Retreat vs. The Sanctuary

Rosethorn40

I am considering a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam in February/March of 2010. My question is how similar is The Retreat to The Sanctuary that is found on board some of the Princess ships? After enjoying the Sanctuary on The Emerald I don't think I could ever sail on a ship, in the Caribbean, in the spring without a quiet, adult place to read/nap/daydream. I thought The Retreat was for adults, but I keep reading something about "family cabana's" When I hear the word family I think kids. So my questions are:

A) Is the Retreat adult only?

B) Is is quiet?

C) Is it in it's own area, or do passengers have to walk through it to get to another part of the ship?

D) If you have used both the Sanctuary & the Retreat which did you prefer?

Thank you

I am considering a Caribbean cruise on the Eurdam in February/March of 2010. My question is how similar is The Retreat to The Sanctuary that is found on board some of the Princess ships? After enjoying the Sanctuary on The Emerald I don't think I could ever sail on a ship, in the Caribbean, in the spring without a quiet, adult place to read/nap/daydream. I thought The Retreat was for adults, but I keep reading something about "family cabana's" When I hear the word family I think kids. So my questions are:

A) Is the Retreat adult only?

B) Is is quiet?

C) Is it in it's own area, or do passengers have to walk through it to get to another part of the ship?

D) If you have used both the Sanctuary & the Retreat which did you prefer?

Thank you

We've rented a family retreat cabana for our upcoming Oct. cruise and our "kids" are older 17 - 4Oyr olds. I'll let you know in 5 weeks. I'm hoping for no screaming babies LOL.

Anyone reading about The Retreat on the E-dam should not equate it with The Retreat on the Veendam (and soon to be on the Rotterdam)---they are not at all the same concept.

It's unfortunate that HAL chose to give them the same name.

The Retreat on the E-dam is a quiet, private area, removed from the rest of shipboard life. The Retreat on the Veendam is a public area with a bandstand, movie screen, bar, pizza stand, and watering trough for feet (and baby butts).

Anyone reading about The Retreat on the E-dam should not equate it with The Retreat on the Veendam (and soon to be on the Rotterdam)---they are not at all the same concept.

It's unfortunate that HAL chose to give them the same name.

The Retreat on the E-dam is a quiet, private area, removed from the rest of shipboard life. The Retreat on the Veendam is a public area with a bandstand, movie screen, bar, pizza stand, and watering trough for feet (and baby butts).

That makes zero sense IMO! Why on earth would a cruise line call two totally different concepts the same thing? I could understand if the layout was slightly different, or it it was located on a different part of the ship, but based on your discription it appears the only thing about the two Retreats that is the same is the name.:mad:

I know that HAL normally has a more mature passenger, but that they are trying to attract a younger crowd as well. I personally don't care if there is a 1000 screaming children on board, as long as there is someplace quiet-just for adults.

That makes zero sense IMO! Why on earth would a cruise line call two totally different concepts the same thing? I could understand if the layout was slightly different, or it it was located on a different part of the ship, but based on your discription it appears the only thing about the two Retreats that is the same is the name.:mad:

I know that HAL normally has a more mature passenger, but that they are trying to attract a younger crowd as well. I personally don't care if there is a 1000 screaming children on board, as long as there is someplace quiet-just for adults.

A couple of weeks ago, RuthC and I had this same discussion. She convinced me enough that I went and looked for photos to compare. SHE IS 100% correct.

I will post a photo of the new retreat pool here below, but first let me explain, the retreats are totally different in that one has a pool and hte other has a wading pool only, in which the deck lounge chairs are in the water.

Retreat Pool (wading Pool) YES, Those are lounge chairs and what appear to be built in Benches IN the Water

SOE2_Retreat.jpg.acd67fdf71adba28f4121906fd28f1d9.jpg

This to me is one of the less want to be spots on a HAL ship ever

I wish I could find the photo of the new BEAUTIFUL retreat but if you go to http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/NieuwAmsterdam and click on the Virtual Tours, then click on the Retreat Virtual Tour. You will see why it can be an upsetting thing to see them compared.

Joanie

...the retreats are totally different in that one has a pool and hte other has a wading pool only, in which the deck lounge chairs are in the water.

No, Joanie. Neither one has a pool.

The Retreat on the E-dam has no water area at all (unless you spill your bottle of water. ;)). None.

The Veendam has a "poolette", which is a wading pool, with loungers in it. That's the one I referred to as a "watering trough".

Yes, Rosethorn40, it makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

Archived