First time cruiser - What area of the ship is best?

mong1114

I am planning to take my first Disney cruise in March, with a 5 and 8 year old. I've only cruised once before and that was 8 years ago. I am trying to decide what category to choose and was hoping for some information. I know I don't want a verandah with my rambunctious daughter (and don't want to pay an extra $1000 when I don't plan to be in the room). I was leaning towards a Category 8 oceanview but have now heard that all of the oceanview rooms are at the front of the ship and in order to get the middle, I will have to book a room with a verandah. I wanted a room in the middle because I understand that is where you feel the least motion and I do remember being a little queasy the first day last time. I was told that the alternative is to book a Category 9 and choose a room in the middle of the deck but these are all located on Decks 1 and 2. I've heard that it is not good to be on the lower decks. Help!!! Any recommendations from cruisers who have experienced both? Thank you all so much!

I've heard that it is not good to be on the lower decks.

That's not necessarily true. On our first 7-nighter, we were on deck # 1, near the midpoint of the ship's length, and it was quite comfortable. We barely noticed any movement, and it was not at all noisy. We have subsequently been on the 5th and 8th deck, both toward the rear of the ship, and again felt very little "rock and roll". The DCL ships are equipped with a very effective stabilizer system - picture a set of underwater airplane wings that they extend outward from the hull while at sea.

Actually the lower decks have less motion in my opinion. I love deck 2.

If you look at the ship there are port hole windows all the way down the side of the ship, so they are not all towards the front.

I do agree the front has more motion than mid ship so you should stay away from that area.

But as stated above the ship is usually a smooth ride. When you first leave port you do cross the current for a few hours so its a tad bit bumpy but after that it is usually pretty smooth due to the stabilizers.

Thank you for the info. I should have clarified, when I was referring to Deck 2 not being good, I wasn't referring to the movement. A colleague said to stay away from the lower decks because it is too close to the "back of the house" where a lot of the operations take place and is usually not convenient. Glad to hear you liked Deck 2, mom x4, Grandma X4! I am thinking that regardless of what deck we are on, we will have a great time, I just need to focus on getting a cabin mid-ship. I don't plan to be in the room anyway!!! Thank you all for your help!

We have had a deck 2 cabin and had no issues with noise You might want to try rooms in the 2072-2108 range. Definitely stay away from rooms under the adult only club area. While I don't have any real experience there may be night noise coming through the floor.

The Promenade Lounge is plays more sedate music so less worries there. In fact our cabin (inside) was right under that lounge and we never had an issue with noise at night.

I would agree with the other posters that any part of the midship area is pretty safe as far as motion goes. I would also avoid a room over any of the clubs as you may hear some of the noise.

DCL does offer motion sickness pills free outside the Deck 1 medical clinic on the wall for free. 1 tab every 12 hours. They don't make you tired either.

I would do a room with a porthole with the younger kids and I wouldn't pay extra for a Verandah with a busy child. You may not think you won't be in your room much, but we find ourselves there quite frequently for naps or mid day showers so it's nice to have sunlight since inside staterooms are always dark. We haven't had an inside stateroom, but others have stated they liked it cause they could sleep in and others complained they didn't know if it was three in the afternoon or three in the morning because it's always dark. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in another really.

Have fun either way you choose!!

We were on deck 2, middle, and had no problems with noise, etc. We were near the laundry room. Noise wasn't bad there either. Deck 2 is also an easy access to most areas, other than the pool areas. You really can't go wrong with what you select.

Enjoy!

Archived