Best time to see whales

fedorad

The best way to be assured to see whales is to go out on an excursion boat. We went on the Allen Miller tour with our ship-Ryndam last Tuesday in Juneau in the morning. We saw 21 whales in all. We actually saw a group of 8 humpback whales together. We saw 3 Orca whales and several harbor seals. There were some bald eagles on an island. Most of the whales breached for us. The most amazing sight for us was when 2 humpback whales were swimming side by side. They actually breached at exactly the same time and slid into the water together. We were able to get it on video.

The best way to be assured to see whales is to go out on an excursion boat. We went on the Allen Miller tour with our ship-Ryndam last Tuesday in Juneau in the morning. We saw 21 whales in all. We actually saw a group of 8 humpback whales together. We saw 3 Orca whales and several harbor seals. There were some bald eagles on an island. Most of the whales breached for us. The most amazing sight for us was when 2 humpback whales were swimming side by side. They actually breached at exactly the same time and slid into the water together. We were able to get it on video.

WOW, were you lucky!! I hope you post your pictures.

I went out of Icy Strait/Hoonah 2 weeks ago Wed and saw one breach, one sleeping, and a couple of fins and tails. I asked Floyd from FISHES when the best time to come for whales and he told me June and July. If you are really interested in whales, I would go out in Juneau and Hoonah (if you go there). It wouldn't have done us any good as the people that I talked to that went out in Juneau on our cruise didn't see much either. It's the luck of the draw.

For clarification- You have the potential to see humpbacks the entire cruise season. After the third week of May, they are fully migrated. The above information is incorrect. They do not migrate back until about November- and certainly NOT in August.

Orcas are totally by chance and not as likely to be seen in Alaska. These transients have a huge range of hundreds of miles. Where as the humpbacks can be counted on in the concentrated feeding areas of Auke Bay and Point Adolphus. Whale watch tour sightings are 100%.

You could enhance your trip by doing some research and find out more about these fasinating animals.

On a whale watch, expect NOTHING more than blows, backs and tails. Anything else is a gift and can NOT be counted on for frequent sightings.

IF a priority to see whales whale watches are highly recommende. Their priority is closer and more extended looks. I always have seen them many times from a cruise ship. BUT, I spend all my time out on deck, have a good pair of wide angle binoculars- absolutely necessary, and know the areas. A ship naturalist can be a valuable source of whale activity information. Time, is needed, and so is proper attire. Front viewing is the best area.

IF orcas are you priority, then I strongly suggest you add several more days and get yourself to Vancouver Island. There are the 6 resident orca pods, southern and northern. I did get skunked this year with the southern pods, waited them out 3 days and they never did get within boat tour range. I have had many great trips in the past, however, with both the northern and southern groups.

This year, I've gone on 3 trips out to Gloucester Ma, and on 11 whale watches of humpbacks.

I never tire of seeing them.

On a whale watch, expect NOTHING more than blows, backs and tails. Anything else is a gift and can NOT be counted on for frequent sightings.

IF a priority to see whales whale watches are highly recommended. Their priority is closer and more extended looks.

This is absolutely right. We enjoy those ship's excursions with Allen Marine on their big comfortable boats. But there are some independents frequently recommended on this board who have smaller boats and smaller groups that are very popular too.

We have seen whales every time we have gone on a whale watching tour, at all times of the season from May to September. We have also been lucky at seeing them from the ship a few times, once a spectacular pod including breaching. But that is even more chancy.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I would suggest that you call the different companies that book Whale Watching Tours

and talk to them about when is the best time for viewing whales. Most companies

have 800 numbers or email addresses. I am sure they will be happy to help you.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/whales/species/Humpbackwhale.shtml

there are some resident humpbacks that never leave the juneau area..mostly older females or very young males. it is possible to see humpback any time of the year or day.

you will see more humpbacks when the majority return from hawaii in the spring. since they don't eat while in hawaii, they are in a BIG hurry to get back to the food rich waters of alaska.

i was in juneau on a september cruise and still saw humpbacks..in fact we only when 15 mins from the small boat dock before we saw our 1st "blow"...never were very far from land or the dock. since they are in the wilds, there is no telling (for sure)...but the tour operators have a very good idea of where the humpbacks are each day. they have a constant radio chatter that keeps them informed.

• 4 weeks later...
I got an impression that you can spot whales during the whole cruise season. You can see whales from the ship deck too. Need to spend some time with a good pair of binoculars.

Yes, humpbacks can be seen, but clearly not as easily as you may expect. It can require a great deal of invested time that needs to be forward viewing, if you are serious about more success. It is necessary to have a GOOD pair of WIDE ANGLE binoculars. You need to track from ahead and keep following until the ship passes. Proper attire, is also necessary, if you are planning on viewing from outside. I know the areas, most do not. If your ship has a naturalist, then GET FRIENDLY. :) They are invaluable. Educate your self about humpbacks. I find some "interesting" myths that area popular, which I do clarify for accuracy. Educating yourself on behaviors, can greatly enhance your sightings and knowing what you are looking at.

Did my first Alaska cruise in June this year. Highly recommend the Photo Safari excursion out of Juneau. Saw more Orca than humback in Auke Bay. We say the most humpback up around Sitka and then again as we cruised down to Vancouver from Ketchikan. So even though it was June was saw plenty of whale. :)

Archived