Dawn Menus -New, Revised, Final

jaja

And he has been saying that for months. Now they're on version #5. This experiment has been going on for so long that you would think it's time to either fish or cut bait. I have the feeling that NCL corporate is not as enthusiastic about this as Hugo is. I suspect the survey feedback they've been getting is not as positive as what passengers have told Hugo in person.

IMO, I suspect what Hugo is conveying would be accurate. I also expect that the repo, booked to full capacity with a large latitudes population, will carry some weight too. :)

IMO, I suspect what Hugo is conveying would be accurate. I also expect that the repo, booked to full capacity with a large latitudes population, will carry some weight too. :)

Since we're on there twice as long as the normal cruiser, it will be interesting to see what they come up with the second week. :D

Hugo told us at our CC Meet & Greet the other day that we're on Menu #5 this week for the first time. He also said they will be coming to each ship, one by one very soon.

We're having a great time and the weather is beautiful!

Jackie

Anyone have pictures of the "new" version?

We're home and I'm not happy about that!!! We had a great time, but it went by too quickly!!! I guess I'll have to start looking for our next cruise now! :D

I was not crazy about the new menus since DH and I are not much for fish or lamb, and we try not to eat red meat too often. (mostly him, but I can't resist the filet and eggs in Cagney's)

I think most people will find something they like since they did have 3 additional choices every night.

I did have the NY Strip and I only had a couple of bites. :( My friend had it the same night and hers was very good, but mine was over done and had sort of a liver texture. The service was excellent and our waiter did ask if I wanted another one or something else, but I said no thank you.

We went to Aqua on lobster night and also on our last night. We preferred going to the Garden Cafe :eek: and being able to choose from a larger menu.

I'm editing them now and will post them to my webshots album shortly. Sorry about some of the reflections, but a lot of them were behind glass and I bought a new camera the day before we left, so still learning.

• 1 month later...

I've been on 6 NCL cruises. The last one being on the Dawn October 4th. Everywhere I look people seem to be eating mountains of food. So it can't be all that bad. I always seem to eat heaps and put on an average of 8lbs. It's hard to please everyone. We all have such different tastes. I only ever eat at the buffet or the main dining rooms. I figure there's so much food everywhere I might as well use the money for the specialty restaurants to go out to dinner when I'm home.

I find you can make requests to change anything on the menu and I've been known to order the lobster tail with the sirloin so i can have reef and beef. if you don't like your dish, you can also reorder. I am also regarded by most of my friends as an extremely fussy eater. I think what also happens is, many people overeat and so they're eating when they're not really hungry. We all know how much better food tastes when your hungry. On the positive side I guess if the food wasn't enjoyable think of all the weight we could lose.

I just got off the Dawn and was totally dissapointed in the new menus in the main dining rooms. It is boring having the same 5 items every day with just 2 new items daily.

It is obvious that NCL wants to steer guests to the specialty restaurants. On my 9 day, they offered 1/2 off in most of the specialty restauranys daily.

The dining experience is so superior in them , that once you eat in one, you will never want to go back to the main dining rooms. Much better food, and service.

I had dinner with the Captian one evening and he said that the menue has changed 4 times recently. They are not sure what will be permanent.

I personally liked the old format!:)

....It is obvious that NCL wants to steer guests to the specialty restaurants. On my 9 day, they offered 1/2 off in most of the specialty restauranys daily.

The dining experience is so superior in them , that once you eat in one, you will never want to go back to the main dining rooms. Much better food, and service.

Were the specialty restaurants crowded on your cruise? On our Dec. 4th nine day, despite the 1/2 half off offer every night, the specialty restaurants were obviously underused.

I just got off the Dawn and was totally dissapointed in the new menus in the main dining rooms. It is boring having the same 5 items every day with just 2 (actually it is 3) new items daily.

I found the menus to be very satisfying and only repeated one thing from the "fixed" menu only because I love braised lamb shank. But, I will admit that these menus are not for everyone. And as soon as they fix the menus to suit you, others will be here stating that they dislike these "new" menus.

It is obvious that NCL wants to steer guests to the specialty restaurants. On my 9 day, they offered 1/2 off in most of the specialty restauranys daily.

This charge has been made since NCL started offering specialty restaurants and will continue for all eternity.

If they are steering people to the specialty restaurants why are they so empty. Economy, economy, economy!!! We had 2 fers every night during our repo and the dining rooms were will still brimming with passengers and the specialties were very very under utilized. I guess they haven't made the service and food bad enought yet. :rolleyes:

Just my own opinion, but, I did not find the service any different from the dining rooms to the specialties. As is said many times, many way, opinions vary widely.

I had dinner with the Captian one evening and he said that the menue has changed 4 times recently. They are not sure what will be permanent.

Personally, I doubt the Captain had this much of an opinion on the Dawn's menus, as I have met and dined with both Captains that master the Norwegian Dawn. Yes, the menus have changed a few times in the past few months. They have been working on this new menu structure for quite some time now. This is not new news as this "menu" discussion has been raging for a few months now.

...and I personally like this new format. Viva La Differance!![/quote]

Thanks for your input, But...

Please notice this thread was ressurected from late Octeber with well over 230 posts. So , the topic has been well discussed. Your opinions have been added to the record. :rolleyes:

PE

I just got off the Dawn and was totally disappointed in the new menus in the main dining rooms. It is boring having the same 5 items every day with just 2 new items daily.

It is obvious that NCL wants to steer guests to the specialty restaurants. On my 9 day, they offered 1/2 off in most of the specialty restaurants daily.

I had dinner with the captian one evening and he said that the menu has changed 4 times recently. They are not sure what will be permanent.

One of the reasons they offer specials in the specialty restaurants is to alleviate some of the crowd in the main dining rooms, especially on Lobster night

From what I have seen of the new menus, it will be the specialty restaurants every night, just as it has been on our last NCL cruise. We ate in the MDR only one night last cruise and that was lobster night. We may do that again, but the menus definitely make it seem NCL wants people to spend the money for the other restaurants.

How sad!!!!

How sad!!!!

...from such an authority on NCL. :(

When exactly are you scheduled to sail on the Dawn, to actually try the menus out for yourself, to make a truly educated decision?

PE<--- loves when the other lines cheerleaders come over to blast things they know little about... :rolleyes:

I guess it's just my sense of adventure but I am really looking forward to trying the new menus. I have yet to go on ANY cruise where I could not find something on the menu that I enjoyed. I also want to do some of the specialty restaurants that I have not tried.

Thanks for your input, But...

Please notice this thread was ressurected from late Octeber with well over 230 posts. So , the topic has been well discussed. Your opinions have been added to the record. :rolleyes:

PE

Excuse me! I did not know you were appointed to monitor how well discussed a thread is. I also note that you have thousands of posts but not nearly as many cruises as you would let us believe.....

If I were to count sea days not cruises I would have over 470.

Just for the record

From what I have seen of the new menus, it will be the specialty restaurants every night, just as it has been on our last NCL cruise. We ate in the MDR only one night last cruise and that was lobster night. We may do that again, but the menus definitely make it seem NCL wants people to spend the money for the other restaurants.

How sad!!!!

Disagree completely. The new menus will entice us to dine more often in the main dining rooms. I wish people would stop generalizing based on their own, single opinion. Because katie didn't care for the new menus is no reason to draw the sweeping conclusions quoted above. Amazing how people can assume the rest of the world will have the same opinion they do, and then attribute motive to someone else (in this case, NCL) based on what? Reading minds? Nonsense.

To be fair i guess I would have to say it's 50-50 for us. However I don't think NCL was playing fair when they gave us Lobster and Prime Rib in the same week. ;) This was on the Dawn 14 day repo in November.

I don't like either but my DW was crazy about both. I always found something to eat though so suppose it was okay. Actually, the Tortellini was absolutely fantastic the night they had it. I was hoping it would be a repeat item but no luck.

All-in-All my DW was quite satisfied with the menus, whereas I (admittedly a picky eater) never went Hungary

...from such an authority on NCL. :(

When exactly are you scheduled to sail on the Dawn' date=' to actually try the menus out for yourself, to make a truly educated decision?[/color']

PE<--- loves when the other lines cheerleaders come over to blast things they know little about... :rolleyes:

Since you know so much about me, perhaps you can tell me how/why I disliked the food on my previous NCL cruises. You can also tell me when I a going on NCL again.

I am entitled to my opinion just as you are and for your info, I have cruised on NCL and didn't like the food then and I have said many times I will sail NCL again. I just happen to not like their food and their new menu doesn't seem to include choices that I have found better on other lines.

From what I understand NCL Sky, I think it is, will be sailing from Pt Canaveral and I will be sailing on that ship when it does. I also plan to sail on Epic, but I don't have a date for that yet, so don't be so smug!

If you are sooooooooo concerned about me, read some of my posts and you will see I am not a cheerleader for any cruiseline---but I guess that would take away some of your time and make you look like a fool.

Since you know so much about me, perhaps you can tell me how/why I disliked the food on my previous NCL cruises. You can also tell me when I a going on NCL again.

I am entitled to my opinion just as you are and for your info, I have cruised on NCL and didn't like the food then and I have said many times I will sail NCL again. I just happen to not like their food and their new menu doesn't seem to include choices that I have found better on other lines.

From what I understand NCL Sky, I think it is, will be sailing from Pt Canaveral and I will be sailing on that ship when it does. I also plan to sail on Epic, but I don't have a date for that yet, so don't be so smug!

If you are sooooooooo concerned about me, read some of my posts and you will see I am not a cheerleader for any cruiseline---but I guess that would take away some of your time and make you look like a fool.

Well, where do I start? You stated you did not like the menus on your previous NCL cruises and I asked when you were sailing the Dawn to experience the menus you were complaining about on this thread. Since this thread is about the new Dawn menus and you appear to have not sailed on the Dawn yet and definitely not with the menus that are being discussed here.

I never said you were not entitled to your opinion. But, you seem to think that if I state my opinion about your opinion that is somehow censoring your opinion. :confused::confused::confused:

I never suggested that you have such a disdain about NCL that you would never sail them again. Again, I was pointing out that you had not sailed the Dawn and sampled the menus that were being discussed on this thread.

For your information it is the Sun that will be sailing out Port Canaveral. And I hope you enjoy the Epic whenever you figure out a sailing date. I did not say anything about any sailing date for any ship other than asking when you are sailing on the Dawn to sample the menus that are being discussed here on this thread that you were complaining about. I don't quite understand how that somehow makes me smug????

Again I am not soooooooooo concerned about you. I did read quite a few of your other posts here on Cruise Critic and you do not seem to have anything nice to say about NCL at all. In every comparison with Carnival or Royal Caribbean, NCL is always deemed to be far inferior, almost to the point of asking how do they stay in business. That along with these very recent posting on NCL, with no real history of posting here, one could assume that you have a disdain for NCL. But, once again I was only asking when you are sailing on the Dawn so you could persoanlly partake of the menus that were being discussed on this thread that you seem to be complaining about.

Now I ask you, if you cannot answer the question at hand and simply bring up other red herrings who is actually the fool??????????

PE

Thanks for your input' date=' But...[/color']

PE

Excuse me! I did not know you were appointed to monitor how well discussed a thread is. I also note that you have thousands of posts but not nearly as many cruises as you would let us believe.....

If I were to count sea days not cruises I would have over 470.

Just for the record.

I just love these partial quotes to make some sublime point.

I am not here to monitor how well a thread/topic is discussed. If you would have quoted my whole response to you, everyone would have seen that I had completely answered/discussed every point that you had made. And if you had read the whole thread you would have gleaned all of the information/opinions that I summarized for you.

Now how you make a leap that somehow I have "not nearly as many cruises as you would let us believe" based on the number of posts I have here and then bring in the number of days at sea is an incredibly interesting point. How does the number of posts I have here equate to the number of cruises I have taken. I think more interesting is the number of posts I have here compared to how long I have been a member is more telling. I don't answer a lot of question that have already been answered and/or discussed. I read whole threads before I answer/comment and only if the answer has not been given in the previous posts. Then I figure out if I ammadding to the discussion or just rehashing something ad nauseum.

Now as to the number of days at sea compared to my number of cruises. I think you are trying to make the link that somehow my math is incorrect so I must be lying about the number of cruises I have taken or at least the number of days at sea I say. I could go through the complete list of the 29 cruises I have taken an tell you the exact number of days each one was. Suffice it to say that not a single cruise is less than 7 days, and 4 are 14 days and more than a few are 10, 11,or 12 days.

So please go back and read at least my whole response to you (let alone the whole thread) before you go taking unwarranted pot shots at me. :mad:

PE

Here I do agree with Sottovoce. As much as I do prefer the old style menu, during our recent sailing on Dawn I checked and rechecked the specialty restaurant menus, and always ended up dining in MDR. Not that the specialty restaurants failed to be tempting (for my wife -- my extra-restrictive diet made these restaurants rather irrelevant for me), but there were always entrees in MDR which looked interesting enough to my wife.

Bill

I just love these partial quotes to make some sublime point.

I am not here to monitor how well a thread/topic is discussed. If you would have quoted my whole response to you' date=' everyone would have seen that I had completely answered/discussed every point that you had made. And if you had read the whole thread you would have gleaned all of the information/opinions that I summarized for you.[/color']

Now how you make a leap that somehow I have "not nearly as many cruises as you would let us believe" based on the number of posts I have here and then bring in the number of days at sea is an incredibly interesting point. How does the number of posts I have here equate to the number of cruises I have taken. I think more interesting is the number of posts I have here compared to how long I have been a member is more telling. I don't answer a lot of question that have already been answered and/or discussed. I read whole threads before I answer/comment and only if the answer has not been given in the previous posts. Then I figure out if I ammadding to the discussion or just rehashing something ad nauseum.

Now as to the number of days at sea compared to my number of cruises. I think you are trying to make the link that somehow my math is incorrect so I must be lying about the number of cruises I have taken or at least the number of days at sea I say. I could go through the complete list of the 29 cruises I have taken an tell you the exact number of days each one was. Suffice it to say that not a single cruise is less than 7 days, and 4 are 14 days and more than a few are 10, 11,or 12 days.

So please go back and read at least my whole response to you (let alone the whole thread) before you go taking unwarranted pot shots at me. :mad:

PE

Thanks but I have better things to do than to argue or take pot shots at you....like pack for my 67th cruise:D

Thanks but I have better things to do than to argue or take pot shots at you....like pack for my 67th cruise:D

Too late, it was already taken. It is a real coward who cannot answer to a rebuttal to a cheap shot. Albeit a cheap shot based on a paraphrased quote taken completely out of context. ;)

Have great cruise no matter which one it is. :rolleyes: Even though I find it interesting that you would even step foot aboard an NCL ship. What, with all of the negative perceptions you have of NCL I would think you would prefer to spend your money else where. But, I guess you can overlook a line that you believes lie about just about everything and are just horrible to their crew. Go figure!!!!

PE

Archived