Graycliff Wine and Cheese Pairing -- Has Anyone Done This?

ducklite

I'm really curious as to whether it takes place in the morning or afternoon, and what wines are poured. I'm not expecting '78 CDP, '88 Sauternes, or '92 Cali cab (although a girl can dream, can't she? LOL!), but for the cost I'd be unhappy if they were pouring Mondavi Coastal and Louis Jadot which I can pick up for $10 a bottle at my local supermarket. I don't even care if the wines being poured aren't "expensive"--I'm more concerned with them not being "pedestrian" wines that I've had at a million corporate events and cocktail parties. (If you're a wine drinker/collector, you know what I mean :-) )

Also, did you feel "rushed" while tasting? I like to pace my tasting, happily sipping and slurping and note taking, and don't like to feel rushed to move on the the next wine every 20-30 seconds.

If anyone has taken this shore excursion, could you fill in the blanks? And if you are planning on taking it, I'd love to get a list of the wines poured. If they are handing out a tasting note sheet, I'd be happy to pay you for the cost of postage and photocopying to have you mail it to me. I expect that the list might change daily or weekly, but it would at least give me an idea of whether this excursion is worth the time/money or not.

Thanks so much!

We have this booked for the first cruise out of dry dock (October). We will post a full report (High expectations for one of the top rated wine bars in the world year in - year out) :)

Now if there would just be a port tasting.....

Fabulous! I perused their cellar the other day, it looks well rounded although there were no great surprises. A handful of CDP's, Harlan, Hundred Acre, Grange, Opus, d'Yquem, all caught my eye, and it was a quick glance but I think all five 1st growths are represented in a variety of vintages.

But--I was surprised to see a lot of grocery store type bottles as well though, KJ, Mondavi Coastal, Beringer White Zin... The latter are hardly something I'd expect to see in what is supposed to be a world-class collection, and that is what has me concerned that it could be a lot of money as well as a fairly significant amount of time on a short cruise wasted.

Anyhow, I'll keep an eye for your report when you return, and here's to hoping they'll be opening some really nice bottles for you--Salut!

But--I was surprised to see a lot of grocery store type bottles as well though, KJ, Mondavi Coastal, Beringer White Zin... The latter are hardly something I'd expect to see in what is supposed to be a world-class collection, and that is what has me concerned that it could be a lot of money as well as a fairly significant amount of time on a short cruise wasted.

Those are for guys like me who can't tell a good wine from a bad one. Why waste the '68 Chateau Tête de Fromage on an unsophisticated palatte when an 09 CK Mondavi will do just fine. "Last Tuesday? Why that was a fine week, one of their best!"

I'd rather have a brown beer, some barley pop anyway. Nice and dark. Cheers!

Those are for guys like me who can't tell a good wine from a bad one. Why waste the '68 Chateau Tête de Fromage on an unsophisticated palatte when an 09 CK Mondavi will do just fine. "Last Tuesday? Why that was a fine week, one of their best!"

AMEN Mick.....I'm not even near contimplating this question as I sit in my hotel room in Cocoa Beach drinking a Landshark Lager waiting for tomorrow when I can board the Magic!!!!

My husband and I regularly laugh about the amount of money that we end up literally "pissing away" due to our love for fine wines. :-/

• 3 months later...

Great thread! My brother, his daughter/my niece, his/my other niece and I are going in July. He is a wine snob, and I love to drink his expensive wine since I cannot afford it! LOL! Luckily, he is very generous with his collection.

I'll have to check out the wine list.

What is this about one of the best wine bars? Did you you mean on the ship???

Anyway, you can bring alcohol on board. I believe the corkage fee if you bring the bottle to dinner is $15.

I always love doing wine tastings at sea, but I agree it is somewhat of a let down when the tasting features only common wines you can buy anywhere.

I've never been on Disney. How much is the wine tasting?

And, as always, I have to ask - you all have heard of Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV, right? Hilarious, thorough, interesting, and energetic wine reviewer. Search for it online! You'll find it easily if you Google his name. I found him by accident on YouTube and now, I'm a huge fan. The only bigger stars to me are Cesar Millan - Dog Whisperer and Jillian Michaels - Personal Trainer on Biggest Loser!

Great thread! My brother, his daughter/my niece, his/my other niece and I are going in July. He is a wine snob, and I love to drink his expensive wine since I cannot afford it! LOL! Luckily, he is very generous with his collection.

I'll have to check out the wine list.

What is this about one of the best wine bars? Did you you mean on the ship???

Graycliff Resort in Nassau has an extensive and world reknown wine cellar, this is what we are referring to.

I've never been on Disney. How much is the wine tasting?

I want to think the onboard tasting is $12 or $15. This is not what this thread is about. The shore excursion and tasting at Graystone is $100 per person if I recall--maybe even a bit more.

And, as always, I have to ask - you all have heard of Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV, right? Hilarious, thorough, interesting, and energetic wine reviewer. Search for it online! You'll find it easily if you Google his name. I found him by accident on YouTube and now, I'm a huge fan. The only bigger stars to me are Cesar Millan - Dog Whisperer and Jillian Michaels - Personal Trainer on Biggest Loser!

I've met Gary and buy from his store on a regular basis. Enough so that I've been assigned a "personal shopper" there. (A nice perk but it means I've spent way too much money...) He's a great resource for finding decent but inexpensive bottles. I prefer Jancis Robinson and find her tastes more inline with mine.

Ducklite, thank you so much for clarifying! This sounds like a reason to actually go into Nassau instead of staying on the ship! Next time we cruise there without kids, we will look book this.

My brother has been to Nassau multiple times. I'm surprised he has not heard of this. He will be excited to find out about it!

I am soooo jealous that you actually get to shop at Wine Library TV! I would love to meet Gary Vee!

Bead Pirate: Eagerly awaiting your report!

Archived