Truth about Rum Point Beach--Please

Oompaland

Ouch! How far is this place from the port?

By car, Rum Point is about a 45 minute drive each way.

It's much faster to get there by boat, which is why most people do excursions that stop there as part of the trip (usually Stingray City is the other stop).

The Reef, Ray and Rum Point tour was the best tour we've ever done at any port! We have done this tour 3 times and Rum Point was the reason why! After you get off the dock, walk to the left, it's a desserted area, we went exploring along the rocks! Here's some pics of this paradise:

fixed.jpg.3bbf8cf7aedb0feafccd966f14f8f0fa.jpg

IM000106.jpg.47d4d63decd300fc1f449e82700caed3.jpg

IM000107.jpg.b2e0fd5459bd68c770afd11d62e4ea69.jpg

IM000115.jpg.b1322bd0f87796cd7ccfd4017814983c.jpg

IM000124.jpg.04941e3d8e52524f8b06d38b8ee9be92.jpg

Yes, that's us, GLory 11/29/09! We were on the Valor for our first cruise and LOVED it. That'd be fun if you'd be on our RRR tour...I have a son who's 6 and a DD who will be 10. There's a bunch of us from our group on the RRR tour...it will be a good time!

MamaParrotHead - Well it looks like we will not be together. After much back and forth with Carnival - the Valor was rescheduled to Dec 4 but now I see we are back to the 1st and the Glory is going there on the 4th. Does this affect any of your excursions?

MamaParrotHead - Well it looks like we will not be together. After much back and forth with Carnival - the Valor was rescheduled to Dec 4 but now I see we are back to the 1st and the Glory is going there on the 4th. Does this affect any of your excursions?

Yes indeedy it does. Especially the fact that we weren't scheduled to arrive in GC until AFTER the RRR tour was to have left. Luckily Sharon hooked us up and pushed back the tour departure time to accomodate our group. Had to contact ALL the other tour operators as well.

We did RRR with Nativeway 4 weeks ago. It's a great tour! Definitely go with them instead of the cruise line. The others boats at stingray city were jammed with people. We only had 20. The snorkel stop was probably half way between stingray city and rum point beach. It was good to. I saw some really cool fish, and lots of them. I also saw some amazing corals with bright colors that I have never seen before.

I was just glad that I was back in the boat when that hammerhead shark was swimming around the boat! Actually we were nearly to the dock at Rum Point. It was huge! Probably 10 feet or more. Definitely glad I saw him after I was done snorkeling!

Here is a link to our trip photos. I took a bunch at Rum Point. It is so pretty...

http://wxnet.net/cruise-sep09/cruise-sep09.htm

We did RRR with Nativeway 4 weeks ago. It's a great tour! Definitely go with them instead of the cruise line. The others boats at stingray city were jammed with people. We only had 20. The snorkel stop was probably half way between stingray city and rum point beach. It was good to. I saw some really cool fish, and lots of them. I also saw some amazing corals with bright colors that I have never seen before.

I was just glad that I was back in the boat when that hammerhead shark was swimming around the boat! Actually we were nearly to the dock at Rum Point. It was huge! Probably 10 feet or more. Definitely glad I saw him after I was done snorkeling!

Here is a link to our trip photos. I took a bunch at Rum Point. It is so pretty...

http://wxnet.net/cruise-sep09/cruise-sep09.htm

I like your pics of cozumel - what did you do there?

Oompland--Why don't you just rent a car and drive over to Rum Point beach? We have done this several times. You can reserve a car before you leave on your cruise and they pick you up right at the pier to take you to get the car. OR, you can just get off the ship, and at the pier, rent a car, there are several companies representatives there. Even though driving is on the left hand side of the road, it is very easy. In town, just follow all the traffic. Then, once you get out of town, just stay on the "wrong" side of the road. I have driven there 3 times. The first 2 times, we had a left hand drive vehicle (american made). The 3rd time there, we had one that was driver on the right hand side. I thought it would be hard to drive like that, but it actually made it easier.

Rum Point beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. It is only about a 45 min. drive there. Very easy to navigate the island. Last time we were there, we rented our vehicle, drove over to see "Hell", then back through Georgetown, and across the island to Rum Point beach. It is truly a fabulous place to visit.

Hi debshomespun-

We rented a car to Rum Point for the day once. It was great. We might do it again.

What car rental company did you use that picked you up at the pier?

Did you reserve the car and they were waiting for you at the dock to take you to their agency?

How is the restaurant there?

I like it. It's a beach bar type restaurant, with food served in baskets out on picnic tables on the sand. Very good sandwiches, especially the jerk pork. And they make a great mudslide... :D

Do they rent waverunners?

Yup, there's a Red Sail shop there that rents waverunners and snorkel equipment. http://www.redsailcayman.com/en/activities/rum-point.html

Nativway includes lunch. Does anyone know what that consists of?

They give you a menu to order from before you get to the beach. Lunch is ready for you when you arrive.

I don't remember all they offer, but I'd say about 10 different options. I always get the Fish 'n Chips.

How is the restaurant there?

Do they rent waverunners?

Everytime I go there, I get the Fish 'n Chips. It's good. I don't remember what the DH gets but he's always enjoyed it.

One thing to remember.....the prices are in Cayman dollars. So it's pretty expensive. Which is why Nativeway is such a good deal.

I really love to watch people (not on a Nativeway tour) place their orders and watch the look of shock on their faces when told the price.

Don't know about the waverunners....I'm sure someone else will know.

This was sent to me by Sharon at Nativeways as the menu of our choices for lunch (when we were there, we had the conch fritters and they were really good..to give you an idea, my lunch, for myself, I ordered the fritters and a strawberry daiquiri, and this was 2 years ago, was $19 and change US):

Rum Point Wreck Bar & Grill

Spicy Red Conch Chowder

Seasonal Fruit Cup topped with yogurt

Conch Fritters with Scotch Bonnet tartar sauce

Tortilla Chips with sour cream & salsa

Caesar Salad with chicken breast or fish

Rum Point Salad ham, turkey, swiss, crispy bacon & ranch dressing

Spicy Mahi-Mahi Caesar Wrap

Rum Point Chicken Wings sweet chili garlic or buffalo style

Chicken Club Sandwich

Blackened Mahi-Mahi Sandwich with mango mayonnaise

Cheeseburger or Jerk CheeseBurger w/lettuce, tomato, onion

Veggie Burger with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato & onion

Jumbo Hotdog add jalapenos cheddar & onion

Jerk Pork Sandwich with Rum Point jerk mayo

Original Fish & Chips with Rum Point tartar sauce

Crispy Chicken Tenders with BBQ or honey mustard sauce

Grilled Chicken Sandwich provolone cheese, pesto, tomato, lettuce, & onion on Boboli bread with a side of lemon aioli

Today’s Catch with rice & beans and corn on the cob

Traditional Style Jerk Pork w/ rice & beans & corn on cob

All Served With Your Choice of Fries or House Salad

And this picture was taken at Rum Point...notice the yellow waverunners off the beach (to the left of the picture). 2116559550071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

Menu is making me hungry!

Mama - just confirming, you did not go to Rum Point via Nativway 2 years ago. Your meal purchase was separate from your excursion.

Also, is the menu you sent Nativway's "picnic lunch" options?

Do you know what the difference between Cayman and American money is? I thought it was $1 US = $0.80 Cayman.

Menu is making me hungry!

Mama - just confirming, you did not go to Rum Point via Nativway 2 years ago. Your meal purchase was separate from your excursion.

Also, is the menu you sent Nativway's "picnic lunch" options?

Do you know what the difference between Cayman and American money is? I thought it was $1 US = $0.80 Cayman.

Yes, the menu was sent from Nativeway. And yes, that last time we went to Rum Point on another tour (a Jeep one that stunk, LOL) and we paid that on our own. I think the rate varies day to day...if all else fails, Google. LOL

Mama, Thanks again!

Is everything working out on the Glory with the reverse of the route? I was in panic mode when I found out it may have been my cruise affected. I feel bad for all on your cruise that had made reservations and now have to remake with the hope that they can accommodate you.

Archived