regular taxi (depending on whether you're bringing a car seat) to a beach; the ships beach excursion in Cabo we took was on a bus, so we didn't need a car seat, but there weren't really any facilities, so I wasn't thrilled with that option

Mazatlan - the ship excursions to the resorts usually use taxis, which means lugging the car seat around with you. You can hire a local (we were going to use Mazatlan Frank) so you can keep the car seat in the car; or you something lots of people really enjoy - walk to the ferries and take one to Stone Island; have lunch and enjoy the beach.

Of course, we never mind an extra day on the ship, so that always works as well!

Best,

Mia

The cruise ports are as safe as anyplace...just don't go "roaming" on your own, into the "outback" of that country!

These countries count on tourism dollars to survive--they will keep the tourists as safe as possible...it's to their financial advantage.

There's probably more crime in your town than in any of your ports.

If you're so worried, don't do this vacation...you'll be too stressed to enjoy it.

Both you and your child will be fine.

We've had a lot of success using Tripadvisor for (biased) reviews and suggestions.

You have to read between the lines a bit, but there are definitely trends regarding the great, the good, and the bad.

Looks like Stone Island is a good stop... and King David Tours is a recurring tour company that Tripadvisor people have used.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150792-d152282-Reviews-Stone_Island_Isla_de_las_Piedras-Mazatlan_Pacific_Coast.html

and a tripadvisor Family Travel article for Mazatlan.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150792-s401/Mazatlan:Mexico:Family.Travel.html

Archived