Why is a 2 night cruise to nowhere

kathyemma

Toni,

on a thread a few days ago our friend admitted to being a TA for 32 years. I knew it! Of course I knew it because she had posted it many times and then claimed she was never in the business! Just goes to show what people will say when anonymous!!:D Not you or I of course!:)

She did?? She said she was and then was not??

People are strange!!!:)

When you compare the CTN from NYC to a weekend stay in NYC or AC, it is a very good value. Published rates for that weekend at the Marriott Grand Marquis right now is 369+tx/night. Thats an $800 tab just for the room. We are booked on the Dream for the same weekend I checked. Cat 6A was $900 total, including tax and port charges. I'm still $100 short of the room rate, but my $900 includes food and shows. A quick check shows the Borgata is a little cheaper ($529+tx total), but the same food/entertainment issues apply.

Plus, this is our 10th cruise, so we get to be PLATINUM!!!!!!! Can't wait for my new card. :D

Joe

Duty free is open on a CTN and it's better than usual. Last 1 nighter on NCL, there was NO LIMITED on liquor and cigarettes. People were stockpiling. That's one reason why the CTN is worth the extra money. $131 for 5 cartons of cigerettes. A carton of cigerettes in NYC is $80 at least.

She did?? She said she was and then was not??

People are strange!!!:)

Yep!! I believe it was the thread a few days ago regarding a cruiser who was upset because she booked Carnival air and was upset about the timing etc. etc. of the flight.

In her post, she said she had been a TA for 32 years and recently retired!!:D I may have some memory loss, but when it comes to her, I never forget:D

I recall vividly that night that I called her out on it a few months ago and she swore she was never in the travel industry. Doesn't matter anymore anyway since she posted she was...and I for one will believe her.

Hey, she has 32 years experience....why would she lie?

I can't imagine duty free would be open on a CTN. That would be highly illegal.

They charge a flat 3% tax on all purchases as the duty - but there are no limits. You can bring as much liquor, cigarettes, or expensive jewelry as you want back. There are no porters, but as long as you can lug it off the ship yourself you can bring it home.

I don't go unless we get a really good last minute deal as I think the CTNs are way overpriced. But it's a great way for those of us living in VA to get cheap liquor - the state runs all our liquor stores so there is no competition and adds a 20% tax to which our normal 5% sales tax is added on top. I can get liquor on a ship for usually 1/3 what we pay here at home. And I'm still on a ship for 2 nights. :D

Why is a 2 night cruise to nowhere from either NY or Norfolk more than the 6 night caribbean cruise I am taking over Thanksgiving??

I was toying with the idea of booking the cruise to nowhere as a quick getaway - but now I think I will just book a weekend at a B & B.

kathy

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO kathyemma: It all comes down to supply and demand. The more cruisers want to go on a particular cruise the higher the price will go up. If few people want to go then aggressive discounting takes place.

I am one of the "suckers" taking the CTN next month out of Norfolk. Besides the fact that I live right here in Norfolk I am going for a quick get away and dont have to use any vacation time. This way it will be a mini vacation just to relax a little and I get to use my real vacation time for my May 2010 cruise.

Granted I was not thrilled with the price for only 2 days but I dont have to fly anywhere, I get to relax & not cook & clean for 2 days, hubby gets his gambling fix without having to drive to Atlantic City.

I do not do the regular cruises (7 days & longer) out of Norfolk, they are way too expensive. The money I would spend on one of these I can get a better itenerary flying down to Florida including airfare.

I could not have said it better. We live in Va Beach 12 miles from the port of Norfolk. We go on a CTN for the gambling and just to get away. Last one we did we won $1200 nice little bit of change of our cruise in October.:D

Cathy - are you also going on the CTN next month? If so I'd love to talk to you about your Princess cruises that I see you've taken. I am seriously considering Princess for my next cruise.

I like CTNs out of NYC. From NJ it's an hour to NYC, so it's convenient for me. Yes, they are costly, but not more than a weekend in NYC with meals and entertainment. The other 2 CTNs I took this yr were sold out.

I will be the fifth person EVER using the cabin on the DREAM. I have never been on a ship that fresh before!

And I love checking out different ships and CTNs are a good way to do that, plus it's a weekend getaway.

I am going on the two nighter and I certainly dont feel like a sucker

Its amazing deal.. and a great quick get away... we do it every year..

$305 for a balcony for two nights? in Nyc that is cheap

I was looking at the same cruise you are going to be on. If only it ended up in FLL instead of back to NYC I would have jumped on it. We are cruising on the Miracle after your sailing so it would have been a great way to do a B2B sailing out of NY and ending up in FLL.

• 1 year later...

Archived