Caribbean cruise in January? What is the weather?

tikcho

We are contemplating taking a Caribbean cruise in early January of 2010 but I am a little concerned about the weather. We have cruised several times before in Early March and generally had very nice weather. We have a toddler and warm/sunny day are pretty important to us because we usually just spend our time in ports going to the beach or to a resort pool.

Can those of you who have cruise in January offer some input on the weather? Should we do Eastern or Western in regards to weather? I'd prefer to visit the Western but it seems that the Eastern is a bit warmer (in avg temperatures)? Any advice is welcome.

We have had good experiences sailing in January. You can expect the Islands to have nice weather. It is a nice time to visit these Island if you are coming from areas where you are experiencing winter weather.

In terms of the weather, either itinerary would be fine.

If you want to look up historical weather for any of the ports go to http://www.weatherunderground.com

Keith

Thanks! I checked WeatherUnderground and it seems the Eastern ports get higher average temps in January, but these are just average. I did speak with a co-worker who went this January and got really crappy weather and rain most of the days so that's why I wanted to ge input from more people who've been.

We did both Eastern and Western the last week of January until the first week of February.

I can tell you, for the Eastern cruise, it was cool in Florida before we left (they had a cold snap) So nights we in the 50's. But once we got to the Eastern Carib (St. Martin, St Thomas) it was HOT. Easily in the 80's every day, no problems. And we could swim onboard every day.

Then this past winter we did Western. It was warm in Florida, not hot (high 70's) When we got to Cozumel Mexico, Belize, Costa Maya - it was 68 degrees in the daytime. :eek: So it was warm. But it wasn't really warm. And on the ship, we froze. No one stepped foot in the solarium pool all week. The hot tubs were filled. The kids swam all week in the H20 zone (they were nuts, I wrapped up in towels and sweat shirts...lol)

So since we were coming from 10 and 20 degree temps, yes, we were wearing shorts all week in ports and loving the high 60's. But it wasn't hot.

We did a 5 day western on the Inspiration last Jan and had awful weather. We live in Florida and we freezed our butts off. We had a cold snap here and ended up having awful weather almost the whole time on our cruise. It was really windy and we spent our time on deck wrapped in towels. I've been on over 10 cruises and we usually cruise in Oct and have never had bad weather. I won't be going in Jan again. If I were you I'd definately go Eastern your further out and I think the weather will be better. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have gone on 5 cruises from Fla in Jan / Feb and weather consistently great in E and W Carribean. Leaving from Fla, usually it is only in the 70's, occas. shower, water is rougher 1st day out and back, and one day really windy 1st day out. Islands: mid-80's and sunny always for us so far.

we sailed new years a few years ago and had crappy weather. A cold front that extended too far south and made for very rough seas, cancelled ports and cool rainy weather. The weather in Caymans was cool, no cold enough to not swim but cool and the port day was shortened because of the rough seas and tendering. Jamaica was cancelled altogether for us do to rough seas. I hear it is a fluke though and most people have warm weather and nice seas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived