HAL or RCCL to Bermuda

robinsongirl

We are looking at planning a cruise to Bermuda for next summer. This will be our 2nd cruise our first was on RCCL AOS to the Southern Carribean. We are trying to decide between a 7 day cruise on HAL which spends 3 1/2 days in Bermuda and a 9 day on RCCL which spends 2 in Bermuda and 2 in the Bahamas. We like the idea of almost 4 full days in Bermuda but are concerned about the possibility of rough seas on a smaller ship. WE are also concerned about the older demographic on HAL. We are in our late 40s and have 2 daughters 13 and 17. We like the idea of a 9 day cruise as opposed to the 7 day. Both would come out to about the same price. Anyone have any recommendations one way or the other? WE were also wondering if the nightly shows will still take place when the ship is docked over night. WE loved the nightly shows on the AOS.

We struggled with this decison also. Finally settling on a Celebrity Summit 7 day cruise to Bermuda out of Bayonne. To me the pricing wasn't outrageoulsy higher than the 5 day RCI EOS. We really wanted the extra days as when we did the 5 day on the Grandeur we really wanted more! I was a little concerned with our 17 YO DD on Celebrity as that age demographic is also considered to be older but in August from what I've heard they'll be sufficient teens. I looked at HAL briefly, I think the ship, is it Veendam, has been refurbished and sails into St George and Hamilton, and not Kings Wharf, which is nice, seems to have a reputation of an even older demographic. We might try that when our teen is in college..

When we were docked at Kings Wharf on the Grandeur all the evening activities, shows , dinners, etc took place.

Despite its reputation, HAL's passengers really aren't any older than the other lines (OK, Carnival might be the exception.) There's been a wide range of ages every time we've sailed with them. We've booked the Veendam for next year and we're thrilled that we'll be docking both in St. Georges and Hamilton. Much better, IMHO, than the Wharf. And we'll have more time in our favorite spot. You might want to give HAL another look!

Despite its reputation, HAL's passengers really aren't any older than the other lines (OK, Carnival might be the exception.) There's been a wide range of ages every time we've sailed with them. We've booked the Veendam for next year and we're thrilled that we'll be docking both in St. Georges and Hamilton. Much better, IMHO, than the Wharf. And we'll have more time in our favorite spot. You might want to give HAL another look!

We have cruised to Bermuda every year since 2004 only on NCL. This October we are going to try the Dawn out of New York, rather than the Spirit out of nearby Boston. The reason is the Dawn sails Sunday to Sunday rather than the Friday to Friday of the Spirit.

Now that HAL is sailing to Bermuda, we are seriously thinking about it for next year as a change from NCL, to see if we would like HAL. I do agree, I like the convenience of St. George and Hamilton compared to King's Wharf.

It also seems like HAL will be giving you a lot of time in Bermuda and that is what is more important to us than sea days. I think the price is about the same as well.

WE are also concerned about the older demographic on HAL. We are in our late 40s and have 2 daughters 13 and 17.

I doubt that the demographic on a summer cruise out of New York is going to be old even if it is HAL. Summer cruises out of New York likely are going have a lot of families just like on the Celebrity Zenith when it sailed to Bermuda from New York.

My dh and I have cruised 4 summers in a row to Bermuda. The 1st time was on the Celebrity Zenith...the 2nd time was on the Azamara Journey..both docked in Hamilton and St. George. I did love docking there. The 3rd time we took the Dawn out of New York....yes, you have 2 sea days on the way over but, except for the EOS, if you add up the time you're there, all are about the same give or take a few hours. Add it up.:D Hal is alot more expensive, too, I figured out. Last year we also took the Dawn out of New York. It is so easy and convenient. I actually like the dockyard, it has been improved alot and I love to take the ferry where I want to go. It's a relaxing, beautiful ride. We also thought about the Celebrity Summit, but, it is several hundred dollars more. The Dawn has so much to do. The entertainment is top notch. Next June we will also be going to Bermuda again on the DAWN.

HAL is a wonderful cruiseline and we are looking forward to our planned cruise next May to Bermuda with our two children - who will be 3 and 5 at the time. I began cruising HAL when I was 3, and my experiences created a life-long love of cruising and HAL. ...so the crowd isn't always "OLD"

Although I have been on HAL 11 times, this will be our first time with children. We did the NCL Majesty to Bermuda when our first son was 9 months old, and it was nice, but there were certainly HAL touches that we missed.

I'm considering the HAL cruise, too. I've been to BDA 3 years in a row, staying for a week at a hotel. First time we were supposed to take a cruise b/c of the great deal, then I waited too long to book & couldn't get an outside cabin. Now we love spending time there, I'm not sure I'd be happy with only 4 days in BDA instead of 8. On the flip side, it'd be wonderful to start our vacay immediately and not have to deal with the airport!

Me & my fiance are on the north side of 40 (just barely!), I hope HAL won't be too old!!! Then again, I probably won't care. I'm more worried about not getting enough time in Bermuda.

This last visit we rented a boat & had a blast exploring the islands in Castle Harbour. Hurricane Bill made a beautiful beach there that I hope I will remember for a long, long time.

I'm appreciating everyone's comments because I'm considering Bermuda in May 2010 and am deciding between the Summit and the Veendam. Celebrity & HAL are my two favorite cruise lines. The final choice may come down to the best deal. I have never been to Bermuda - my main concern is that May might be too cold for swimming.

• 1 month later...

We are in a similar situation. We have a reservation on board the Explorer for June of 2010. I have been getting really turned off by Royal Caribbean over the past few years. We have had enough.

So a few weeks ago I noticed that Holland America is starting to go back to Bermuda. I've have heard a lot of good things about this cruise line. So I booked a cruise on the Ms. Veendam for June of 2010.

We have been loyal to RCI, but they have been sinking very fast lately. I'll hold onto my Explorer reservation until final payment is due, but I am very much looking forward to trying Holland America.

We have sailed to Bermuda twice in May. Once in 2003 on the Celebrity Horizon & in 2006 on RCCL Empress of the Seas. In 2003, it was perfect weather for swimming. In 2006, it rained the whole time we were in Hamilton. But we stil went to Horseshoe Bay for swimming. Both times we went in early May. We are booked for later in May in 2010 on Celebrity Summit. I would like a repeat of 2003!

• 3 weeks later...
I doubt that the demographic on a summer cruise out of New York is going to be old even if it is HAL. Summer cruises out of New York likely are going have a lot of families just like on the Celebrity Zenith when it sailed to Bermuda from New York.

Can you give some information about the zeith in terms of children and families...we are a group of 16 ranging in age from 10 to 87 so we have every age range covered. Were there lots of families with kids during the summer? Was there a kids program?

Karen, hi again.;)

I can't tell from your post if you're aware the Zenith no longer is with Celebrity or if you just want to know what it was like on the Zenith. The majority of our cruises to Bermuda were on her and although it was in Oct. there were still any number of families with children. Summer months would naturally have even more.

Really can't comment on the children's programs but they must have kept them busy because I didn't see much of them on sea days.

You might waant to go to the Celebrity board and ask specifically about children's programs on the Summit since that is the ship that will be sailing.

Can you give some information about the zeith in terms of children and families...we are a group of 16 ranging in age from 10 to 87 so we have every age range covered. Were there lots of families with kids during the summer? Was there a kids program?

There were lots of children and families during the summer. There was a program for children but you would need to check on the current ships sailing to Bermuda and not go by what they had on Zenith. I would guess though that they all have such programs.

Honestly, the perception by folks who have never cruised HAL that it has an older demographic is getting, well, old! ;)

We have been cruising HAL since I was barely 30, and we are now 3-star Mariners. The only time HAL seems to have an older demographic is for 10+ night cruises when school is in session, which would be true for any cruise line.

We are now in our late 30s/early 40s and have chosen the Veendam to Bermuda in 5/10, not only because we love HAL's elegant service but because we put a greater value on docking at both St. Georges and Hamilton v. staying at King's Wharf on Celebrity.

Bottom line: please don't be concerned about an older demographic on a one-week cruise on HAL, particularly during the summer if school is out. It's no Carnival and not as crazy as Royal Caribbean, but it is hardly the "Scooterdam" or geriatric ward.

Honestly, the perception by folks who have never cruised HAL that it has an older demographic is getting, well, old! ;)

I agree that the Veendam itinerary is the best one for Bermuda.

I will admit that I am one who has had that perception about HAL having an older demographic. Next week I will be on cruise number 33 but number 1 on HAL. We shall see :)

Thanks.

The Westerdam. Half Moon Cay, Aruba and Curacao.

We were just on the Westerdam 10/25 - 11/8. Our first week was the same itinerary that you are doing. Great ship! You cannot beat HMC, if the weather is nice. It's my favorite private island of any cruiseline.

We also had wonderful service; our cabin stewards, many of the bartenders (Mabel, Dink, Theresa, Jason, Joey and Richard), and our MDR waiters, Elvis and Anton. Hope you find the same.

If Joel Mason is still on when you board, make a point of seeing him if you can. Just arrive a bit early as sometimes his show can be SRO.

I'll be curious to hear about your trip when you return. Happy cruising. :)

Charles - we did this cruise 11/15. It was marvelous. Ditto to everything the previous poster said. The series of Mixology classes are a hoot - highly recommended! And no, HAL really isn't for the "nearly dead" -- we love it!

Hope we'll see you on the Veendam in May next year!

Charles - we did this cruise 11/15. It was marvelous. Ditto to everything the previous poster said. The series of Mixology classes are a hoot - highly recommended! And no, HAL really isn't for the "nearly dead" -- we love it!

Hope we'll see you on the Veendam in May next year!

Did you take the whole series of mixology classes? Did Teresa give you a "graduation cap" upon completion? :)

We did the Pub Crawl as well. Fun stuff!

We did take the whole series -- got the diploma to prove it!:D "Mother Teresa" insisted that we wear our bathrobes as graduation gowns -- but I drew the line at the shower cap as a mortar board. Besides, we only had one, and DH & I couldn't decided who should wear it! We missed the Pub Crawl, but it sounded like it was fun. Next time!!

Archived