fedorad

Which cruise date  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise date

• May 1st
    • May 9th
    • May 16th
    • May 23rd

I'm not overly concerned about the weather, what I'm concerned about is if the weather affects what i'm able to see. For example not being able to get into Glacier National Park.

If I were to book an early May trip will it inhibit my viewing? Will there be any whales up there at this time?

The price difference is significant as it gets further in the month

A poll isn't going to do you any good. The simple fact is that in an average year the weather improves dramatically about the 3rd week of May. May 20th is the earliest I'll cruise for that reason. Ships can always get into Glacier Bay but whale viewing doesn't get good until mid-month. Only you can decide how much more you're willing to spend to improve the odds.

I agree, a poll may not be anything more than when people went/booked their trips.

I have traveled every timeframe in May. Always, it is better later and definately my clear preference. You may not claim the weather is an issue, but if you get caught up in the potential first sailing of cold compared to fair weather, just a week or too later, it may be a more enjoyable trip.

IF whales are the priority, then for whale watch trips, mid May or later, has more potential sightings. IF you are going round trip Seattle, then you can get some good migration looks, going the first two weeks of May, IF You are willing to spend your entire first and last sailing day out on a front viewing area. Necessary is a good pair of wide angle binoculars. A whale watch is superior for closer extended viewing.

We have sailed in Alaska twice at the end of May. The whales are just starting to get up there at that time of year so having some good sightings can be hit and miss. We went to Glacier Bay last year and it was breathtaking!!!

The whales are just starting to get up there at that time of year so having some good sightings can be hit and miss. COLOR]

This is not true, it is not a "miss". Humpbacks that migrated start arriving end of April with peak migrating sightings running about 3 weeks of May. End of May has few if any in transit. They are already well established in the same feeding grounds.

Archived