How casual can we be on Formal nite on the Explorer to Bermuda

stipmom

and still be appropriate for the main dining room? It is a five night cruise. Can my husband get away with a dress shirt but no jacket or tie? Thanks

Absolutely he can. Just off the Enchantment and we did not dress for formal night, and attended anyway at the prompting of our waiter. We wore slacks and a button down shirt. Two or three dozen other men dressed the same way.

and still be appropriate for the main dining room? It is a five night cruise. Can my husband get away with a dress shirt but no jacket or tie? Thanks

You have actually asked two very different questions.

I doubt that you want an answer to the first, so I'll answer the second.

"Can my husband get away with a dress shirt but no jacket or tie?"

These days, it seems that one can "get away" with just about anything. You are unlikely to be denied entrance to the dining room.

I think the word appropriate will be debated.

As far as what can you wear, RCI only makes suggestions. The only thing you can't wear are bathing suits and tank tops. They list shorts as a no-no in the MDR but, I've seen to many reports that indicate on some sailings shorts have been allowed.

I've seen everything from blue jean and a t-shirt on a 3 night Ensenada sailng a few years ago to tuxes. Slacks and a dress shirt without a tie might be in the minority but will be allowed in the MDR on formal night.

I think you're confused. Those two words don't go together.

Hmm, I think you may be confused Peter. The question was how casual can one dress on a formal night. Nothing confusing there except your answer.

You may look out of place in Top Hat and Tails, but wont be in a simple jacket and tie outfit. You may also find yourself a little out of place in a long sleeve shirt without a tie, but you will still be permitted to attend.

Hmm, I think you may be confused Peter. The question was how casual can one dress on a formal night. Nothing confusing there except your answer.

I know our English roots are the same, and will maintain the two words are more like antonyms, and not used as to nuance.

You may look out of place in Top Hat and Tails, but wont be in a simple jacket and tie outfit. You may also find yourself a little out of place in a long sleeve shirt without a tie, but you will still be permitted to attend.

More likely to be out of place in tails and a top hat than in a dress shirt with no tie. Tails have been out of style for a number of years and I don't recall ever seeing tails on formal night, although I'm sure there have probably been a few. My son-in-law wanted a white tux with tails for the wedding and had a tough time finding one to rent. Most stores weren't carrying that style anymore.

It's been a couple of years but, on our last cruise it seemed to me that the number of tuxes and the number of shirts/no ties were at the opposite ends of the bell curve with jackets and ties making up the bulk of the crowd.

Archived