Do I REALLY need insurance???

CMOTO

Thanks for the info.

So if you get the insurance and you cancel for any reason, do you get money back or is it a travel coupon that you have to use in some date range?

We always drive and don't fly so is that the delay/interuption you were talking about? Or do you mean if you get stuck on a docked island??

I wouldn't say we are trying to tempt fate, but we are young and no health problems and I guess my thing with travel ins. or any ins. for that matter is you pay these big bucks and then if you don't use them you just paid for nothing, I have a hard time with giving my money away. I know if we used it, it is worth its weight in gold. I guess we just try to be careful.

Do you have to jump thru hoops to get your money back if you do cancel, or is it pretty easy?

Things can still go wrong if you are young and healthy. Appedicitis tends to strike the young and would require an airlift from the ship or for you to debark in a foreign port to seek medical care. Taxis in port get in accidents, you could slip on excursion and break a bone - anything could happen. It could also help you with travel delays or if you were to miss the ship in port. Another coverage would be if you had to cancel due to immediate family becoming ill or, heaven forbid, a family member passing away.

We are mid-thirties and healthy, too but have always gotten the insurance. I've only used it once and it was a small thing, but we had flight delays and thought we were going to miss the ship the next day. At that point we were looking at having to fly to Cozumel to meet the ship and I was very glad we had insurance and passports!

We were on the Conquest last year when Ike hit. We were lucky in that my oldest DS was able to get our van and drive it home. We ended up in New Orleans and those with Carnival insurance did not get reimbursed for airfare or expenses trying to get back home. We had Travelguard and they paid for the bus to the airport, airfare, food at the airport and the cab home from the airport without any trouble. We downloaded the claim form and sent in copies of our receipts and got a check in less than 2 weeks. We will never travel again without insurance- cause we saved over 500 dollars that time.

We have always purchased the insurance, but never really thought we needed to until we had to have our son's head stitched up when he crashed into the pullman bed. The medical is so expensive on a ship and we ended up paying only $25 of the $1,200 bill. I also like the fact that if we had to cancel we wouldn't loss our money. You never know...

this will be my first cruise without insurance. I have some health issues and need to buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. I booked my cruise and planned to get insurance. Some family emergency and than a work emergency that had be out of town and for some insane reason I thought I had deposited a week later than the actual date.

I figured that I could eat the cost of the trip if I had to cancel for some other reason and I'm just praying that I have no health issues on this trip. All other cruises I had insurance and never used it. Hoping I have the same luck this time.

Generally most people will purchase the insurance if they do not want to worry about the loss of the cost of the cruise OR medical evac expenses.

Just be very careful and read all the fine print.

All policies are not created equal.

No one has to purchase travel insurance and many don't choose to. Purchasing any (travel, car, home, health) insurance is a gamble as to if you are going to use it or not. Driving to port vs flying lowers the risk for needing insurance. Purchasing your cruise close to sailing also lowers the risk for needing to cancel before cruising but doesn't eliminate it.

We find a major difference between needing insurance for a land vacation vs a cruise vacation. Most often our land vacations can be cancelled up to 24 hrs before arrival without paying any penalty. Not the case with cruise vacations. If a full refund of any prepayment isn't given often land vacation arrangements can still be transfered to another date with a good reason for cancelling which again is not so with cruise cost.

Loosing the cost of a cruise certainly wouldn't leave us penniless but it would be upsetting to have spent all that money and not to have gotten to enjoy our vacation and we wouldn't be able to go on another vacation until the same time that we would have been able to go IF we had enjoyed our vacation as there is only so much vacation money we can use each year. We have to fly to our ports and home again so we do take into consideration the chances of having airline problems and how that could effect our vacation plans. We'd find the money somewhere if we needed to but if we needed to cut our cruise short to fly home for an emergency its good know that the insurance would cover that cost which can be costly when needing to book last minute flights from foreign ports.

I had elderly parents which both lived in a nursing home but I was in charge of their care. Both with pre-exisiting medical conditions. In the weeks before our last cruise my mother's health deteriorated and we knew that it was only a matter of a short time that she would still be here with us. There was no way I would be able to leave on cruise with her at deaths door. If I'd not purchased insurance to cover pre-exisiting conditions I still would not have spent time worrying about loosing the cost of our cruise as my parents were more important than a cruise BUT not having to think about loosing all that money without getting to enjoy our long planned vacation and having to wait another year for our next cruise is not something I would have wanted to do either. Mom died exactly two weeks before our cruise and we did get to go enjoy the cruise but only a few days difference would have meant no cruise. Dad turns 98 on Monday. It is certainly possible we could face the same problem before our next cruise this coming Feb.

Our health insurance plan does cover medical care out of country with its out of network option. There are much high co-payments with the out of network option. It does not cover medical evacuation which is costly if needed. No one ever thinks they will become ill or need to be evacuated. I'm a healthy person and not ancient yet:eek::D and I never thought I'd slip and fall at home a few years ago and break my leg needing major surgery and four days in the hopital either. Could have just as easily have happened while on a cruise.

Things one never expect happen every day and certainly can happen while on a cruise. Age does not determine who is going to be struck by the unexpected. ;)

If I can afford a $4000 cruise I can certainly afford a $200 insurance policy. Do I need the insurance? Not until the unexpected happens shortly before or on a cruise but if it does that $200 was a very small price to have paid to return $4000 to me and maybe much much more if I should fall and need to be evacated off that ship for emergency surgery or any other reason. A visit to the ships doctor for something relatively simple can easily add up to much more than the cost of the insurance. Especially important for someone who's own health insurance will not cover them out of country. Mine would cover minus the copayment which would be picked up by the travel insurance as a secondary insurance if that is what I purchased.

So do you need to purchase travelers insurance? Only you can decide how much you are willing to gamble.;)

We missed our ship in St. Thomas due to huge overcrowding and traffic mishaps coming back from Coki Beach.

When I booked the cruise, they offered me silver, gold or platinum insurance for about $10.00 difference between each. I said - give me the platinum - you just never know.

Well, as luck would have it, had I chose gold, our flight to back to Miami, hotel, missed portion of the cruise, etc. etc. would not have been covered to the tune of about $3,000.00. They considered it a trip interruption, and covered all costs without hesitation.

So, we are also young, but you NEVER know what can happen. Despite our best efforts, sometimes things go wrong. It's a hard nut to swallow to justify the cost, but if you ever have a claim, you will never think twice again. IMHO.

I have been looking on insuremytrip.com as some people have suggested. I was wondering if people had any recommendations of specific companies they've used. I know its very dependent on what you're looking for. My care is more emergency medical and medical evacuation on the trip moreso than anything else. But just more looking for a company I can trust so especially if people have had to actually use their insurance(for any purpose)and had good service or just if people have used a certain company for a long period would be helpful to get some suggestions since there are so many out there.

Thanks in advance!

I used this site too. What I found helpful was calling a potential company and asking "what if" questions. The representative helped me understand the difference between two different product names -- such as Select vs. Ultra with $12 difference between them. Only one of these covered cancellation if someone traveling came down with Swine Flu and also had higher coverage levels for a few items. Another item I looked for was a policy that had Primary medical coverage rather than one that would be secondary to my home policy.

Having insurance IMHO is worth its weight in gold. Why travel and then have your vacation screwed up because you got appendicitis, or broke an ankle of\r a leg. I've been on cruises where it did happen to someone. People even die on cruises as well, and without the insurance you are screwed unless you are independently wealthy. If you can afford a cruise, you can afford the insurance. JMHO.

Each person is in a different situation, so only you can answer that question. Some things to ask yourself:

Could you afford a 6-digit bill for a helicopter evacuation if you were injured?

Can you afford the loss of the money for the cruise?

Buy the out of country medical insurnace and READ your policy. It amazes me that so many people will research the purchase of a Flat panel TV for weeks but just buy the first policy offered without understanding what they are buying. Pay attention to the exclusions!

CMOTO,

I have never purchased travel insurance. Our medical insurance will cover all expenses including evacuation / transportation home. If our medical insurance did not cover us, I would purchase a travel medical plan.

If we have to cancel a cruise, our airfare is non refundable and we'll only receive whatever percentage is refundable by the cruiseline. Over the years I am sure I have saved the cost of a cruise by not purchasing travel insurance.

We booked our next two cruises for next month about one month ago. We normally book two years in advance.

Just found out through my company life insurance policy they provide trip insurance at no cost. It basically covers everything except cancel for any reason.

As most on this thread are, I'm a fan of the trip insurance.

BUT that being said . . . .

Check your own medical insurance policy first, many people buy the insurance for the med evac. portion and your own medical insurance could cover this . . . . mine does. I'm fortunate to work for a company that has execellent medical coverage with this included.

We have gotten it for all of our cruises. We haven't had to use it yet and hope I continue to waste the money. If we ever use it even once it will more than pay for itself. Think of all the different things that could happen, and then think could you afford to pay for it out of your pocket. When it comes down to it it is simply something you have to decide.

Trust me...it's worth it! A few years ago my DD was in a horrible car accident a couple of weeks before our cruise. DW wife and I were told she had a 50/50 chance of living. She was in a comma for 7 days and took months for her to recover. Thank God she healed and sense married and DW and I have a wonderful GS! We did not have insurance! This is why I love Carnival....they really worked with us! They allowed us to switch the cruise until the next year but we had to buy the insurance. In other words, Carnival allowed us to buy insurance AFTER the fact. This was about 10 years ago that this occured so not sure if they would do this now. In the 7 cruises we have taken sense....you better believe we buy insurance! :p

this will be my first cruise without insurance. I have some health issues and need to buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. I booked my cruise and planned to get insurance. Some family emergency and than a work emergency that had be out of town and for some insane reason I thought I had deposited a week later than the actual date.

I figured that I could eat the cost of the trip if I had to cancel for some other reason and I'm just praying that I have no health issues on this trip. All other cruises I had insurance and never used it. Hoping I have the same luck this time.

Ill say my prayers that everything goes well for you, just dont worry about it now or you will get yourself sick over it. Next time, make sure you get your insurance imediately.

Trust me...it's worth it! A few years ago my DD was in a horrible car accident a couple of weeks before our cruise. DW wife and I were told she had a 50/50 chance of living. She was in a comma for 7 days and took months for her to recover. Thank God she healed and sense married and DW and I have a wonderful GS! We did not have insurance! This is why I love Carnival....they really worked with us! They allowed us to switch the cruise until the next year but we had to buy the insurance. In other words, Carnival allowed us to buy insurance AFTER the fact. This was about 10 years ago that this occured so not sure if they would do this now. In the 7 cruises we have taken sense....you better believe we buy insurance! :p

That is the kind of stuff people do not think about. I was in a crash going to the port. I was still able to make the cruise, but the car was totaled so there is always that chance you will not even make it to port.

I am not young, but I am healthy. I cut my foot very badly at the beach on a broken bottle. It could have been a lot worse.

I was at the beach and a child was stung by something that caused a reaction which resulted in an ambulance ride to the hospital. They made it back on the ship, but what if it had happened just before they were to be back on the ship?

I saw a lady fall after one of those big lizards stuck his head up at her as she walked by on a sidewalk in Cancun. She suffered a compound fx meaning the bone was sticking out of the skin. It was an ambulance for her too. I do not know if she made it back to the boat or really if she was from a boat, but we were staying at the resort and we had never seen her before.

I get the insurance. Would not cruise without it.

We did have to use it a couple of years back.

I have back trouble and I hurt my back in December and the doctor said I would be fine for my cruise in April:rolleyes: it just got worse and I was out of work February and March and went back to work part-time (and on some pain meds) two weeks before I was to cruise.

There was no way I could have cruised. I was glad my DH insisted that we cancel and re-book. I got all but 32 cents back:D

Thanks for the info.

So if you get the insurance and you cancel for any reason, do you get money back or is it a travel coupon that you have to use in some date range?

We always drive and don't fly so is that the delay/interuption you were talking about? Or do you mean if you get stuck on a docked island??

I wouldn't say we are trying to tempt fate, but we are young and no health problems and I guess my thing with travel ins. or any ins. for that matter is you pay these big bucks and then if you don't use them you just paid for nothing, I have a hard time with giving my money away. I know if we used it, it is worth its weight in gold. I guess we just try to be careful.

Do you have to jump thru hoops to get your money back if you do cancel, or is it pretty easy?

It ISN'T big bucks, at least we don't think it is compared to an emergency expense.

If you don't use your car insurance or homeowners insurance, at the end of the year, do you feel like you just "gave your money away"?

It really dodsn't matter what your age is or how careful you are, accidents DO happen.

It ISN'T big bucks, at least we don't think it is compared to an emergency expense.

If you don't use your car insurance or homeowners insurance, at the end of the year, do you feel like you just "gave your money away"?

It really dodsn't matter what your age is or how careful you are, accidents DO happen.

This difference is for me in that i couldn't afford to easily replace my house and it is a requirement of our mortgage anyhow. And I live in a state that requires car insurance. Since we pay cash for cars we usually only do a year or 2 of the comprehensive and then we drop down to liability. Because if we paid comprehensive for the 10-15 years we drive a car, yes we would effectively be buying a second car :)

Same with trip insurance. If we only did it once or twice a year or we couldn't afford these things we would do it. But for us the amount we would spend over our lifetime of trip insurance wouldn't cover the 1 or 2 times we would use it short of medi-vac (which is covered under our medical insurance, even out of the country)

But if it would bankrupt us? Why yes, yes we would get it. or if we only could afford one big trip a year? Yes we would because it would be worth it to us.

I think trip insurance is excellent, but it isn't exactly a fair comparison with homeowners or car insurance.

I was just looking over our travel insurance policy. We got it through C_____O, and it was a total of $62.00 for the two of us. Because I upgraded to an Executive membership, our travel insurance policy benefits doubled. $100,000 for sickness, accident, or our remains delivered back to the states.. Total reimbursement for trip cancellation, trip interruption, $2,000 for trip delay, $2,000 for missed connection, and $1,000 for itinerary change. To me $62.00 in exchange for the above is peanuts and it sets our minds free. We have had to use the infirmary one time for DH, and we didn't have the insurance. While it wasn't anything catastrophic, we paid for it out of pocket and it was $90.00 plus money for the antibiotic. We no longer play chicken with the travel insurance after that experience.

I would get it. I have had two instances where my flight was delayed. The first time I missed the cruise because there were no outgoing flights that day due to the weather. Since I had insurance I got 500.00 back from the insurance company and Carnival gave me another trip. The second time I made it to the boat on time but just barely. You just never know what may come up.

Archived