Sitmar Fairsky

See related email Doug. I have sailed Fairsea, then two of P&O's ships that were similar to Sitmar - Spirit of London (Sun Princess) and Arcadia (Star Princess). It's nice to know other folks are out there that appreciated these smaller but more elegant cruise ships. SS Norway and QE2 were my favorites out of the bunch though...

• 3 weeks later...
Assuming you mean FAIRSKY (IV), built in 1984, she became SKY PRINCESS when P&O bought Sitmar and merged them with Princess in 1989. She moved to P&O Cruises Australia in 2001 and is now their PACIFIC SKY.

I have heard strong rumors that the ship is for sale and that Carnival/P&O Princess are actively seeking a buyer.

I sailed on her in 1998 as SKY PRINCESS and she remains a favorite of mine.

That's very interesting. We sailed her out of Sydney in the spring of 1975.

We enjoyed the journey and the good company.

Where do you find information on past lives of older ships?

I am curious about the Oransay / Orient lines that my grandfather cruised with.

• 2 months later...

The original TSS Fairsky that after finishing line runs from Europe to Australia was based in Sydney as a criuse ship and did indeed got holed in Singapore and that finished its life we sailed on it twice and it was a wonderfull ship and had great crews Italian and portugaleas who made you feel welcome and looked after you so it was a holiday to remember It was a sad day when Sitmar was no more it was the end of an era when old fashion service faded away

Davaller

The original TSS Fairsky that after finishing line runs from Europe to Australia was based in Sydney as a criuse ship and did indeed got holed in Singapore and that finished its life we sailed on it twice and it was a wonderfull ship and had great crews Italian and portugaleas who made you feel welcome and looked after you so it was a holiday to remember It was a sad day when Sitmar was no more it was the end of an era when old fashion service faded away

Davaller

YES - I think perhaps that's the ship we sailed on. It was in May of 1975.

The waiters tried to please - but you needed a smattering of Italian words to get what you meant to order in the dining room!

The ship we sailed did NOT look like the Fairsky that Princess bought and renamed.

Do you recall the year Fairsky was holed?

Was she sunk or salvaged for scrap? The South China Seas is not always kind.

On Fairsky, I'll always remember having afternoon tea brought to our deck chairs while watching dolphins play in the waves.

Afternoon teas seem to be a thing of the past.... Whether informall tea served on deck from a cart or proper tea served in the ship's dining room by white gloved waiters.....

I see you are in Perth - It will be a very warm day in your part of the world while we have knee deep snow. We will be glad to sail to South America in January.

First we are still waiting for summer to come 22c today normaly around 32c at this time

She got holed out of Singapore did not sink and all got off safely but she went to the wreckers

We went with our two children 6 & 4 for 28 days Xmas cruise Noumea Suva Tonga New Zealand the first time and to Asia the second time and then she was no more we then went on the Fairstar but when P & O got hold of Sitmar it Changed unhappy crew so the service went down all for profit but that is the world today

We have decided to give cruising another go Sun Princess in September next year for 35 days any comments on this ship?

Davaller

First we are still waiting for summer to come 22c today normaly around 32c at this time

She got holed out of Singapore did not sink and all got off safely but she went to the wreckers

We went with our two children 6 & 4 for 28 days Xmas cruise Noumea Suva Tonga New Zealand the first time and to Asia the second time and then she was no more we then went on the Fairstar but when P & O got hold of Sitmar it Changed unhappy crew so the service went down all for profit but that is the world today

We have decided to give cruising another go Sun Princess in September next year for 35 days any comments on this ship?

Davaller

I don't know Sun Princess at all....although I have seen that itinerary.

Why did you choose this line??

We are sailing with Royal Caribbean for 46 days Jan 4th 2009 from Cape Canaveral on Mariner of the Seas.

She is on a repositioning run from Florida to California.

Since she is too big to get through the Panama Canal, we are going "Around the Horn" of South America and up to Costa Rica, Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas to Los Angeles....

The prices are deep down in the basement with the ship 90% booked.

Check it out at RCCL.com

From there you could catch a ship to Hawaii and be half way home.

Thanks for the info on the old Fairsky/ Sitmar

On Fairsky' date=' I'll always remember having afternoon tea brought to our deck chairs while watching dolphins play in the waves. [/color']

Afternoon teas seem to be a thing of the past.... Whether informall tea served on deck from a cart or proper tea served in the ship's dining room by white gloved waiters.....

Afternoon teas are still very much alive on both Princess and HAL.

Afternoon teas are still very much alive on both Princess and HAL.

Hi Deepwater Mariner,

What kind of Afternoon Teas have you experienced on HAL and Princess?

Were they formal teas?

Throwing a tea bag on a napkin - beside a melamine mug doesn't count!

Tea in the deep south can be difficult to navigate. One must be specific: "Hot Tea with Milk"

I asked for tea with milk once - and got a sugary tall frosty glass of ice tea (with a slice of lemon) and a small glass of milk beside it.

We have not cruised on Princess or HAL - although our travel agent has recommended them highly.

One of my favorite memories on Sitmar's Fairsky was the excellent teas served each afternoon. Perhaps it was because of the number of Australian/New Zealanders and Brits on board.

We've experienced tea on the Fairsky...the one that became the Fair Princess.

Anyway, the teas on both Princess and HAL are done with white gloves in the dinning room on a daily basis. I prefer the one on Princess, but the Rosenthal china is nicer on HAL. HAL even does an Indonesian tea with the waiters in costume and a selection of Indonesian teas and coffees. I love the Princess approach...very organized. One waiter after another appears, first with the tea, then sandwiches, then pastries, and finally scones...and they keep coming back.

We've experienced tea on the Fairsky...the one that became the Fair Princess.

Anyway, the teas on both Princess and HAL are done with white gloves in the dinning room on a daily basis. I prefer the one on Princess, but the Rosenthal china is nicer on HAL. HAL even does an Indonesian tea with the waiters in costume and a selection of Indonesian teas and coffees. I love the Princess approach...very organized. One waiter after another appears, first with the tea, then sandwiches, then pastries, and finally scones...and they keep coming back.

The most recent Fairsky (layed in 1984) became the Sky Princess and is now the Sky Wonder owned by Pullmantur of Spain.

The previous Fairsky was in service in Australia and was cut up in 1978.

The Fair Princess was previously the Sitmar Fairwind.

• 1 month later...

When I was six my family and I emigrated to England on the Fairsky and landed in England on the 15th august 1969. I have great memories of the lovely food, childrens fancy dress party, crossing the equator and all the countries we stopped at. I was wondering if anyone else was on that voyage?

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the Sitmar ships an service. I was on the first voyage in 1984. My mother won another cruise and I met my husband. When we got married Sitmar sent us a beautiful wooden music box with the ship's name inlaid on the lid. It sits in my bedroom still as a wonderful reminder of all our Sitmar cruises and I still use all my Circolo glasses.

I kept my 13 in the orig grey flannel bag n silver box w/band..wouddnt trade em for nuttin.. also have the big dish, comfiscated by a nice cocktail waiter fro PG party..and the crossed rope ashtray..now therrrre was a cruze line!

The most recent Fairsky (layed in 1984) became the Sky Princess and is now the Sky Wonder owned by Pullmantur of Spain.

The previous Fairsky was in service in Australia and was cut up in 1978.

The Fair Princess was previously the Sitmar Fairwind.

Correction, Fairsea became Fair Princess and Fairwind the first Dawn Princess.

Fair Princess replaced Fairstar in Australia 1997.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, a few people have mentioned sailing with Captain Potenzoni, my mum sailed with him in 1960 and we are looking for some photos of him (from any year) and any of the crew from around that time. Can anyone help us out here? It would be much appriciated.

Many Thanks

Dave

davemunro@gmail.com

Hi all, i am new too this site, stumbled upon it while searching for a crew member. I believe captain Pontenzoni was captain on the fairsky in 1960, my mum was "coming home" from Australia, the ship docked in Southampton late November, i wonder if anyone can remember the pursers name? I would like any information/pictures about crew passengers. Does anyone know if there are passenger/crew lists anywhere that i could look through. Any infomation would be very much appreciated,

Kind regards :)

Hi all, i am new too this site, stumbled upon it while searching for a crew member. I believe captain Pontenzoni was captain on the fairsky in 1960, my mum was "coming home" from Australia, the ship docked in Southampton late November, i wonder if anyone can remember the pursers name? I would like any information/pictures about crew passengers. Does anyone know if there are passenger/crew lists anywhere that i could look through. Any infomation would be very much appreciated,

Kind regards :)

he was actually "found" by Vlaslov, the owner of Sitmar..he was cold, hungry, broke, and sleeping under a bridge when he was found by him as a young man. Gave him a job, and Michele worked is way up the ladder. I visited with him and his family in Torre de Grec, Italy in the mid 70's. That is the only one I know of. At CCL corp off in Miami, there are 2 last employee who were with Sitmar. you might call/email, guest Services, and direct you inquirey to Roger Blum, whom I knew back then (I sailed with him last spring) He grew up as a bartender, and a Jr Purser on Fairwind, etc. Rogers mom is a travel writer..it was nice to see him 35 yrs later ! God Luck in your quest..I sailed w/Potenzoni alot, as well as several others.."My heart will go on "...with Sitmar... I'll check back in to see if you had any luck

he was actually "found" by Vlaslov, the owner of Sitmar..he was cold, hungry, broke, and sleeping under a bridge when he was found by him as a young man. Gave him a job, and Michele worked is way up the ladder. I visited with him and his family in Torre de Grec, Italy in the mid 70's. That is the only one I know of. At CCL corp off in Miami, there are 2 last employee who were with Sitmar. you might call/email, guest Services, and direct you inquirey to Roger Blum, whom I knew back then (I sailed with him last spring) He grew up as a bartender, and a Jr Purser on Fairwind, etc. Rogers mom is a travel writer..it was nice to see him 35 yrs later ! God Luck in your quest..I sailed w/Potenzoni alot, as well as several others.."My heart will go on "...with Sitmar... I'll check back in to see if you had any luck

Thank you for you message , this is so important to me. I started this search nearly 30 years ago, and gave up. I decided to give it one last go :).

I will try and contact Roger Blum,

Many thanks

we seem to be coming out of the woodwork! keep us posted..please

Hi Luckycruiser,

i will keep you posted, i shall check the board daily. The name i have for the Purser is Andrea Onetio, but this could be wrong or spelt wrong, am not 100% certain if it was the Fairsea or Fairsky they came back to England on. They went to Australia (in 1956) on one and came home on the other. Only thing i am certain about is they traveled home in November 1960. I know the ship arrived a few hours early and some of the crews family came on board. I would be interested to know more about the 1st puser you told mentioned in your post, my brother remember a crew member by they name , but he was only seven :).

Thanks again

Michele (Michael) Freschetti, lived in Torre De Greco, up the mountain. I was lucky to have known him in those daze. We were great pals, and I got lots of perks, even when there weren't perks for the average cruzer. his age now would be about later 70's or more. Back in those daze, the officers were allowed to come into the lounges, and dance with the ladies, but had to dissappear at midnight. There was always clandestine meetings here and there..the fave place was the gym up top buy the famous "V" funnel. Also, if my pal on the Holiday who is in the hotelery end and worked Sitmars Australia ships, is sailing with me, April 20/25..Carlos De Melo,(he was F&B then) he might remember your friend. I'll make note of his name, but if you can give me some more hints about him..I'll have more to go on..years, looks etc...

Edited by luckycruzer

Michele (Michael) Freschetti, lived in Torre De Greco, up the mountain. I was lucky to have known him in those daze. We were great pals, and I got lots of perks, even when there weren't perks for the average cruzer. his age now would be about later 70's or more. Back in those daze, the officers were allowed to come into the lounges, and dance with the ladies, but had to dissappear at midnight. There was always clandestine meetings here and there..the fave place was the gym up top buy the famous "V" funnel. Also, if my pal on the Holiday who is in the hotelery end and worked Sitmars Australia ships, is sailing with me, April 20/25..Carlos De Melo,(he was F&B then) he might remember your friend. I'll make note of his name, but if you can give me some more hints about him..I'll have more to go on..years, looks etc...

Hi again Lucky cruiser, thank you for you help :)..can i send you a private message to explain, and give you my families names.

I plan on robbing my big brothers photo album at some time over the weekend (he doesnt know it yet) as i know there are lots of on board pictures. They might also jog his memory a bit. I do know he would be in his mid - late 70s. I have been told he also had blue eyes black hair, about 5ft 9...

thats about it for now, manny thanks :)

Hi again Lucky cruiser, thank you for you help :)..can i send you a private message to explain, and give you my families names.

I plan on robbing my big brothers photo album at some time over the weekend (he doesnt know it yet) as i know there are lots of on board pictures. They might also jog his memory a bit. I do know he would be in his mid - late 70s. I have been told he also had blue eyes black hair, about 5ft 9...

thats about it for now, manny thanks :)

theeangel at juno dot com the usual sequence will get whatever to me..glad to see what I can do..lucky

Edited by luckycruzer