Luau - must do activity?

circee

I spent some time reading luau reviews on Trip Advisor, and now I'm wondering if going to a luau on our visit to the islands is a must do activity? Of course, I realize its our choice, but it seems like luaus are expensive, long affairs with so so food. Will I really be missing out? Are there comparable alternatives to a luau? Thanks for any thoughts.

I'm hesitant about going to a luau, as both my daughter & I are wicked picky eaters... I'll eat pork, she won't. I'd love to see the show portion of it, would it be worth it for us??? I hate to make our group miss something as cool as a luau just because we won't eat the food. I'm afraid to spend $$ and have basically nothing to eat.

I hate to say it, but a luau is a combo of theatre and food and just going for one of the two is expensive and almost pointless. If you don't like kalua pork (which is the finest pork I've ever eaten) or interested in the other foods that are typical of a luau, there is no shame in not going. It took my wife and me about 8 trips to the islands before we went to our first luau. We had fun (our two kids went for free at the Royal Lahina) on our first, and have also done them on the Big Island. But don't feel obligated at all.

Here is a question - do any luaus allow people to attend the show only, and not also the buffet? That's an interesting question, and might be a solution for circee.

• Administrators
I'm hesitant about going to a luau, as both my daughter & I are wicked picky eaters... I'll eat pork, she won't. I'd love to see the show portion of it, would it be worth it for us??? I hate to make our group miss something as cool as a luau just because we won't eat the food. I'm afraid to spend $$ and have basically nothing to eat.

Most luaus post their menus online, so you could see in advance whether there's something you could eat? We went to a luau on our first visit to Hawaii because I was determined to. :) I'm glad we did -- I enjoyed the gorgeous beach setting, the show, the music, and even most of the food (glad I got to taste poi, even if I didn't care for it). I don't feel a strong need to do another one, unless we are with friends/family who would like to go, but I would go again in that case -- it was fun.

Aloha,

Sometimes the luaus at the hotels do sell "show only" tickets. Here on Maui, exceptions would be the Old Lahaina and the Feast at Lele--they have never sold show only.

Drawbacks to show only tickets are that you would be seated after everyone else--which could result in less than optimal views.

As for menus, yes, most of the Luaus post their menus online. The Hyatt (Drums of the Pacific) has a number of dishes, as does the Old Lahaina.....it's not just pork & poi!

If one is a truly picky eater--then take a look first and decide. For example, The Feast at Lele is wonderful, but when I was "in the biz" I used to have my guests review the menu before booking it, since it is very different than any other luau.

Sometimes guests had religious or cultural issues with menus from any luau, as well--so best to think it over and do what is best for you!

I hate to say it, but a luau is a combo of theatre and food and just going for one of the two is expensive and almost pointless. If you don't like kalua pork (which is the finest pork I've ever eaten) or interested in the other foods that are typical of a luau, there is no shame in not going. It took my wife and me about 8 trips to the islands before we went to our first luau. We had fun (our two kids went for free at the Royal Lahina) on our first, and have also done them on the Big Island. But don't feel obligated at all.

Here is a question - do any luaus allow people to attend the show only, and not also the buffet? That's an interesting question, and might be a solution for circee.

I never thought of that possibility - though I am considering House without a Key (?) to see some hula dancing and music. I'm also not a crowd person - prefer smaller gatherings:)

Aloha, Circee,

Oh, do House Without a Key............absolutely the best choice..........and don't do PCC if you dislike crowds......go to Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace instead.

Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check these out - and thanks for the heads up on PCC.

I spent some time reading luau reviews on Trip Advisor, and now I'm wondering if going to a luau on our visit to the islands is a must do activity? Of course, I realize its our choice, but it seems like luaus are expensive, long affairs with so so food. Will I really be missing out? Are there comparable alternatives to a luau? Thanks for any thoughts.

Food: Think buffet, unless you are going to one of the smaller hotel sponsored luau's expect mass foods just like the buffet on the ship. Not, bad, but not gourment. In the smaller Hotel Luau's you might actually get to eat the kalua cooked in a imu, see it removed and prepped. We experienced both, and always perfer the smaller ones. Go to a larger affiar and forget it.

The real reason to go is for the atmosphere, see the entertainment. I've been to hawaii way to many times, but each time the wife always wants to spend the bucks. I always complain, but never have I come away dissatisfied. yes food is mediocre, but the atmosphere and entertainment is always fun. No only you can decide if the $ will be better spent on a nice private dinner or other activity.

Enjoy

We really didn't have any interest in spending close to $300 for something like this until I realized we could go to the show only. We are going to be on Kauai on Thanksgiving day so decided to have our Thanksgiving meal on the ship and then go to the show portion of the luau. The show only portion is $15. This is for Smith's Luau btw. Best of both worlds for us.

• 1 month later...
Chachi - Which two luaus did you go to and when?

I went to Paradise Cove both times. Once in 1995. I was only 17, so I thought that maybe that was why I didn't enjoy it. I went again for my 30th birthday a couple of years ago. I went with my mom who had never been to Hawaii before and really wanted to do a luau. We did Paradise Cove again, and still was not impressed. It is not that I think they did a bad job, just it is not interesting to me. We also went on a sunset dinner cruise that had Hawaiian dancing, and I just don't care for it. But, the food and views were fantastic so I would do the that again.

Go to a Luau! We went to ONE the Old Lahaina and it was a highlight of our entire trip. My husband hates song and dance type shows and he raved about this. (The free drinks probably helped his night! LOL. ) I am so glad that we spent the money and went. The evening was absolutely georgeous, and the sun sets on the water while you are there. It was a truely memorable night! Don't skip it!

Aloha, Circee,

Oh, do House Without a Key............absolutely the best choice..........and don't do PCC if you dislike crowds......go to Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace instead.

That's our preference, any day of the week!:)

We don't attend "commercial" luaus, aren't interested in PCC, and love House Without a Key for a more relaxed and still lovely evening.

beachchick

Go to a Luau! We went to ONE the Old Lahaina and it was a highlight of our entire trip. My husband hates song and dance type shows and he raved about this. (The free drinks probably helped his night! LOL. ) I am so glad that we spent the money and went. The evening was absolutely georgeous, and the sun sets on the water while you are there. It was a truely memorable night! Don't skip it!

Us too!! The Old Lahaina Luau was our favourite luau - it was just awesome!

Here is a link to the Old Lahaina Luau site if you want to check it out.

Other people who have said that you don't typically go a luau for the food are right. Don't get me wrong, the food is good - but it's not gourmet... it's more casual.

If you want a taste of traditional Hawaiian culture though, then a luau will be enjoyed by all. For us, it's a must-do activity on every trip to Hawaii!

Us too!! The Old Lahaina Luau was our favourite luau - it was just awesome!

Here is a link to the Old Lahaina Luau site if you want to check it out.

Other people who have said that you don't typically go a luau for the food are right. Don't get me wrong, the food is good - but it's not gourmet... it's more casual.

If you want a taste of traditional Hawaiian culture though, then a luau will be enjoyed by all. For us, it's a must-do activity on every trip to Hawaii!

What other Luaus have you attended? And what did you like or dislike about each? Thanks.

We will be making our 2nd trip to Hawaii in March. We were there several years ago and attended a luau; it was simply beautiful. While we will not attend another one on our upcoming trip, I would say that a trip to Hawaii is simply not complete without experiencig a luau. The one we attended was in Lahaina and worth every cent--beautiful!

Archived