Sunset Veranda Front of Ship???

Traveler25

My wife and I are booked on our first Azamarra cruise departing Athens next May 3rd (12 night Holy Land) and are considering booking a Sunset Veranda room in the front of the ship (overlooking the ship's bow). We were wondering if anyone has taken a similar room on any ship? The only real concern I have is if the ship's forward movement will create too much wind in our face to enjoy the room since the ship cruises at about 20 knots. We recently had a stern end room on the Celebrity Solstice, which we loved, but we found ourselves walking all the way to the bow occassionally to watch as our ship entered ports and well, we just thought that a front row seat would be pretty cool. Any advice:confused:

My wife and I are booked on our first Azamarra cruise departing Athens next May 3rd (12 night Holy Land) and are considering booking a Sunset Veranda room in the front of the ship (overlooking the ship's bow). We were wondering if anyone has taken a similar room on any ship? The only real concern I have is if the ship's forward movement will create too much wind in our face to enjoy the room since the ship cruises at about 20 knots. We recently had a stern end room on the Celebrity Solstice, which we loved, but we found ourselves walking all the way to the bow occassionally to watch as our ship entered ports and well, we just thought that a front row seat would be pretty cool. Any advice:confused:

Azamara Journey, cabin 7000, last winter in the Caribbean. Nice cabin, nice veranda. Best was at arrival in port and sailaway - watching the deck crew tie up or cast off, lower or raise anchor - whatever. And once, literally, sail into the sunset. Not aware of a wind problem, but while cruising we spent most of our time on deck 5 in a chaise rather than the upright chairs on the veranda. However, my lingering impression is that it wasn't an issue.

Azamara Journey, cabin 7000, last winter in the Caribbean. Nice cabin, nice veranda. Best was at arrival in port and sailaway - watching the deck crew tie up or cast off, lower or raise anchor - whatever. And once, literally, sail into the sunset. Not aware of a wind problem, but while cruising we spent most of our time on deck 5 in a chaise rather than the upright chairs on the veranda. However, my lingering impression is that it wasn't an issue.
We were in Journey 7001 in the Baltic this July. Concur with gisnered's comments. Never had a wind issue [i imagine there would be one if your veranda door and hall door were both open]. The balcony is actually fairly enclosed with a sloping metal panel to railing level that defects the wind. We did a Bridge tour, and our host was surprised I knew he was the Bow Officer when docking, but we had a full view of him every time entering and exiting port!

Thom

Are pax permitted to access the bow deck or is it restricted to crew only? Are there any "public" forward viewing areas on the outside?
No pax on Bow Deck. Public forward viewing from top decks: 11 Sun Deck and 10 Looking Glass lounge [9 AquaSpa has a forward looking area, but it is in an extra cost area].

Thom

No pax on Bow Deck. Public forward viewing from top decks: 11 Sun Deck and 10 Looking Glass lounge [9 AquaSpa has a forward looking area, but it is in an extra cost area].
Thanks TravelerThom, I appreciate your reply. I'm not surprised that pax can't access the bow on Azamara ships, although I was hopeful. Most of our cruising has been on HAL where pax can access the bow when the ship is underway, in favorable weather or for scenic cruising. It's also possible when the ship is in port, as long as you don't hinder the work of crew. We'll enjoy regardless! :):)

• 1 month later...
Do these sunset verandas at the bow have a solid metal railing rather than one that you can see through?
YES, solid metal at maybe a thirty degree angle. These balconies have more deck than standard verandas, but because of the slant the useful area is about the same.

Thom

How about the aft sunset verandas - also have a solid metal railing?

A little more spacious?

I wasn't entirely sure, but I found an aft end picture at http://www dot ************** dot com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10503/cat/870 [actually the Quest, but should be identical] Yes, solid balcony rails. I think they are virtually the same size, but not absolutely sure.

Thom

Won't let me post the link, but it was a definitive photo.

Archived