Your own sodas

like-to-cruise

Does HAL allow you to bring your own sodas on board?

I took a 12-pack of diet-coke on our 11-day Maasdam Holiday Cruise. Returned today with 4 or 5 of them. First night I purchased a "unlimited soda card" for $44.95 plus 15% gratuity (included a large colored plastic "bubble" glass - which I used sometimes, but not always). I had no problem using the soda card anywhere on the ship. The glasses of soda served to me were not "small" as I had previously read. If I wanted more, I just stopped at a bar and got another glass. Even the wine steward brought me all the diet-coke I wanted with dinner. Personally (just my opinion!), it wasn't worth the space it took in the suitcase (or the weight!) to carry it on board. Have a great cruise whatever you decide!

As someone who loves code red mountain dew, I take soda on board as there is none available and never had a problem carrying it on. However it is heavy and cumbersome to carry on too much. So have done all methods of soda drinking. Buying individual drinks, buying soda card and bringing my own. I guess I think all methods are ok and its just whatever the individual feels best about. I think the original thread was just if it was possible to bring them onboard and the answer I have found to be is yes and have never been questioned about it.

Have a great cruise.;)

Mary

We just carried on a small collapsable cooler of diet ginger ale and cokes. No even said anything to us. We thought it was nice to be in the room and have access to them right then and there. Our stewards emptied our cooler for us so they could be cold. People might say that it was tacky to do that - maybe so - but we did make many other drink purchases while cruising. It was mainly for my diet ginger ale fixes and for convenience (although carrying the very heavy cooler was not all that convenient).

We always pick up a 12 pack of soda and some bottled water the night before and put it in a carry on bag. Then we empty the contents of the mini bar into an empty drawer and replace it with what we brought on board. The only problem we run into is when on HAL and they lock up the mini-bars on the last full day of the cruise. Wish they would just provide you with an empty fridge if requested and leave it unlocked for the entire cruise.

I am a caffeine-free diet Dr. Pepper fan and of course, any ship I have ever sailed has never had any!

My husband gave me a cooler that holds 6 or eight cans of soda that has straps so that it can be carried just like a backpack. Throw a few cans in with some ice and you can take it anywhere and the cans stay cold all day. The upper portion is netting and holds beach towels, sunblock and the like. Double duty and very handy!

When I cruised on the Oosterdam, I purchased a six pack of coke and two large bottles of water. I'm not a big fan of fountain soda, I just prefer the cans. My Steward kept them iced in a bucket for my trip.

I'm not a big soda fan, but I do like to drink them. The drinks that I didn't open I left for my steward.

If you like a certain type of soda, take them on board.

One suggestion, take a sports bottle, I had the bartenders to fill them with ice for me. That way I could pour my drink in the bottle and drink.

We usually arrive in FLL (or whatever the departure port is) the day before an rent a car to check thing out and have mobility.

We check our luggage in at dockside at around 10:30 - 11:00am then head out for "provisions" in local supermarkets (there's a good one on the causeway about a mile north of the dock). We buy a few 6 packs of soda and a few snacks (like triscuits) that we like but aren't available on board.

We then return to the dock and check ourselves in leaving the rental car in the short term parking. Our luggage is usually in the room, so, once we're settled, we return to the car, bring in the groceries, then I return the car to the rental station while my wife finishes unpacking.

When I get back to the ship, it's right on board and we're ready to go.

(BTW with luggage weight limits on airlines, it's really not worth the cost for excess baggage to lug your own soda from home.)

Since there are many times that I don't finish a whole can, I find the 1/2 liter bottles works out perfectly for me. They equate to 2 cans of soda. For a 7 day cruise, I take 3 diet Pepsi's & 4 bottle waters. I put them at the bottom of my carryon and find it easier to tote than cans. I used to pack more (they come in a 6 pack) but found I'd end up leaving some behind. I like iced tea so the soft drinks are just for times when I'm in the cabin and I like Diet Pepsi for that morning Caffeine.

Archived