Can a younger kid get into the older kids clubs?

On Vacation Forever

You should ask this on the Family Cruises section of the Special Interest Cruising forum. However, the answer will be no. Apparently, if the child is not too much over the age, they will allow them to move down an age group, but not up, especially when he is more than a year younger than the age group perameters. EM

I'm sure they 12-14 year olds don't want to hang around with a little kid.

My thoughts exactly!! Your son doesn't want to hang with the "diaper crowd" (not sure how many 10 year olds wear diapers???) but you expect other kids to be ok with it? (aka someone 2 years their junior in "their" club)

Not trying to be ugly but I feel like everyone is trying to rush kids into growing up these days...sorry, one of my pet peeves :)

When I was on the Pride 3 months ago, my granddaughter was 1 month short of 12 years old, and I asked Camp Carnival whether she could join the older group with my permission. She was not allowed to do so. I was told that they prefer to keep all age rules in force. Sorry. But she did have a good time with her group anyway. Hope that helps.

Our 10 year old doesn't want to club it with the diaper bunch and want to hang with the 12 to 14 years olds in their club instead.

Can this be arranged??

It'll be a deal maker or breaker for our next Carnival Cruise.

Thanks

Diaper bunch, how many 10 year olds are in diapers?

And what makes you think the 12 - 14 year olds want to hang around a 10 year old? Since when does a child demand just where/when the parents go on vacation?

They have rules for a reason....

Trust me you will be happy that he is in the 9-11 group. There is much more to do - they have more fun than the older kids. The older kids would not want a little 10 year old hanging around anyway. (at this age it's hard to tell a 12 year old from a 16 year old and I can't imagine you want your sweet 10 year old with those rowdy kids - mine is one so I can say that) :D

Follow this link and then you will see an example of Capers for the 9-11 activities. They are a lot of fun. They do scavenger hunts, Wii, etc. Those almost 9 are the ones that get stuck - the 6-8 group wouldn't be fun for someone almost 9.

(on our NCL cruise my son was 12 and because there weren't many kids they only did 6-12 group that cruise - he made the most of it and won all the games - I didn't realize how few kids until I went to the Talent Show)

http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/Camp%20Carnival.html

Our 10 year old doesn't want to club it with the diaper bunch and want to hang with the 12 to 14 years olds in their club instead.

Can this be arranged??

Thanks

No. They keep the kids separate by age for a reason. Most parents wouldn't want their 10 year old hanging out with 14 year olds.

He won't be hanging out with "the diaper set" anyway. He will be in the group 9-11 year olds which will have age-appropriate activities...and, he'll have a great time, too....encourage him to go the first night to sign up and meet some of the kids his age.

It floors me that someone is slammed so hard over a simple question.... what is happening to cruise critic? Perhaps the guidelines need to be reread or perhaps people should follow the Thumper family rule... If you can't say something nice.. don't say it at all!

with that said...

My daughter will be 11 our next cruise and just 3 1/2 weeks shy of turning 12, she too has concerns about her group, being she will be one of the oldest.. (this not concerning us as we know she ALWAYS finds meets someone "cool")

If by the slightest chance.. there isn't anyone that she can relate and hang with in her group, she'll just spend more time with Us. :D after all... it is a "family" vacation.

Don't let it be a deal breaker for your family cruise... He WILL find fun things to do with his 9-11 age group, and keep in mind that the 9-11 group doesn't hang out in the same room as the "diaper kids" ;)

~S

I asked on a Carnival cruise a few years ago if my two kids, they are 1 yr. a part in age, could go to the same group. The younger child wanted to go with her older brother. They are really more like twins. The youth director said no. It could vary from ship to ship, but I guess rules are there for a reason.

I agree with the other posters. Consider yourself lucky that your child falls in the middle of an age group.

It's those who are young and "almost" in the next group that might really feel out of place.

My son will be almost 6, but still technically 5.

There is a world of difference between a 2 year old and a 5 year old. It would be great if he could be with our 8 year old, but I understand that the age guidelines are what they are.

Your 10 year old makes your family's vacation decisions? :eek:

Yes, in fact, we do things as a family. Straight A student, outstanding kid.

My thoughts exactly!! Your son doesn't want to hang with the "diaper crowd" (not sure how many 10 year olds wear diapers???) but you expect other kids to be ok with it? (aka someone 2 years their junior in "their" club)

Not trying to be ugly but I feel like everyone is trying to rush kids into growing up these days...sorry, one of my pet peeves :)

It's a vacation for us all,, I love my kids and listen and take their feelings and past experiences into family decisions.

Diaper bunch, how many 10 year olds are in diapers?

And what makes you think the 12 - 14 year olds want to hang around a 10 year old? Since when does a child demand just where/when the parents go on vacation?

They have rules for a reason....

He's been advanced to a 6th grade class at school.

All the kids (27 of them) sent classroom letters this week telling him how glad they are he's been moved up, he's always fun to be with and play with.

I'll be more than happy to scan the letters and send them to you if you PM me with an address.

Read it and weep fleshy headed genius's:

And sorry to the rest of you expert child and family psychologists, but read the Elations Rules and regs.

It clearly states he'll be dumped in,, again as in our past experiences,, with the stinky diaper bunch:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_elation/default.aspx?shipCode=EL

Disney Cruises is streets ahead of this issue and has a club for 8 to 12 year olds.

Carnival does not.

It floors me that someone is slammed so hard over a simple question.... what is happening to cruise critic? Perhaps the guidelines need to be reread or perhaps people should follow the Thumper family rule... If you can't say something nice.. don't say it at all!

I agree, this board can become so nasty! I just don't get it.

with that said...

My daughter will be 11 our next cruise and just 3 1/2 weeks shy of turning 12, she too has concerns about her group, being she will be one of the oldest.. (this not concerning us as we know she ALWAYS finds meets someone "cool")

If by the slightest chance.. there isn't anyone that she can relate and hang with in her group, she'll just spend more time with Us. :D after all... it is a "family" vacation.

Don't let it be a deal breaker for your family cruise... He WILL find fun things to do with his 9-11 age group, and keep in mind that the 9-11 group doesn't hang out in the same room as the "diaper kids" ;)

~S

I agree, this board can become so nasty! I just don't get it.

Well said and thank you to you both. 17633thumbsUp.gif

When you read about people acting like the ugly american on vacation, refer back to this thread.

At the age of 10, he will be in the 9-11.

There are exceptions to the rule when a child is close (like within a month or so to the next age group.

But since that is not the case in his situation, he will not be moved up.

Having had a son that was gifted and very mature for his age, I understand. (He is now 21 and Chemical Engineer major.)

But he stayed in the appointed age groups for Carnival (he has cruised since he was in Elementary school) and enjoyed every age group. I hope your son does as well.

Can this be arranged??

Thanks

In a word "no"

and remember that in the 12/14 they can come and go as they please. Do you really want your 10yo running around the ship at will? or running around with kids who are significantly older. (and lets face it, no matter how 'mature' *your* 10 year old is :rolleyes:...(lets be honest) there *is* a big difference between 10 and 14 (which can be up to *almost 15yo)

Your 10yo would not be with the totterlers or preschoolers. He/She will be in with kids in his age group. ~Just like at school~

Yes, in fact, we do things as a family. Straight A student, outstanding kid. It's a vacation for us all,, I love my kids and listen and take their feelings and past experiences into family decisions.

My children were too....G&T program, graduated #12 out of 700 kids, etc...Still *I* am the parent and made the final decisions...and with them being 20&21--> guess what?-- I *still* do.

He's been advanced to a 6th grade class at school.

All the kids (27 of them) sent classroom letters this week telling him how glad they are he's been moved up, he's always fun to be with and play with.

(warning Catty comment to follow)

~How will those 27 students get thru class without him?~

(sorry, could not help myself--I tryed, I really did)

Read it and weep fleshy headed genius's:

And sorry to the rest of you expert child and family psychologists, but read the Elations Rules and regs.

It clearly states he'll be dumped in,, again as in our past experiences,, with the stinky diaper bunch:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_elation/default.aspx?shipCode=EL

Wow, how hateful to call the 'babies' "stinky diaper bunch" - remember you are talking about someones elses child-

And, the link you provided simply outlines the different 'kids clubs' that Carnival offers, as the very well informed posters have stated repeatedly, they break up the 2-11 kids into age appropreate groups. Your little daring will be in with the 9/11yos.

(oh Sorry, I mean if he deems it ok for you to take this cruise, and if he will allow himself to be put in with the approprate group he will be in with the other 9/11yos)

(~I know, I know~)

Archived