How many pictures did you take?

MaiTaiMary

question for those who like to take a lot of pictures.:D

How many pictures did you take on your 7 or 8 day cruise?

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy another card for my camera. I like to take a lot of picture, but I really have no idea how many "a lot" will be to me on this cruise. *LOL*

We take probably 1000, take your laptop and just download pictures from your memory card each day directly onto your laptop and then delete them from the memory card... reuse! Voila! Lesson learned: do not attempt to format card unless you have downloaded the pictures :( you WILL lose them...also take your camera to the camera shop and have them help you format camera so your pictures are not saving at 1 MB each... they can be saved with excellent quality at a much smaller size...

If you are going to places you have never been I would figure about 200 a port day and 50 on a sea day. Then buy an extra card to be safe. Cards are inexpensive enough so that I am not a fan of downloading the pictures and overwriting the card. I like to have a backup. Also, if you have never cruised before, add about 20 percent because there are pictures you will take the first time that you will not take on succeeding cruises.

Enjoy!

question for those who like to take a lot of pictures.

How many pictures did you take on your 7 or 8 day cruise?

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy another card for my camera. I like to take a lot of picture, but I really have no idea how many "a lot" will be to me on this cruise. *LOL*

How many a person takes varies widely depending on what you shoot, style and where you are going.

Are you one to shoot your room, the ship interior, food, scenery?

Are you one that shoots people and events?

How do you shoot? Take 10 shots in rapid fire on a DSLR tweeking pictures or just a couple with a P&S?

I can see people shooting anywhere from 10 shots a day to 200-300 shots a day.

Regardless of how you shoot, I'd say get another card. They are so cheap these days even a 16GB SD ( can store thousands of pictures ) runs less then the cost of a couple drinks.

As a tip, I'd not recommend you do NOT erase your cards after you download them to your laptop or other storage on ship. Best to wait till you are home have the pictures backed up on PC and backup drive/disk before reformatting the cards. Donwloading on vacation is a great way to reduce risk of corruption and lost and allows you to view/edit/enjoy your pictures, but to delete and reuse the cards is being penny wise and pound foolsih. Memory cards are so cheap it isn't worth the chance of your storage/pcitures on ship gets corrupt. A HDD in a laptop is more prone to crashing and losing your pictures then a flash card. The reality is buy a good high quality flash card and it is more reliable, durable then any HDD.

Happy shooting

On our 8-day cruise in May, I took...well, I SAVED...356 photos and about a dozen wmv videos. I had a 5GB SD card and took high-res pix, and STILL had space left on the card at the end of the cruise. That didn't stop me from bringing a second 2GB card along, though. I also had 2 spare camera batteries and had to use 1 of them.

We were a party of 5, including my 3-year-old. I am the unofficial family photographer (when hubby actually takes the camera, he winds up just carrying it around with him), but my mom and our friend also took some pics during the cruise.

I'm not sure if this is a factor, but our ports of call were Nassau (I didn't leave the ship), St. Thomas, and St. Maarten.

Most of the pictures are of my daughter because when photographing my youngster, I have to take multiple shots of the same event/pose, because she's ALWAYS moving, talking, has her eyes closed, or looking away.

See I take thousands... cause I rapid fire off from my DSLR (I'll take 3 of the same picture, just to make sure I got what I wanted... )

It's only memory... plus... I download to my laptop every day.

I usually carry 2 cards... one 2 GB backup CF card, and 1 4 GB CF card.

Our last 7 day cruise I used just under 4G of memory from my SD cards. Did shoot quite a bit of video, though. Our last trip to Italy (11 days)I used about 8G of memory....again I shot a lot of video. That probably wouldn't have been too bad except that we were actually going back to 2 places we had been several years before that I already took over a 1000 pictures of the old fashioned way. :eek:

Probably around 200 which doesn't sound like much compared to some others but I kind of try to take just what I want instead of using the machine gun approach which is very tempting with digital photography.

Next time I'm planning on around 350-400..high resolution..all the time.

By the way, I dig your name.

Archived